PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian suet

RossClement
Aug 10th, 2005, 04:36 PM
I've never used vegetarian suet in cooking. In fact until a few minutes ago I didn't know what suet was apart from it being some form of fat that you could buy.

What do people use it for? Is it necessary for things such as making your own puff pasty?

I note the high hydrogenated fat content.

Cheers,

Ross-c

Pob
Aug 10th, 2005, 04:41 PM
It's pretty much only used for suet puddings and dumplings (to go with stew). It's a very British kind of thing.

Basically the solid suet is mixed with flour and water (and sugar for puddings). When you cook it (steam or boil) the suet melts and expands creating air pockets. You basically end up with a greasy bready type of substance.

Traditionally suet is a solid animal fat, so they hydrogenate vegetable oil to approximate the same consistency.

RossClement
Aug 10th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Thanks. This may be why my attempts at making dumplings have been failures, even though I quite like dumplings in theory. If it requires large amounts of hydrogenated fat to make good dumplings, I think I'll pass. Unless .. remembering the name of this forum .. someone knows a good vegan dumpling recipe.

Cheers,

Ross-c

tails4wagging
Aug 10th, 2005, 05:26 PM
I use it to make thyme and parsley stuffing and suet pudding with jam...yummy