PDA

View Full Version : Jam doughnuts

Pages : [1] 2

Are jam doughnuts vegan? I rationalised that they were in a moment of highly irregular craving, only to discover my much longed for jam was actually custard! I guess that'll teach me...

Cloudy
Aug 11th, 2005, 09:47 PM
My local Marks and Spencer does vegan ones, prepacked in bags of 4, you shouldn't have too much of a problem in London!

Kiran
Aug 11th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Watch out for milk even though some may not contain eggs.

Pob
Aug 12th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Red jam in them may have cochineal/carmine as a colouring, too.

adam antichrist
Aug 13th, 2005, 02:17 AM
Yeah as long as you can ask the manufacturer whats in them you'll be ok, I have seen vegan jam doughnuts (yummmmmmmmm) but mostly I think doughnuts aren't vegan and I always ask first :)

Roxy
Aug 13th, 2005, 02:44 AM
I haven't seen any vegan donuts here in Canada. I once ordered those vegan donut holes from Vegan Essentials. They were good!!! :D

tipsy
Aug 13th, 2005, 03:18 AM
doughnuts scare me! :o

Geoff
Aug 13th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Could we please change the title of this thread to something less tasty (like 'Dog's Vomit') as every time I scroll past it I start to salivate and Dr McDougall says I'm not allowed to eat them anymore. :(

twinkle
Aug 13th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Mmm, delicious dog vomit - that's my absolute fave! :D

...er

Yeah, M&S doughnuts are goooood, but I don't buy them very often because they probably have a kajillion calories in them.

Or you can make your own, very easily if you have a breadmaker and/or deep fat fryer, because the dough is just a sweetened version of bread dough (and anyone who says you have to add powdered milk to breadmaker dough is lying! it's totally unnecessary.)

aubergine
Aug 13th, 2005, 05:50 PM
I have to say I prefer a good ring doughnut over a jam one.

I know... I'm odd.

Roxy
Aug 13th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Mmmmm donuts. Is Geoff salivating like Homer Simpson?

Have I just opened up a big can of vegan M&S worms??? Chicken and vegetable soup??? Urgh??? I only had a moment of dougnut craving!!! Why does everything have to be sooo complicated and difficult??? Actually, I'm even more astonished by the fact that M&S feel the need to tell us about every single item of fresh fruit and veg they sell, to reassure us that they are vegan, as if we needed some help working that one out!!!

Mr Flibble
Sep 14th, 2005, 12:57 PM
well, fresh fruit can be coated in shellac, so I'm all for supermarkets saying what is and isn't vegan even if it does sometimes sound patronising. Co-op label some of their fresh fruit juice specifically as not vegan, as they sometimes use fruit that could have been coated in shellac.

Impressive list on the M&S website.

The best type of donuts are the type freshly out of the fryer, but I've yet to perfect a really good recipe. I've tried a few times now with recipes I've adapted and gotten pretty good results (shape, size, texture etc are fine), but nothing worth posting yet.

Kam
Sep 14th, 2005, 03:10 PM
My local Marks and Spencer does vegan ones, prepacked in bags of 4, you shouldn't have too much of a problem in London!
So anyway, back to the Jam Doughnuts - are they vegan or not? Are they in a special packet or are they the ones you get in the bakery section - they never seem to have an ingredients list that I can see.

Mr Flibble
Sep 14th, 2005, 03:29 PM
So anyway, back to the Jam Doughnuts - are they vegan or not?

well, i think the point was that M&S don't label any of their products vegan on the packaging, and they appear to be very confused on as to what a vegan is anyway. If you wish to trust the ingrediants list, which I personally generally do unless I hear otherwise about a product or company its made by that's upto you, but I don't think anyone currently can say whether anything made by M&S is vegan or not.

Certainly it is possible to produce vegan jam doughnuts, although ring doughnuts are far better :p

xwitchymagicx
Sep 15th, 2005, 09:19 PM
*wants a vegan doughnut* I will find one! Or make one...though I've never even made any sort of doughnut before. :confused:

elflick
Jan 11th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Does anyone know of any supermarkets who are selling vegan doghnuts at the moment? All supermarkets keep changing their recipes...

Mr Flibble
Jan 11th, 2006, 11:51 AM
You can't of course beat making your own - hot fresh doughnuts are always the best :)

maya
Jan 11th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Doughnuts are scary. I might as well just pour sugar in my mouth.

Mr Flibble
Jan 11th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Doughnuts are scary. I might as well just pour sugar in my mouth.

how so? Doughnuts contain little more sugar than bread, and if deep fried properly shouldn't soak up much oil. If you put sugar on the outside then obviously the sugar content goes up, but you can frost them with other things.

Soyalicius
Jun 3rd, 2006, 10:14 PM
I hate to disappoint you but M & S have started putting milk in their doughnuts unfortunetly, as we used to eat a lot of them.

But if anyone does come accross vegan doughnuts pleeeeeaaaaaase let us know.

Cloudy
Jun 5th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Yeah I noticed that a few weeks ago too :(

Oh well, there goes my participation in the office's "doughnut raffle"

Jamie
Jun 5th, 2006, 09:42 PM
wasn't there vegan donuts at somerfield or something??

tofufish
Jun 7th, 2006, 07:54 PM
So anyway, back to the Jam Doughnuts - are they vegan or not? Are they in a special packet or are they the ones you get in the bakery section - they never seem to have an ingredients list that I can see.

The bakery section usually doesn't list ingredients; so you have to ask at the bakery counter to see the ingredients list which they do have. It is a pain, but its better than buying and eating by-products. As a general rule, they have milk in them, and if not then they cannot claim to be dairy free.

veganess
Sep 1st, 2006, 11:31 AM
We have a vegan doughnut shop here in Seattle called Mighty-O, but the doughnuts are cake-style. What I really miss are things like apple fritters and glazed, yeasty doughnuts.