PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Brighton (1)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Marrers
Sep 6th, 2006, 12:53 AM
I passed Iydea the other day and thought some of the food sounded appealing - but sadly they had sold out of the 2 things I would have wanted! It was around 3.30pm on Saturday though.
Will look out for the other one next time I'm there.

Gorilla
Sep 6th, 2006, 01:10 PM
i would be interested to hear what the food's like if you go there before i do, Marrers. :)

last week i had plenty of meals out to celebrate my birthday with various people. on the Wednesday i went to Food For Friends for the first time ever. i would definitely recommend it. i had a starter of tofu pockets, which was deep-fried tofu fashioned into little 'pocket' shapes and stuffed with fried rice, avocado and plain tofu. it was delicious but the only problem was it was swimming in soy sauce so was extremely salty. i had to wash it down with a glass of locally-produced organic wine :D my main course was another oriental-inspired meal called flash in the pan which was a gorgeous colourful stir-fry full of veggies and cashew nuts. for dessert i couldn't resist the chocolate torte :D really nice food, good service and not as expensive as i expected - about £30 each for three courses plus drinks.

on my birthday i ate at Terre a Terre. the food there is certainly strange but it makes it a memorable eating experience ;) the menu can be a little incomprehensible though! to start i had deep fried hoi sin sesame toasted tofu, absolutely delicious. my main course was called Wotzyuzu Ithai Gnocchi :confused: (i had to look that name up on the website, i couldn't remember it!) it was nice but very, erm, different! it was basically potato gnocchi with deep-fried bok choi and some crunchy stuff i'm not sure what it was. :o it came with a 'green tea and basil shooter' which you're supposed to drink, i didn't really like it, but you've got to try these things! my dessert was jasmine nashi - poached pear with sweet sushi (basically rice pudding with fruit). it was an odd combination of flavours but not bad. i still think they could've done with a better range of vegan options though. i finished the meal with a glass of locally-produced sparkling wine and didn't worry about the cost of the meal as i wasn't paying ;)

one thing i would say about Terre a Terre is that if you're having a main course, don't have the tapas starter because it's basically little bits of all the main courses, so you'll just end up eating the same thing twice. unless you want to of course!

on the Friday i had lunch at the George. enchiladas and garlic bread with vegan cheese - my favourite meal :D

this week though i'm on a diet! ;)

VeganLiz
Sep 6th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Where is this Iydea place then? I have never heard of it!!! I am now seriously addicted to the choclate fudge bars from wakikimoocow - starting to have to buy one whenever I pass!!!!

Liz X

Marrers
Sep 6th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Sounds like my sort of week Gorilla - an eating marathon!

Iydea is almost opposite Waikika Liz!

RedWellies
Sep 6th, 2006, 08:27 PM
this week though i'm on a diet! ;)

Not at the w/e though!;) Anyway, you don't need to worry, you're very slim:)

gertvegan
Sep 6th, 2006, 10:41 PM
is that where the Raw Magic shop is, in Gardner Street above what used to be the Hemp Shop (which sadly closed down last week)? i didn't realise it was open as it was basically a building site last time i looked. where did you hear that gert?From Kate who runs Raw Magic, on myspace. :cool:

Gorilla
Sep 7th, 2006, 08:42 PM
do you have the web address for that gert? MySpace is quite big and not very easy to search!

Poison Ivy
Sep 7th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Kate (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=14990786) on Myspace and her website raw living (www.rawliving.co.uk) and the webby for her shop (www.rawmagic.co.uk):)

Hopefully they're the right ones, if not I'm sure Gert will correct me whence he's on next!!:o :)

Gorilla
Oct 16th, 2006, 09:48 PM
has anyone been to Gourmet Moments in North Street? it's an eco-friendly sandwich and juice bar. they sell meat but have a few vegan items, i had lunch in there the other day and ate a falafel, houmous and salad rye bread sandwich. it was quite good and a bit strange eating in a hippyish cafe right next to Burger King!

mango
Oct 18th, 2006, 08:05 PM
I'd like to let you know that the Cowley Club will now be serving food every Thursday evening, from tomorrow (19th October) at 8pm. I will be making a Tapas plate this week, including potato wedges, stuffed tomatoes and other tasty things, all for £2.50. Future menus include Indian, Indonesian and Japanese.

The Cowley Club is run co-operatively and entirely by volunteers, and the cafe is 100% vegan. The club has various purposes including providing cheap, healthy food in a safe space, promoting libertarian, ecological and feminist ideas, facilitating direct action, and giving advice. It is a members and guests club in the evening, but you are welcome to come as a guest, and it only costs £1 to join.

Gorilla
Oct 18th, 2006, 10:30 PM
thanks Mango, i have been meaning to go for a while, can't make it tomorrow but hopefully will do so in the future. :)

Melanie
Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:19 PM
Glad I found this topic as i'm probably going to be going to the uni of sussex next year and am slightly nervous about it...

Risker
Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:24 PM
Glad I found this topic as i'm probably going to be going to the uni of sussex next year and am slightly nervous about it...

I didn't study there but having stayed there a few times I found it to be a really nice place, good atmosphere, good location, good transport.

Troutina
Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:47 PM

What are you nervous about?

Brighton's a really lovely place- there are a few dodgy people but on the whole its pretty safe. And you'll love being vegan there!

Melanie
Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:30 PM
First time leaving home, i'm diabetic too, so will have to check in with all the doctors and stuff. Plus i'm just not the most confident person.
Am REALLY looking forward to it though!

Melanie
Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:50 PM
Am glad to hear it's a nice place though, have only ever been there for a few breif trips to the lanes, and to that foodshop, the veganny one, I forget the name.

Troutina
Oct 24th, 2006, 04:08 PM
First time leaving home, i'm diabetic too, so will have to check in with all the doctors and stuff. Plus i'm just not the most confident person.
Am REALLY looking forward to it though!

You'll settle in really quickly!
I just left home for the first time, and granted I'm 21, it was still scary!
But living in halls is fun, living so close to friends, and its cool.
Everyone's feeling the same though, and you're lucky to be living in Brighton, I miss it :)

Melanie
Oct 24th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Why not move back there one day maybe? Or is that not possible?
I'm popping up there tomorrow, have an urge to go in that veggy/vegan restraurant in the lanes :)
:)

Melanie
~xx

Hemlock
Oct 24th, 2006, 11:13 PM
My lovely artist son lives in Brighton, 23 years old, professional artist, vegan, friendly and sociable, not at all weird or nerdy, can't understand why he hasn't found a nice vegan girl yet???
Sorry...that was totally shameless:)

Troutina
Oct 25th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Why not move back there one day maybe? Or is that not possible?
I'm popping up there tomorrow, have an urge to go in that veggy/vegan restraurant in the lanes :)
:)

Melanie
~xx

Well I'm doing a degree at Kingston at the moment, and the plan is to move back there once I've finished it [fingers crossed!]
But my boyfriend records bands, and wants to move to somewhere in the middle of nowhere [noise, neighbours etc] and although that sounds nice, I will miss Brighton!

Melanie
Oct 26th, 2006, 02:06 AM
Move to Brighton and like, I dunno, insulate... LOTS! :D

Hemlock; Hehehe! :)

xx

Pansypuss
Oct 27th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I just spent a week with friends who took me twice to Brighton.:D It was wonderful, so veggie/vegan friendly. We had a lunch and dinner at Food for Friends and had a lunch at Red Veg. I wanted to try the vegan breakfast but we got there in time for lunch each time! Has anyone tried to make the choc torte that F for Fs makes? It was so good. I loved 'Infinity' as well, had to stop myself buying stuff. Anyone who lives in or close to Brighton and is vegan or veggie is soooooooooo lucky! I shall be back!
My friends also had bought a vegan cookery book and cooked all this yummy food especially for me - they aren't even veggie. they said they will definetly be cooking vegan stuff in future so that was good news.
We also got a lunch in Kingston, The Riverside Vegetaria, that was brilliant as well.

Melanie
Oct 27th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Sounds like you had a really good time!

Marrers
Oct 31st, 2006, 08:30 AM
I went to Tin Drum (Hove branch) on Sunday with 12 friends and I was the only vegan. Even though Sunday is their busiest day they made a real effort so I could be included.

The aubergine soup was vegan already without the creme friache added at the end. They made me a lovely casserole especially as none of the mains are vegan.

Also the Avondale wines are organic and vegan (they checked for me with the supplier)! I think these are sold at all branches as they were having a big promotion on them - it's the one they have a leaflet about where they use ducks to eat the snails and bugs instead of pesticide.

Gorilla
Nov 3rd, 2006, 07:27 PM
that's cool Marrers :)

i was dragged to Wokmania for a family birthday the other day, which has just opened near the seafront, and is apparently part of a chain but i'd never heard of it before.

we phoned in advance to make sure i'd have something to eat and they said we should check on arrival but they would have something. it's a buffet place with loads of meat :( and not much veggie food but the staff went to a lot of trouble to find something for me, they had a pumpkin curry which was really nice and the chef made me a special veggie stir-fry. it wasn't very busy though and they've only just opened so they might not have been so helpful if they were rushed off their feet. i appreciated the effort but it's not really worth me going back again IMO.