PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Brighton (1)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

horselesspaul
Jun 21st, 2007, 11:27 AM
Have you considered getting up earlier? :p
No. I would consider being a C*ty fan before this extreme life change.
Make...more....pizza.
d%)

Ruby Rose
Jun 21st, 2007, 11:27 AM
Wow! That's really exciting. Is it really sad to be excited by an extension? Infinity is a Mecca to me whenever I'm in Brighton. My friends just take the mick and wait for me in the pub, while I go round stroking the packets. I can't help myself. It's a harmless habit. Many years ago I used to waitress in the Kensington Gardens Cafe just opposite - soon as my shift finished, used to race round for end-of-day special offers (proably not too many of those now it's so big and has its own caff), then round the corner to Zerbs - which is now Red Veg, I think. Ah, happy days - and all so food orientated!

Wintermute
Jun 28th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Just as long as they extend to TWO trays of vegan pizza per day. I never seem to get any.
Gutted.

Ooh pizza - is that at the cafe or shop?

Marrers
Jun 28th, 2007, 02:45 AM
The health food shop, in the back, near the bread.

Marrers
Jun 28th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Interesting to see a couple of Brighton businesses will have stalls at the Viva Incredibly Veggie Show - The George and Festival Wines!

Gorilla
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:04 PM
i tried some of the free samples from Festival wines, they were good. i didn't actually buy any though as i'm mostly avoiding alcohol for the time being.

i've heard about a vegetarian Indian restaurant in Church Road, Hove, called Waves. from the outside it looks like a coffee shop but it is in fact a dosa house serving southern Indian food as well. the review i read didn't mention how much of the menu is vegan, but i'd imagine they would have a reasonable selection of vegan options. if i get a chance i'll try it out... has anyone else been there? (their phone number is 01273 735835 if anyone wants to call with regard to their vegan suitability).

ETA: there is another Indian restaurant i meant to mention, although i think it's omni. there are two branches called Indian Summer, one in East Street, Brighton (01273 711001), and the other in Victoria Terrace, Kingsway, Hove (01273 773090). apparently they both have a very strong vegetarian and vegan menu. The Hove restaurant is more informal and rustic, while the Brighton branch is more glamorous. sounds interesting if you don't mind an omni place.

Marrers
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Any reviews of L'il Jack Corner and City Bakery yet? Anyone been or had a good look at what is available?

ETA One of my friends has eaten at the Brighton branch of Indian Summer and enjoyed it.

Gorilla
Jul 10th, 2007, 07:04 PM
i haven't tried either of those yet, Marrers. i keep forgetting about them.

i was in Red Veg for lunch yesterday, and they've started selling chilled food to take away. they're doing things like pesto, pasta with veg bolognese, veg chilli con carne, curried lentils and houmous. i think most of it's vegan, although it seems a little pricey (£3.85 for the pesto, £2.65 for the houmous, etc.).

i went to the Brighton branch of Indian Summer for dinner. the decor's quite smart (and very purple, which i like!) and the vegan options are listed on the menu (which unfortunately appeared to be leather-bound). it is an omni place, and the vegetarian section was marked 'Pure vegetarian' which i always thought meant vegan, but two of the dishes contained cheese. :confused: there is only one choice of vegan main course too, although there are about four vegan starters. the food was very good though, i had a lovely masala dosa to start, and the main was called veg nilgiri which was delicious if rather spicy for my taste. i'd never heard of the two beers they had - Gurkha and Tusker - so i had no idea if they were vegan and neither did the waiter. it's not cheap as the two courses i had came to £19.95. they had a couple of desserts that sounded like they might be vegan but i didn't want one so i didn't ask if they'd be suitable.

all in all it was a pleasant evening and made a change from the usual restaurants i visit, although it is omni and fairly expensive.

edited to add their website: http://www.indian-summer.org.uk/is_home_new.html

Hemlock
Jul 10th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Fast Food Nation is on at the Dukes in Brighton July 14th.

Marrers
Jul 24th, 2007, 08:41 PM
In the interests of research I've been to Lil Jack Corner and City Bakery!

Lil Jack Corner are at 36 Glouscester Road (where the Food Clinic raw food cafe used to be).
On the menu the three specials were vegan. I think there was a stir fry, vegetables with back bean sauce and deep fried tofu with gago gado sauce and rice which is what I had. It was £3 but I found it a little bit dull and the sauce too runny. I'll give it another try though and have something else.
They do vegan chinese steamed buns and an all day vegan breakfast as well as a few veggie options. Sadly none of the cakes are vegan though.

City Bakery have a vegan pastie listed on the menu board but they didn't have any. I tried the vegan vegetable samosa - it was okay, nothing special.

Gorilla
Jul 25th, 2007, 04:33 PM
thanks Marrers, that's good to know. :)

Marrers
Jul 25th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Lil Jack Corner might do a Sunday lunch as well (I heard one of the other customers mention it).

Can't recall if I mentioned before that Iydea now have their vegan food labelled again. They usually have a nice vegan pie whenever I've been in recently. They are now licensed to serve alcohol (all vegan) too.

littlemiss
Jul 28th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Hello! I'm new here. I love this forum, can't believe I never knew it existed. Anyway, I'm coming to Brighton for a long wkend in December. I'v already shortlisted places to eat at lunch and Dinner (which i'l be booking up as its a terrible time of year to eat out!) but i'd love to have a breakfast out too. We're staying in a travelodge so will be eating cereal or bread most of the time...yawn.
Can you reccomend a nice place for a vegan breakfast please? Am used to searching the web to find places to eat but havn't come up with anything so far...:(
Thanx!!

Gorilla
Jul 28th, 2007, 08:22 PM
i would recommend either the Dumb Waiter in Sydney Street or the Kensington Cafe in Kensington Gardens. they're both omni places but they each do good vegan breakfasts.

it's also possible to get breakfasts at Infinity Cafe in Gardner Street and The George pub has recently started doing vegan breakfasts, but i haven't tried either of them.

Marrers
Jul 29th, 2007, 12:49 PM
I think Food For Friends were also doing breakfast - though no idea if they still are (or if so whether they still will be in December). Might be worth contacting them to find out.

I've also been to Dumb Waiter and the cooked breakfast is good but I found the service slow and disinterested.

horselesspaul
Jul 29th, 2007, 01:53 PM
I've also been to Dumb Waiter and the cooked breakfast is good but I found the service slow and disinterested.
I gather they get paid in congealed baked beans.

littlemiss
Jul 29th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Thanx for that, I'l keep them on file and enquire nearer the time. People don't do christmas breakfast do they?! :)
Thanx for your help!!

veganlinda
Jul 31st, 2007, 12:07 AM
Just as long as they extend to TWO trays of vegan pizza per day. I never seem to get any.
Gutted.

I know I kind am off thread, but I had vegan pizza today from Currant Affairs in Leicester _ vegan pizza is soo much nicer than I remember veggie pizza being! Am not sure if it is the novelty factor still but I always come away v happy after buying a slice :D Will have to check out Brighton vegan pizza sometime - if I can get any!!

Marrers
Jul 31st, 2007, 12:23 AM
Every time I've been in Infinity since horselesspaul posted this I've noticed there has been vegan pizza left towards the end of the day!

(They do normal vegan pizza and gluten-free vegan pizza.)

horselesspaul
Jul 31st, 2007, 02:32 AM
See! They ARE reading The Vegan Forum.

eco
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:19 AM
I was in Infinity Foods last week at about 3ish and they had loads of vegan pizza left. I didn't get any because I presumed it had cheezly or something similar on it and I can't stand the stuff. I'm sure they used to do vegan pizza with just tomato sauce and veg, do they still do it?

Marrers
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:13 AM
horselesspaul - I've only started properly making a point to notice since you mentioned it (I don't want you to go without!) but tbh I reckon this was always the case!!

ecoamimal - the pizzas have never had any fake cheese on it whenever I've bought it (nor when I've seen it I'm fairly sure).

veganlinda
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:27 AM
Cool! If I find myself in Brighton Infinity will be my first stopping place - next stop being Vegeterian Shoes :)

Marrers
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:52 AM
(The pizza is sold in the back of the health food shop veganlinda, not the cafe.)

horselesspaul
Jul 31st, 2007, 12:15 PM
horselesspaul - I've only started properly making a point to notice since you mentioned it (I don't want you to go without!) but tbh I reckon this was always the case!!

I have it on good authority that they often do two trays a day now as it goes..more vegans they say.
Perhaps previously they had a lookout to alert them to clear all the remaining pizza away briefly whenever I turned up..