PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Brighton (1)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Gorilla
Sep 28th, 2005, 10:22 PM
you guys beat me to it, there's not much more i can add, except if you fancy a 100% veggie Indian buffet check out Bombay Aloo in Ship Street. not everything's vegan, but the waiters can always tell you what's ok. it's all you can eat for £4.95 (i think it's £3.95 if you go for lunch).

btw in case you didn't know, if you're going to Vegetarian Shoes with something particular in mind, phone them first to check if it's in stock.

aubergine
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the tip Gorilla. I'm going mainly for sizing. If they haven't go t what I want in stock, then I'm happy to mail order it.

The Indian sounds very good for dinner...

Troutina
Oct 13th, 2005, 12:49 PM
I went to Dumb Waiter on Tuesday (in Brighton) and had a lovely vegan sausage baguette with salad in for £2.60. They use Linda McCartney sausages, and I had vegan butter in it. They also offer vegan mayo. Very nice cafe, reasonably cheap too. They offer vegan breakfast which is sausage, mushrooms, beans and bubble and squeak. If you want direction just ask! They offer meat, vegetarian and vegi.

Marrers
Oct 14th, 2005, 02:06 PM
I just found a place that sells one of the US brand ice creams (soy delicious I think). Expensive but oh-my-god! I ate it on a bench, straight out of the tub with a plastic spoon! :p Bliss!

Gorilla
Oct 16th, 2005, 11:07 PM
where was that Marrers? i've never seen that anywhere.

Marrers
Oct 17th, 2005, 01:19 AM
It's a large organic supermarket type place almost opposite The Mad Hatter cafe. (Could it be on a Church Street? I was walking from Churchill Square towards Hove so hopefully you know where I mean.) It sells meat as well as a large range of veggie and vegan stuff, including fresh fruit & veg and convenience foods - I was very impressed.

They only had 3 or 4 flavours and it was over £4 but I justified it as being not that much more that the Starbucks latte I would have had if they hadn't run out of soya milk! (Which, by the way, is a major blood boiler for me - I mean it is long life after all, no need to ever run out of it. I bet they never let themselves run out of cows milk.)

Gorilla
Oct 17th, 2005, 09:46 PM
aha, you mean Taj in Western Road :) i've been in there a couple of times but can't stand the huge slabs of meat hanging up at the back of the shop :(

Marrers
Oct 18th, 2005, 01:10 AM
Well I didn't even see those, was too busy with eyes on stalks looking for vegan goodies!
The freezer with the ice cream is on the right of the deli counter (facing towards it) and quite near the till so you could dive in and out really quick! :cool:

Troutina
Oct 30th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Infinity Foods cafe (just round the corner from Infinity Foods the healthfood shop) do Vegan Chocolate Chilli Cake!!
Wowza!
And I'm looking forward to trying their Vegan BLT Breakfast food.

Skajen
Nov 28th, 2005, 08:22 PM
sounds amazing gert :)

the last time i ate out i went to Trogs in Brighton www.trogsrestaurant.com (http://www.trogsrestaurant.com/)

it's quite a small restaurant, very warm and atmospheric. the staff are really friendly and helpful.

they're totally veggie and about 50% of the menu was vegan or could be vegan on request. i had some sort of aubergine thing with pesto (can't remember what it was called but it was lovely), followed by brazil nut jambalaya - topped with chillis stuffed with vegan cream cheese :) for dessert, vegan fruit brulee and vegan Irish coffee - yes it is possible!

all this was washed down with copious amounts of organic vegan beer and cider. :cool:

highly recommended if you're ever in Brighton :D

sadly troggs isn't there anymore. stayed at granville hotel with bf this weekend and troggs was below it, but lady said it'd been closed for 2 years due to lack of custom, was sad. but hey...went to terre a terre instead....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :)

Skajen
Nov 28th, 2005, 08:25 PM
p.s. i think the menu may have changed at terre a terre, there are now 3-4 vegan main choices, not just 1 and 2-3 vegan puddings! xxx

Gorilla
Dec 6th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Gorilla - is there ever anything like this in Brighton?
strangely there is nothing like this in Brighton (yet), even though Brighton is extremely veggie-friendly, and pretty much every other large town/city in the UK seems to have some sort of vegan/cruelty-free thing these days! :confused:

Tarz nice to hear from you, hope to meet you sometime.

Tarz
Dec 6th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Yep, Brighton would be an ideal place for a vegan festival. Very alternative like Bristol, but odd that there is no such event like this in Brighton.

I hope to meet you too sometime soon Gorilla. :)

Mr Flibble
Dec 6th, 2005, 11:10 AM
strangely there is nothing like this in Brighton (yet)

Good idea - make it so :)

aubergine
Dec 6th, 2005, 11:34 AM
It'd be another reason to go to Brighton for the day. Like I need any more reasons... :)

Gorilla
Dec 6th, 2005, 12:55 PM
i think the main reason why there hasn't been a vegan fayre in Brighton yet is the cost of hiring a decent-sized venue. the costs are similar to those in London but the potential for visitors is much smaller, so i guess the organisations that run other fayres don't think it's feasible.

aubergine
Dec 7th, 2005, 11:04 AM
It's a shame. Even a small one would be worth the trip.

Gorilla
Dec 7th, 2005, 01:24 PM
the Viva! Veggie Roadshow in Brighton was small, and i wouldn't have said that was worth travelling for unless you really wanted a whole day out in Brighton as well. they could only afford a tiny little nightclub in which to hold it and there were hardly any stalls there, but it was still packed out because of the free food :p

Hemlock
Dec 7th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Gorilla, will you let me know if you hear of any other vegan shows in Brighton as I'm only down the road in sunny Seaford.
I am very pleased today I have found a Beauty without Cruelty outlet in Seaford itself....whoop, whoop!!!!
I can now do all my vegan shopping in my on home town. Except for shoes and clothes but brighton isn't far away!:)

Gorilla
Dec 7th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Seaford eh, well i don't know about much happening in Brighton but there's a vegan Christmas party in Lewes next Wednesday (14th Dec) which i'll probably go to, the details are on www.veganvillage.co.uk/notices.htm about a third of the way down. maybe see you there? :)

cedarblue
Dec 7th, 2005, 03:56 PM
the Viva! Veggie Roadshow in Brighton was small, and i wouldn't have said that was worth travelling for unless you really wanted a whole day out in Brighton as well. they could only afford a tiny little nightclub in which to hold it and there were hardly any stalls there, but it was still packed out because of the free food :p

i would have thought brighton could have carried off a really good vegan fest considering the vegan/veggie sympathy down that way?

Gorilla
Dec 7th, 2005, 04:01 PM
yes, there are a huge number of veggies here but it needs a large enough local group with enough money to organise it, and as far as i know there aren't any. Viva! used to be based in Brighton but had to relocate due to the high rents, Animal Aid aren't far away in Tonbridge but obviously think London is more worthwhile, and i don't know of any local veggie companies with enough money to set up an event like Veggies or Yaoh have done in their respective cities.

gertvegan
Dec 7th, 2005, 05:47 PM
We are working with Tim from Yaoh (http://www.yaoh.co.uk) (who does the Bristol vegan festival (http://www.veganbristol.makessense.co.uk/events/30.html)) to bring one to Brighton next year, it may be a little late to get it sorted for next year now, but hopefully in the next 2 years there should be a regular show here.

aubergine
Dec 8th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Good stuff.

Hemlock
Dec 8th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Gorilla, have left you a PM and 2 rather unflattering photos of me 2.5 stone heavier than I am now:D