PDA

View Full Version : "Non-dairy creamer"

Pages : [1] 2 3

Monkey Wild
Aug 14th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Hello all,

I am not sure if this is the case everywhere, but from what I've seen, non-dairy creamer is NOT vegan! It always seems to contain a "milk derivative" or some other animal product! :mad: Before I was aware of this (and before I totally eliminated dairy from my diet), I tried it and thought it was a great substitute for "half-and-half".

I have tried the Silk soy creamer, but unfortunately I usually find soy milk to be "chalky" and not very tasty (unless it is flavored with something -- like chocolate -- but I don't think the flavored ones are creamy enough for coffee/tea!).

I found a vegan creamer on www.veganessentials.com (http://www.veganessentials.com/) (it's called "Vegan Instant Creamer"), but I haven't ordered it yet...before doing so, I would love to hear from some people on the forum who have experience with this or any other vegan creamers out there.

Artichoke47
Aug 15th, 2005, 03:30 AM
Never trust labeling. "Non-dairy" unfortunately, for the less educated, omnivorous crowd, does not mean "vegan," nor anything at all, as you have discovered.

Monkey Wild
Aug 15th, 2005, 03:41 AM
I know, Artichoke, isn't it crazy? Who do you suppose they make this stuff for, anyway? :confused: People with allergies, or something? I don't know much about milk allergies, but if one is allergic to milk, wouldn't they be allergic to things in close relation to milk/dairy?

Roxy
Aug 15th, 2005, 04:01 AM
In my coffee each morning, I use the Silk brand of non-dairy creamer. I really like it. Each to their own I guess.

The creamer you are talking about from Vegan Essentials - is it the powdered stuff in the small sachets? I bought some, because I thought it would be useful when travelling, and I took a whole lot with me when I went to Australia earlier this year.

I didn't really like it. It kind of stays in "powdered" form in your coffee, no matter how much stirring you seem to do. Plus I like my coffee kind of milky, so I had to use about 3 sachets per cup. I guess it's OK for travelling, if there are no other vegan options available (and if you don't like your coffee black), but otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.

Monkey Wild
Aug 15th, 2005, 04:21 AM
The creamer you are talking about from Vegan Essentials - is it the powdered stuff in the small sachets?
Yup, that's the one.

I didn't really like it. It kind of stays in "powdered" form in your coffee, no matter how much stirring you seem to do. Plus I like my coffee kind of milky, so I had to use about 3 sachets per cup. I guess it's OK for travelling, if there are no other vegan options available (and if you don't like your coffee black), but otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.
That's too bad! I suppose I could still order some and try it, but from what you said, I'm not so inclined to.

Grr...what will I do?! :(

Roxy
Aug 15th, 2005, 04:23 AM
You should order it and try it. After all, I like the Silk creamer and you don't - so maybe we just have different tastes.

From memory - it's not all that expensive - so it's probably worth giving it a go.

Monkey Wild
Aug 15th, 2005, 04:28 AM
Good point...but what you said about it staying sort of powdery even after stirring it really isn't appetizing.... What was it like exactly -- were there little bits of powder floating around, or what?

And yes, you're right about the cost -- it is indeed inexpensive.

Roxy
Aug 15th, 2005, 04:41 AM
Yes - there were little bits of powder floating around in it.

If you like, I could send you a few samples of the ones that I have - so you can try before you buy :)

Let me know and we can sort the rest out via Private Message.

Monkey Wild
Aug 15th, 2005, 04:46 AM
Thanks Roxy, but I think I'll steer clear of it (or at least that particular brand)...bits of powder floating around in my coffee is just not what I want!!

Roxy
Aug 15th, 2005, 04:48 AM
OK no problem :) The offer remains open if you change your mind.

Maybe someone else has a different suggestion. :confused:

Gorilla
Aug 15th, 2005, 12:55 PM
i use Taam-Tov non-dairy creamer from www.veganstore.co.uk it's a powdered coffee creamer and it dissolves pretty well with just a slight film on the top occasionally. i like the taste and the texture is smooth enough. i don't know if it's the same stuff as the sachets you're talking about, but i'd recommend it. the only trouble is, it comes in a really big tub, so if you don't like it you're stuck with it :D

sophia
Aug 15th, 2005, 02:37 PM
hey gorilla,

i've got the same creamer from veganstore. I was just wondering if you knew how long it lasted once opened? i've had mine a couple of months and it still smells okay! :)

Monkey Wild
Aug 15th, 2005, 03:26 PM
i use Taam-Tov non-dairy creamer from www.veganstore.co.uk (http://www.veganstore.co.uk/) it's a powdered coffee creamer and it dissolves pretty well with just a slight film on the top occasionally. i like the taste and the texture is smooth enough. i don't know if it's the same stuff as the sachets you're talking about, but i'd recommend it. the only trouble is, it comes in a really big tub, so if you don't like it you're stuck with it :D

Hi Gorilla,
The creamer on veganessentials.com is the same brand, Taam-Tov. On there, it is available in the GIANT tub (haha) and also the sachets.

lolamako
Aug 15th, 2005, 03:48 PM
How long have you been without dairy?

Ive found my tastes have changed and things I once thought wernt such good imitations of the "real" thing are great.

give it some time, maybe youll like the silk. my husband and mom now think its the best.

Artichoke47
Aug 15th, 2005, 03:49 PM
I've been weaned and on solid foods for a while. If I want some animal milk taste, I'll see what my mom (another human) can come up with. :D

Monkey Wild
Aug 15th, 2005, 04:17 PM
How long have you been without dairy?

Ive found my tastes have changed and things I once thought wernt such good imitations of the "real" thing are great.

give it some time, maybe youll like the silk. my husband and mom now think its the best.

I've only been "off dairy" for a little over a month! I've been a vegetarian for 8 years, but the vegan thing is new to me. I used to eat a ton of dairy products, but these days, the mere thought of it is revolting! :eek: I cannot believe I used to think it was okay to consume such things.

I really wish I could find a good vegan coffee creamer, because black coffee just doesn't appeal to me.

Oh, and Artichoke -- my boyfriend also likes to bring up the point to people that humans are the only species who continue to drink milk after being weaned. It really is something, isn't it.

Pob
Aug 15th, 2005, 04:24 PM
I've only been "off dairy" for a little over a month! I've been a vegetarian for 8 years, but the vegan thing is new to me. I used to eat a ton of dairy products, but these days, the mere thought of it is revolting! :eek: I cannot believe I used to think it was okay to consume such things.

I really wish I could find a good vegan coffee creamer, because black coffee just doesn't appeal to me.

Oh, and Artichoke -- my boyfriend also likes to bring up the point to people that humans are the only species who continue to drink milk after being weaned. It really is something, isn't it.

I've only been off all dairy for about that, I switched to soy milk a bit before I cut all cheese out. I feel the same about dairy as you, now, though.

I've heard that rice milk works well in coffee. Not tried it myself.

Monkey Wild
Aug 15th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Perhaps I'll look into the rice milk.

Believe it or not, I've even tried putting coconut milk in my coffee! I love coconut milk, but it just didn't seem to do what cream does for coffee. :(

urbandryad
Aug 15th, 2005, 06:08 PM
A little off topic, since I don't use creamers anyway, but you mentioned a couple of vegan stores in this thread. Do these vegan stores take paypal or money order payments? I'd love to shop for certain vegan foods, in bulk online, but I've been warned by my social worker not to sell anything for profit with paypal, or to make any withdrawls from paypal cause it shows up on my bank statements and the government wouldn't like that. So if I put money up on paypal, I have to KNOW I'm going to buy something with it well in advance. I'd like some stores to read from, figure out what is plausible, and maybe I can buy stuff with money order. I can't get a credit card. I'm lucky I have a vegetarian shop near me, not as much vegan as vegetarian, but I get my tofu there, MORI-NU in the cardboard long shelf life packaging! (its the ONLY place I can get mori-nu in my entire town. And its ONLY silken extra-firm tofu, no other type. Sad eh?)

Lee

meatless
Aug 16th, 2005, 02:38 AM
I've been weaned and on solid foods for a while. If I want some animal milk taste, I'll see what my mom (another human) can come up with. :D

:eek: :p

Wildflower
Aug 16th, 2005, 02:57 AM
I really like Silk Soycreamer, and all my omni friends and my high blood pressue/cholesterol obese father buys it too. I don't think it is watery or chalky at all, infact, it really doesn't taste a bit like soymilk. they have a vanilla and hazelnut flavor too. maybe you need to use more? or shake it so it's really foamy?

Soymilk is a bit watery in coffee, IMO. But sometimes I use it because it has less fat and extra vitamins.

Have you tried almond milk?

Maybe black coffee with a bit of spice - cinammin, nutmeg, cocoa, a flavor shot? Sugar? you can buy flavor shots at a lot of grocery and specialty stores just like the ones used in coffee houses.

You could also do half hot cocoa, half coffee.

Wildflower
Aug 16th, 2005, 03:07 AM
Urbandryad,

I am not sure what arrangements for pay you can make with vegan essentials. Here is the contact info. Somtimes you can pay online with a check.

1-866-88-VEGAN

questions@veganessentials.com

Here is another online store

http://store.foodfightgrocery.com/info.html

They do not take checks/money orders.

BUT, both stores sell gift certificates. Maybe you can get a friend to order a gift certificate and you can pay them back for it with cash and use the gift certificate to order online? Sounds like a plan to me!

Also, I am not sure of your situation, but can you get a Visa Buxx card? They are like a credit card, but you charge them up with money. You can buy them online, at banks and some malls. http://www.visabuxx.com/ It is kinda marketed towards teens, but anyone can use them after all. It is a good way to control spending!

kriz
Aug 16th, 2005, 05:17 AM
Perhaps I'll look into the rice milk.

Believe it or not, I've even tried putting coconut milk in my coffee! I love coconut milk, but it just didn't seem to do what cream does for coffee. :(

I think rice milk taste kind of like non-fat milk, makes your coffe grey and tasteless. I used Coffee Mate before going vegan, and I thought Silk was horrible at first. I even thought about quitting coffee alltogether because I could not find any good creamer. But you know what, I got used to Silk and it's in my coffe everyday now...Give it some time.
:)

Gorilla
Aug 16th, 2005, 01:06 PM
experimentation is the key in my experience. some people like rice milk in coffee, i personally don't. i don't mind soya milk in coffee, but i prefer the powdered creamer. you just need to keep trying different things and you'll probably find something to your taste.

Sophia, my tubs of coffee creamer last me a few months, and i don't think you need to worry about it going off. :)

Monkey Wild
Aug 16th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Thanks for your replies, everyone!! :)

I bought some rice milk yesterday, tried it and did not care for it. I also bought the Silk creamer again (vanilla this time) because I thought I ought to give it another try. It was okay at first, but it still seemed chalky to me. I tried to keep drinking the coffee with it in, but it really just didn't get any tastier for me.

Wildflower, I like your suggestions about "spicing up" black coffee. I think I should try that. I am beginning to feel like I just want to stay away from milk substitutes altogether, because it's getting frustrating and I don't really miss it besides in coffee. And, I can live without coffee if I have to -- I've been doing it for over a month. I just happen to miss it a bit!