PDA

View Full Version : lettuce

Pages : [1] 2

foxytina_69
Aug 19th, 2005, 05:45 AM
i love salads. i also find theyre cheap to make. id like to make sure im getting the most bang for my buck, so out of all lettuces, which one would you say is the most nutritious?

i like romaine because its high in vitamin a and c. what other ones are good?

mophoto
Aug 19th, 2005, 05:58 AM
i love romaine-

iceburg sucks.:(

Yoggy
Aug 19th, 2005, 05:59 AM
I love butter lettuce and greenleaf lettuce. I used to always eat iceberg lettuce, but now I find it pretty watery and tasteless. The greener the better. Actually I bought my first greenleaf lettuce yesterday and I really like it. From now on it's either that or butter lettuce (the butter lettuce lasts longer because you can buy it with the roots still attached, and you can soak the roots to make it last as long as you like)

foxytina_69
Aug 19th, 2005, 06:04 AM
butter lettuce is actually one of my absolute favorites. i also like red leaf lettuce.

eve
Aug 19th, 2005, 09:31 AM
I don't buy lettuce these days; the last few times of eating lettuce, I had the feeling that there was nothing to it! I used to prefer cos.

DianeVegan
Aug 19th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Any of the mixed "spring" or "baby" salads because of the variety - I figure at least one of them has to be good for me! However, for great vitamin C I also pick wood sorrel from the land behind my house (you probably have it growing all over your yard and think it is a weed). It adds a little lemony taste to salad.

screamingcarrot
Aug 19th, 2005, 09:57 AM
ive started eating baby spinnach or watercress either instead of or mixed in with lettuce. baby spinnach packed with iron, esp if you put lemon dressing on it. (vit c helps you absorb the iron)
watercress has heaps fo vit a and c (cancer flighting)
potassium and also a natural antibiotic, and also iodine for thyroid function.
its a little bitter but you do get used to it and you can mix it with other greens or add dressing. :D

adam antichrist
Aug 19th, 2005, 09:58 AM
As a former cook/chef, I'd have to say mignonette is the tastiest followed by cos. As far as nutrition goes, I know the bitter varieties are really good for you and help liver detoxification.

cedarblue
Aug 19th, 2005, 10:32 AM
dont forget, if anyone buys the bags of pre-packed leaves to still wash before eating.

some of the chemicals used to create the 'protective atmosphere' are not nice and should be washed off even though it says 'washed and ready to eat'.

DianeVegan
Aug 20th, 2005, 02:47 AM
Good point Cedarblue (nice avatar),

Also rinse the lettuce to remove bacterial contamination. I spent 8 hours at an outdoor concert with a vomiting/ voiding friend who got E. coli from lettuce (and these were heads of lettuce which were later recalled). Not a pretty site.

adam antichrist
Aug 20th, 2005, 03:20 AM
Good point Cedarblue (nice avatar),

Also rinse the lettuce to remove bacterial contamination. I spent 8 hours at an outdoor concert with a vomiting/ voiding friend who got E. coli from lettuce (and these were heads of lettuce which were later recalled). Not a pretty site.

Hmm I've just been reading about E.Coli and how some species can easily kill you. It seems to be an animal borne pathogen and not normally found with vegetables, however it is transferred through feces so I would assume it was in lettuce either from the handlers/farmers who hadn't washed their hands properly or from the fertilisers used in growing it (most likely if a recall was involved).

Either way, washing it can only help not harm!

ChocolatBlanc
Aug 20th, 2005, 03:30 AM
I have gotten some stuff at my local Whole Foods Market called Mache (with a circumflex over the a). It come in a plastic box and is in clusters of small leaves, sortof. It tastes quite good.

Oh, and cedarblue, I like your avatar too. But if you don't get rid of it I'm goint to end up staring at it for hours!

Roxy
Aug 20th, 2005, 04:44 AM
I don't know too much about the nutritional content, but I really like Arugula leaves. My least favourite is the Frisée. It's kind of spikey and gets caught in my throat.

foxytina_69
Aug 20th, 2005, 05:11 AM
speaking of johnny depp, my boyfriend looks very similar to him!

my3labs
Aug 20th, 2005, 05:17 AM
speaking of johnny depp, my boyfriend looks very similar to him!
Lucky you Foxy!

I've been eating iceburg for years but I think I'll switch to spinach.

eve
Aug 20th, 2005, 10:07 AM
as for Ecoli - it's the bullsh... that they put on the earth, being organic etc. The lettuces are put into those sort of netting bags, and of course the manure gets into them. So you really must wash very carefully. When I was in Thailand, people at that time washed their greens with bleach! Maybe that's what first turned me off lettuce! The smell returns just thinking of it.

Kiva Dancer
Aug 21st, 2005, 08:39 PM
I like any lettuce except iceburg. Iceburg is icky. :eek:

catmogg
Aug 21st, 2005, 11:47 PM
I like oak leaf, its really, well, nice, actually.

catmogg
Aug 21st, 2005, 11:49 PM
Oh and i always go for a bit of wild roquet when i can afford it, although it usually comes in the aforementioned evil chlorine filled bags, so i scrub it a bit first. Its got such a kick. Phew.

Seaside
Aug 22nd, 2005, 12:15 AM
as for Ecoli - it's the bullsh... that they put on the earth, being organic etc. The lettuces are put into those sort of netting bags, and of course the manure gets into them. So you really must wash very carefully. When I was in Thailand, people at that time washed their greens with bleach! Maybe that's what first turned me off lettuce! The smell returns just thinking of it.
Lots of Asian countries use night soil, rather than animal manure.
Also, manure must be aged first. Fresh manure will rob soil of more nutrients than it will yield, due to decomposition reactions. I think that most plant based E. coli outbreaks are due to poor handling by humans.

Roxy
Aug 22nd, 2005, 05:38 AM
I like oak leaf, its really, well, nice, actually.

I have never heard of this one.

foxytina_69
Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:07 PM
i love the inner leaves of romaine lettuce so much i want to eat them by themselves LOL. i think theyre so gorgeous. (is it wierd to think fresh veggies/fruit are gorgeous LOL)

aubergine
Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:27 PM
Sainsbury's continental salad is good in sandwiches and burgers.

Other than that I'm more of a cabbage man. Mmmm, savoy with mint sauce.

RossClement
Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:52 PM
Sainsbury's continental salad is good in sandwiches and burgers.

I think Waitrose does the packaged salad better than the other supermarkets. The red leaf salad (I think that's the name) with rocket is great.

Cheers,

Ross-c

miss_laura
Aug 22nd, 2005, 04:10 PM
Ooonly the veganforum could have an entire thread devoted to lettuce :p

Actually I have real trouble eating lettuce, at least on its own. I used to go out with this fucker in the RAF whose dad grew lettuces, and we were making a salad one day and he pulled up this lettuce out of the garden, all covered in all manner of earwigs and snails and spiders and creepy crawlies, all in between the leaves and everything. Having said I didn't fancy it, he proceeded to make me feel crap about it, so I had to eat it. Yuck.

Is lettuces the right plural? It sounds a bit wrong, as though it should be lettii or something.