PDA

View Full Version : any party food ideas for ripe bananas?

8 winks
Aug 21st, 2005, 01:22 AM
i searched the recipie section, (and got many great ideas BY banana :) ) however i need ideas that call for bananas.

i have three or four bunches that are very ripe, not yet totally brown but very ripe. i think banana bread is nice. i thouht maybe i'd make some non-veggie loaves and some vegan friendly ones and wow my relatives with how yummy the vegan ones are.

any other ideas would be helpful too. i'm leaning toward bready deserty things rather than smoothies, but any ideas are welcome. these guys need to be eaten!

8 winks
Aug 21st, 2005, 01:54 AM
umm... i deon't mean to offend anyone by making the non -veg loaves, but see my mom is also gonna help me bake. she'd look at me like a moron if i suggested we skip those. errr...... i guess i hope y'all understand. if it we just me.... gosh now i'm babling. wish me luck with finding a recepie :o

8 winks
Aug 21st, 2005, 03:30 AM
okay i tried this:

2.5 cups flour
2tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

1.5 cups mashed banana
6 tablespoons apple juice concentrate
2 tbls cooking oil
2 tsp vanilla extract

mix dry, add nanas and wet ingred. pour into loaf pan. bake 50 min at 350'

it says add nuts or rasins but i'm out
i used orange juice instead of apple juice concentrate
i doubled the recipie

thanks to who posted this on a different site, i neglected to record your name, i'll try to find it again and give you credit.

gosh it smells so great and it's almost done

:)

adam antichrist
Aug 21st, 2005, 04:08 AM
Banana ice cream.

For when nanas are overripe

Peel and string the bananas then freeze over night. Blend and eat. You will not believe how it tastes. The phrase 'the whole is greater than the sum of its parts' comes to mind. Not really party food, but eat it when they all go home :D

Yoggy
Aug 21st, 2005, 06:14 AM
what does "string the bananas" mean? i want to try this recipe!

adam antichrist
Aug 21st, 2005, 06:26 AM
what does "string the bananas" mean? i want to try this recipe!

You know how bananas have those fibrous 'strings' running from one end to the other? I always remove them when using nanas in recipes, out of habit I guess. I suppose you could leave them on for ice-cream, but they absolutely must be removed for custard and cake etc :)

Yoggy
Aug 21st, 2005, 07:32 AM
I get it now. Thanks ;)

foxytina_69
Aug 21st, 2005, 09:24 AM
banana icecream this way IS delicious. i LOVE frozen bananas like that. i just leave the skins on though and freeze them and then whenever i feel like it, i run them under hot water and peel off the skins, throw them in a food proccessor and blend. DELISH!

twinkle
Aug 21st, 2005, 10:28 AM
How about banana wine? uses up a lot of ripe bananas :)

this site (http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request177.asp) has a lot of banana wine recipes, though the recipe I've used before hasn't had faffing around with bags...but I can't remember where I got my recipe from now. I've made recipes from that site before and they've come out well.