PDA

View Full Version : Vegetable slicing/dicing tools

RossClement
Aug 21st, 2005, 10:46 AM
Hi. I'd like to ask what tools people use for slicing/dicing/chopping etc. vegetables. Currently I only use sharp knives, a simple food processor which really only chops things up finely, and a hand blender.

What prompted me to ask was that for a "laugh" I was watching some "informercials" and one was for a fancy manual set of tools for processing vegetables. While I have a natural tendancy towards cynicism towards informercials, shopping channels, and the like, I must admit that the demonstration was very impressive. So while I could never come down from my high horse sufficient to buy the product advertised :-) I'd like to know more about the tools generally available and in use.

I'm not after recommendations of individual brands, but would like recommendations by tool type. Things I could imagine doing is more dicing, fine slicing, cutting of things into chip shape, strawed cabbage, etc.

Cheers,

Ross-c

abrennan
Aug 21st, 2005, 11:25 AM
Hi. I'd like to ask what tools people use for slicing/dicing/chopping etc. vegetables. Currently I only use sharp knives, a simple food processor which really only chops things up finely, and a hand blender.

What prompted me to ask was that for a "laugh" I was watching some "informercials" etc

Hello Ross

I use knives and a bamix and one of those rocking double blades for herbs.

My mum bought me one of those slice anything anywhere anywhich way things that you see on the infomercials. It's actually pretty easy and quick and easy to clean. I hardly use it as you gotta get it out and I guess it's too easy to grab a knive and start chopping.

Anyway it's real easy you just put the right blade in it and jab your veggie in the special holder then swipe away. It can even corrugate the veggies one way then you turn the veggie and swipe it again and it starts making lattice out of carrots of potatoes. You can slice and shred and julienne and stuff

The only real issue is that it is bloody sharp so you have to keep your flanges safe from the blade. Other than that it's a cool tool. I'm jes a liddle lazy.

hope that's useful

Antony
chop chop chop:D

adam antichrist
Aug 21st, 2005, 11:38 AM
"Those rocking double blades" are called mezzaluna. I've got one of them, and a few proper knives left over from my chefs gear.

If I was rich I'd buy a masticating juicer, like the raw foodies use... which cruches the food instead of pupling it and doesn't denature the enzymes. I'd also like a moulinex or breville cyclonic whiz style food processor.

Oh... and one of those broadband refigerators and a dishwasher that puts the dishes away but doesn't steal like the help does :D

abrennan
Aug 21st, 2005, 11:59 AM
"Those rocking double blades" are called mezzaluna. I've got one of them, and a few proper knives left over from my chefs gear.

If I was rich I'd buy a masticating juicer, like the raw foodies use... which cruches the food instead of pupling it and doesn't denature the enzymes. I'd also like a moulinex or breville cyclonic whiz style food processor.

Oh... and one of those broadband refigerators and a dishwasher that puts the dishes away but doesn't steal like the help does :D

Mezzaluna to you too dude :)

sounds like a religious holiday

Yes a masticating juicer, they're much cheaper in the last few years since a few more brands came out. It's the dream tool of the wheatgrassers too.

I'd buy a chef, and a butler. Oh jeeves, a cup o'tea luvvie.

Oh another cool tool is ginger grater, you can get the asian kind whichis a little plate with spikes on it, I have one shaped like a radish. or now you can get one of those flat stainless steel graters with lil grates, they're both great for fresh ginger and garlic.

Antony

catmogg
Aug 21st, 2005, 12:19 PM
I just want a really good garlic press, mines naff as they come and i hate it when my fingers smell of garlic for 10 days after i've chopped the stuff. Mind you, is suppose there's no danger of vampires attacking me, bonus. But then i'll never be immortal either will i, so help! I need a decent garlic press. And while you're about it, what does everyone use to keep their salad dressings in??

catmogg
Aug 21st, 2005, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=abrennan

I use knives and a bamix and one of those rocking double blades for herbs.

A bamix, wassat then?? An i want a rockin' blade too. Imagine, if everyone went veagan horroe movies where the scream queen is holed up in the house clutching the knife would totally loose its effect. She'd be there trying to decide which knife to go for and they monster/ freak/man/ whatever would just come along and slice off her head with rocking knife....

abrennan
Aug 21st, 2005, 12:28 PM
I just want a really good garlic press, mines naff as they come and i hate it when my fingers smell of garlic for 10 days after i've chopped the stuff. Mind you, is suppose there's no danger of vampires attacking me, bonus. But then i'll never be immortal either will i, so help! I need a decent garlic press. And while you're about it, what does everyone use to keep their salad dressings in??

He he he

At my house we make it and use it straightaway, dressing that is.

I tried a few garlic presses but I somehow always break-em so I always go back to chop chop choppin'.

You could be immortal already. The matter that makes up your physical nature has been around since the big bang at least, that's a flippin long time indeed. You could squeeze a lotta garlic in that duration.

Antony
:p

DianeVegan
Aug 21st, 2005, 06:46 PM
I've got a lot of gizmos in my kitchen but the best tool is a chef's knife, in my opinion.

Seaside
Aug 21st, 2005, 08:18 PM
I use a mandoline. The good ones can be pricey, but are worth it. I also use a masticating juicer, and a really good, professional blender. Fortunately, there is a wholesale restaurant supply house near me, and they make these items affordable. :)

Kiva Dancer
Aug 21st, 2005, 09:03 PM
For chopping, slicing and the like, I use knives or my processor.

I have never found a garlic press I like (even the stainless steel ones) so I use the flat bottom of a jar to smash them to bits. :o Then, I can chop away with no problem. To rid that galric smell just "wash" your hands with something stainless steel and the smell will come right off.

On one of the cook shows here in US, the chef uses a small block of marble for his crushing. A sample, I think he said once. I want one.

I use old red wine vinegar bottles for my salad dressing. The shaker top that comes with them are oh, so nice and the sizes is usually perfect.

twinkle
Aug 21st, 2005, 10:43 PM

Ikea do good garlic presses for around 2.50. My garlic press was a fancy smanchy non stick job that cost about 11 quid (worth every penny, but can't remember the brand, sorry).

twinkle
Aug 21st, 2005, 10:47 PM
I have a food processor with a mixer on the side - the grater is very handy for things like coleslaw, but I tend to mislay various vital bits.

At the moment I'm using my electric whisk a lot to make floaty light cookies :D

Geoff
Aug 22nd, 2005, 12:03 AM
[QUOTE=RossClement]Hi. I'd like to ask what tools people use for slicing/dicing/chopping etc. vegetables. Currently I only use sharp knives, a simple food processor which really only chops things up finely, and a hand blender.

Why would you want to blend hands? Are you one of those Hannibal Lechter characters?
I bought a ubeaut bottler bonzer type slicer from a bloke who was demonstrating them at a shopping centre and managed to slice my finger the first time I used it. (Real men don't use those woosey holders for their veggies!)
They slice stuff much too thinly for me.

Seaside
Aug 22nd, 2005, 12:06 AM
[QUOTE=RossClement]Hi. I'd like to ask what tools people use for slicing/dicing/chopping etc. vegetables. Currently I only use sharp knives, a simple food processor which really only chops things up finely, and a hand blender.

Why would you want to blend hands? Are you one of those Hannibal Lechter characters?
I bought a ubeaut bottler bonzer type slicer from a bloke who was demonstrating them at a shopping centre and managed to slice my finger the first time I used it. (Real men don't use those woosey holders for their veggies!)
They slice stuff much too thinly for me.
Geoff a la carpaccio! Yummmmm! :eek:

DianeVegan
Aug 22nd, 2005, 04:10 AM
I have a knife that was advertised as a "Meat Cleaver" but since I only split melons/squash with it I now refer to it as the "Melon Cleaver" ;)

RossClement
Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:38 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied on this thread.

Two things sounded interesting. First, I also have not found a decent garlic press, and usually chop garlic (and ginger) on a chopping board and then mash it with a fork. Is the "ginger grater" mentioned previous similar to this:

http://www.cooking.com.edgesuite.net/images/products/shprodde/107190.jpg

Also, given the comments, some sort of mandoline sounds like a useful gadget to have. I do note the variable prices for different mandolines, and I'm not enthused enough to spend £30 on the one advertised in the infomercial. I note that it's possible to buy "7 in 1" mandolines on ebay for about £10, and am thinking about getting one of these. I personally think that I would get good use out of a mandoline now. I was given one many years ago, but after a search, couldn't find it.

For the meantime I'm thinking of this solution to the garlic and ginger problem. Basically buy a whole lot of garlic and/or ginger. Puree it in my food processsor, possibly following up with my hand blender, and then freezing it in small cubes ready for use.

Cheers,

Ross-c

DianeVegan
Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:55 AM
If I can add one note of caution about mandolines - buy one that has a food holder, for safety. This is a small tool that holds onto the vegetable you are slicing so that you don't slice your hand. It is VERY easy to hurt yourself otherwise with a mandoline (I used to be married to a chef and just about every one of them had a bad mandoline story).

RossClement
Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:25 AM
If I can add one note of caution about mandolines - buy one that has a food holder, for safety. This is a small tool that holds onto the vegetable you are slicing so that you don't slice your hand. It is VERY easy to hurt yourself otherwise with a mandoline (I used to be married to a chef and just about every one of them had a bad mandoline story).

Actually the safety food holder appears to be the only part of my previous mandoline that I still have. Also, all the ones that I have looked at have the safety food holder. So, I should be OK.

Cheers,

Ross-c

abrennan
Aug 22nd, 2005, 12:13 PM
My mum bought me one of those slice anything anywhere anywhich way things that you see on the infomercials. you just put the right blade in it and jab your veggie in the special holder then swipe away.
Antony
chop chop chop:D

Yeah that's right Mandoline and food holder, i knew it has a name

Antony
still choppin