PDA

View Full Version : Sugar

Pages : [1] 2 3

Peas'nHominy
Aug 21st, 2005, 10:44 PM
Due to the frustrations I run into when trying to only purchase/consume sugars that are vegan, I am now seriously considering dropping all refined sugars from my diet. I'm thinking that in a way, that would simplify the issue for me. But then I think it might be a difficult enough transition that I should learn more about the subject first.

So I'm wondering what y'all do. Do you avoid all refined sugar? Do you use vegan refined sugar? Do you only use the sugar from fruits, molasses and such? Is this particular topic something you are not as concerned with/careful about?

Thanks.

Korn
Aug 21st, 2005, 10:56 PM
Stephanie wanted me to add a poll to this thread. Any suggestions for other reply options, before I open it?

twinkle
Aug 21st, 2005, 11:04 PM
Well - I try to buy fair trade sugar - not strictly a vegan question, but linked to ethics.

Korn
Aug 21st, 2005, 11:09 PM
Thanks, Twinkle - added.

abrennan
Aug 22nd, 2005, 02:47 AM
How about I avoid cane/beet/palm sugar, I'm sweet enough.

I try and avoid all of it as it makes my eczema play up. If I eat too much cane sugar I get alla itchy like.

Antony
mmmmm sweeeet (homer)

FR
Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:33 AM
Due to the frustrations I run into when trying to only purchase/consume sugars that are vegan, I am now seriously considering dropping all refined sugars from my diet.

I prefer Turbinado sugar and natural sweetners. Fortunately, these are easily available where I live so i do not have to worry about dropping sugar from my diet.

Seaside
Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:43 AM
How about removing the word "only" from "I only use other, natural sweeteners" I use stevia, and agave syrup, but I also use naturally brown sugar, too. I do not avoid vegan products like Dagoba chocolate, or Laura's Wholesome Junk Food cookies, which also contain sugar.

Korn
Aug 22nd, 2005, 10:42 PM
Thanks..... no more suggestions re. reply options?

Seaside
Aug 23rd, 2005, 12:54 AM
No.

Korn
Aug 25th, 2005, 06:14 AM
OK, Seaside... this means that the poll is open!

Seaside
Aug 25th, 2005, 06:32 AM
I voted! :D

Peas'nHominy
Aug 26th, 2005, 01:22 AM
I prefer Turbinado sugar and natural sweetners. Fortunately, these are easily available where I live so i do not have to worry about dropping sugar from my diet.
I just saw Turbinado sugar at one of the WholeFoods here. That's good to learn; I didn't know anything about Turbinado. - thanks. :)

Tigerlily
Sep 16th, 2005, 06:24 PM
I still consume normal white sugar and brown sugar because vegan alternatives are either hellishly expensive or unavailable.

Oh the joy.

But, I do want to cut my sugar intake down and invest in some organic sugar and maple syrup.

FR
Sep 16th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Real sugar -aka- Turbinado sugar isn't expensive here, and it tastes much better than animal bone filtered sugar.

mophoto
Sep 16th, 2005, 07:17 PM
isn't beet sugar vegan???

1vegan
Sep 16th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Beet sugar is (ususally) vegan :)

I use certified organic beet sugar, and mine is vegan.

I know it's better not to use refined sugar though, and I'm working on it

Tokenvegan
Sep 16th, 2005, 07:43 PM
I stopped buying sugar years ago, before I became a vegan.

The only sugar I eat regularly is in vegan ice cream and liquorice. I stopped eating chocolate last year.

Mr Flibble
Sep 21st, 2005, 11:33 PM
Well - I try to buy fair trade sugar - not strictly a vegan question, but linked to ethics

am i the only other person who uses fair trade sugar when they can? (it's often a bloody rip off so i don't always)

Roxy
Sep 22nd, 2005, 01:15 AM
am i the only other person who uses fair trade sugar when they can? (it's often a bloody rip off so i don't always)

To tell the truth - I don't think I've ever seen it for sale. :confused:

xwitchymagicx
Oct 26th, 2005, 02:32 AM
I don't really no what I use. :confused: Maybe I should oh dear.

DoveInGreyClothing
Jan 10th, 2006, 12:20 AM
I use sugar refined w/out animal products... most british sugar companies are vegan.

thecatspajamas1
Jan 10th, 2006, 04:25 AM
I like to use sucanat when I bake.

Koolvedge
Mar 11th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Refined Sugar is really bad, ever read, "The Sugar Blues"? It tells alot of truth about "the substance". If it's got crystals I avoid it. For tea I use Agave nectar. Maple syrup is suppose to be mold free, and Stevia is supposed to better than refined sugar but it does have a slightly weird taste that most can't get over. In the Carribean I sueezed the sugar cane plant itself and obtained the most natural sweetest lovely juice, mm. Above all the nectars are for me, and maybe one day I can graduate to accepting my sweets totally in the form of naturally sweet fruits and live as close to nature as possible. As for refined sugar, I think it's highly detrimental, addictive and unnatural to the human body.

FR
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:09 AM
I chose:

I use the kind of sugar that is naturally brown, like Demarara and Turbinado (but not refined sugar that has been made brown)

I also use things like organic maple syrup, yum!

Tigerlily
Mar 12th, 2006, 01:32 AM
I'm curious, how do you guys afford using Maple Syrup so much? It's about $10 for a tiny little glass bottle!