PDA

View Full Version : fruits vs. vegetables

foxytina_69
Aug 22nd, 2005, 02:59 PM
before i was vegan, i liked fruit more than vegetables. now that im vegan, i like vegetables more than fruit. is this normal? has anyone else felt this way?

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:14 PM
Some of it may have to do with your body needing the minerals and nutriens in vegetables...I eat mostly vegetables and a few fruits myself. I eat the fruits that are the healthiest, but organic fruits are so expensive and rot so quickly, don't they? I feel that I get what I need by eating more vegetables than fruit.

Wishin986
Aug 22nd, 2005, 04:45 PM
I feel like I switch off. Before veganism it was fruit. Then I turned hardcore to vegetables. Now back at school since they have a ton of fruit at our dining hall I eat a lot of that. So it varies I guess!

Kiva Dancer
Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:36 PM
I'm kind of a 50/50 balance, but I only like savory fruit, not sweet fruit.

Which reminds me.... I've got an avocado that would sure love my undivided attention right about now. *wanders off to the kitchen*

Mystic
Aug 24th, 2005, 01:25 AM
My sweet tooth makes me a fruit fan, but I love vegetables too. I am probably equal. I love tomatoes, dates, bananas, avocado, all berries, eggplant, kiwis, pineapple, mango, apples, oranges, sweet potato, parsley, corn, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, kale, bok choy, dried figs, leek, papaya, chives... - yeah I am equal :D

Peas'nHominy
Aug 24th, 2005, 01:53 AM
I always liked veggies more than fruit. I do like avocados and tomatoes, but for the most part I have to remind myself to eat fruit.

My favorite food group is grains/breads/cereals. I have to remind myself to not eat too much of that! :)

veganblue
Aug 24th, 2005, 03:29 AM
I eat the fruits that are the healthiest, but organic fruits are so expensive and rot so quickly, don't they? I feel that I get what I need by eating more vegetables than fruit.

I eat more vegetables than fruit also, but I haven't found organic fruits to rot faster than non-organic. I guess it may have something to do with whether they are picked at just before ripe or not - how far they have travelled (time) and the use of anti-senescing plant hormones to prevent the fruit from maturing prematurely which would be found in many non-organic products.

I don't know if there is an argument against using ethylene absorbing packaging with some fruit in organics? I *try* to buy locally and in small regular quantities. When my vegies run out, I start cooking more of the dried things - mushrooms, lentils and the odd tin of tomatoes. After a big shop I pretty much just eat veg and lots of it! I should add more carbohydrates though for the energy.

Gorilla
Aug 24th, 2005, 12:43 PM
before i was vegan i had a really sweet tooth so would've said i preferred fruit. now though i crave savoury food all the time and often have difficulty eating fruit because it's too sweet for me. :confused: