PDA

View Full Version : Using old leather and other non-vegan products

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]

SarcasticCookie
Jun 17th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I'm going with the selling it all on Ebay and donating the money to an AR org - any suggestions which one?

I really like that idea, and I feel like that would be the best option.

I'd hate for someone to just throw it out, burying it seems respectful at least, but donating it, or selling it and giving the money to charity is an awesome idea.

I don't have any suggestions as to which one, though.

3inthecity
Sep 18th, 2008, 05:11 AM
I'm such an idiot. I really thought that ecological leather wasn't leather. You know, just as gardenburgers are not from meat. Yeah, right. I just found this web site about how their (ecological) leather comes from animals that are slaughtered for their meat and not for their skin. Argh! The thing is that when I bought those shoes, I specifically asked the assistant if they were leather, and she said that no, they are ecological leather. So I assumed... Fine. My mother can wear them if she wants, but I'm never putting them on again. And from now on, I'm only buying shoes online!

I have to say, yes leather is wrong, however, I also agree with the American Indians point of view that out of respect for the animal that was slaughtered, one should use every single part of the animal, and let none go to waste. Now with that said, I think if one were to wear leather, the ecological leather would be the best choice, since as the sales person said, they are killed for meat, and not just their skin, thus they are recycling a useful item. Don't get me wrong though, I disagree with the slaughter of any animal, however it still does take place, and since you already bought them, you could wear them out of respect for the animal, since it was sacrificed, and the last thing you want to do at this point is let them go to waste. I know if I was killed senselessly, I would want some kind of good to come out of it. Hopefully thats a different (helpful??) perspective?

fiamma
Sep 21st, 2008, 05:48 PM
Call me cynical, but "their (ecological) leather comes from animals that are slaughtered for their meat and not for their skin" sounds like a clever marketing ploy and pretty unlikely; as far as I'm aware the leather industry is an industry in itself, not just a by-product of the meat industry. When buying shoes it's probably best to check the label which tells you the various materials which go to make up the shoe, I'd trust that more than a shop assistant! I'm really sorry about your experience, it's horrible to be tricked like that.

As for respecting the animal, at least the American Indians only killed the number of animals necessary for their own survival, unlike our modern intensive farming techniques. For me we could better show respect towards the animals by not killing them in the first place.

bradders
Dec 29th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I'm using up the shampoo, sun screen etc that I bought pre vegan that don't contain animal products but were tested on animals. If they contained animal products then I woudn't use them.

d0od
Jan 29th, 2009, 05:26 AM
I couldn't afford to chuck out all my leather skate shoes and buy new pairs when i became vegan so i wore them.

Yes i felt guilty, but a part of me also felt like they were a reminder and that by wearing out those leather shoes trying to change the lives of the animals who died for it had a sweet irony to it. I still felt guilty.

On a deeper level i felt it was disrespectful to fight for their rights and then just turn around and toss away what they suffered for; What i'd already paid for them to suffer for. Giving them away/donating is a great idea.

Regarding cosmetics/etc. On my first Veganisation i threw out/refused to use ANYTHING that i had before. I was around 15 at the time and would make sure my washing up was done in just warm water if the washing up liquid was tested on animals and my mother was washing up.

When i went Vegan the second time (after slipping back to being veggie) i was a bit more "broke" being at uni and all, so a few "essentials" (pfft) i used up, the rest i gave away.

SusieDerkins
Feb 18th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Hey everybody,

I often hear people saying you canít be vegetarian/vegan and in the same time do this or that. I think this is just a very sad and cynical excuse for people not to make any changes (positive) in their lifestyle. I am sure that people who became vegan (no matter if they became one because of the health issues or the ethical reasons or combined) and by doing so made a first step in contributing to more healthier, less harming and peaceful environment will continue with further positive changes in their lifestyle. I am just not fan of the extremes; therefore I do not think it is wise to make any drastic changes in your life immediately, but rather to take one step at a time. In that way you will be able to really learn from the process and to really understand why each of the steps you take and decisions you make (whow a rhyme) is important to you (and then as a chain reaction to everybody else). To conclude, I wouldn't be to harsh to the people who are still using old leather clothes or the non-vegan products.

Sorry for any existing grammar errors but I hope you understood me :D
Cheers from Croatia!

Vegan Beast
Jul 5th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I'll use and of the things I already own until they're worn out [leather boots, wool shirts and jackets] and replace them with vegan things as they do.

I've thought about it and to me [at this point anyway and my view on it may change tomorrow] it would feel disrespectful to just get rid of those things now.

patientia
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I do the same and am sometimes called a hypocrite by meateaters.

Adena
Jul 13th, 2010, 07:39 AM
When I turned vegetarian, anything like leather etc was gotten rid of completely. Either to the charity shop, my sister/mum, or just the bin if it wasn't in good enough condition to be reused. There wasn't a lot of it, but I felt that from becoming vegetarian the way I thought had completely changed, and I couldn't see things in the same way. Like leather shoes we'ren't leather shoes to me anymore, they were just a dead animal's skin, which made me feel heart broken. Over the course of being vegetarian, and now vegan, I've made the occasional slip up with companies' products being tested on animals, or presents being bought for me like wool scarfs, but I always give the present away to either a family member who wants it or the charity shop. I like the idea of selling stuff and giving the money to an AR charity though.
I do totally understand where people come from though when they say that they hold onto the products until they are no longer useable, because to be fair, the money has already been put into the industries pockets, and the death and suffering of the animal would really be for nothing if it were just thrown away.
Although I'm not sure if people should say they're vegan if they're wearing leather, just because of the impression it gives. Or maybe explaining all the reasons we've said here as to why you're still wearing them may make people understand a bit better.

rianaelf
Jul 13th, 2010, 03:56 PM
If you can't afford to buy new shoes or boots, then keep them until you can, but if you don't absolutely have to wear a corpse then definately get rid of it, bury it as has been suggested and do a little cleansing ritual for yours elf, you shall feel amazing, like a great weight has been lifted off you and you shall never ever regret it :heart:

patientia
Jul 14th, 2010, 06:06 PM
That would have only symbolic meaning. I still have one pair of leather shoes, but if I were able to afford new ones, I would give them to a charity, not bury them.

RumpusParable
Oct 10th, 2010, 04:32 AM
I'm of the "use it up, then replace it vegan" viewpoint. If a person can afford to get rid of and replace as they'd like, then that's great; but for many that can be exceedingly difficult and expensive.

Lorena
Jan 19th, 2012, 03:15 AM
I try to keep it to a minimum, but I do believe it is ok to continue to wear and/or give away your non vegan things in the beginning. I am still ''transitioning'' you could say, as even though I haven't eaten any animal products in a while I still have a leather jacket in my closet (I hardly use it though) make up and, especially shoes. I can't even figure out if most of them are leather, as I never though about it before. Like most people say, just to stop consuming/buying non vegan clothing and shoes is more than fine, what you already have is well, already bought/given to you.