PDA

View Full Version : Using old leather and other non-vegan products

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Andie
Nov 1st, 2004, 02:45 PM
Blue, I completely sympathize. I am frugal and am NOT giving away nor throwing away my good leather shoes until they wear out. I have to buy high quality shoes or my feet and back hurt. If I can't find suitable alternatives I'll buy more leather.
As for the leather jackets, I don't blame you. Why ditch something that is still wearable when you can't afford an alternative? Maybe your son is feeling alienated because his mom and sister are doing something he's choosing not to participate in. He's probably frustrated because he wants a sense of belonging within the family but at the same time doesn't want to give up addicting food. I sympathize both with him and with your having to deal with his conflicted feelings.

tails4wagging
Nov 1st, 2004, 02:57 PM
Andie, there are plenty of shoes out there now of good quality that is not leather. Most vegan online shops advertise them. I could get the address's for you if you want?.

Andie
Nov 1st, 2004, 03:42 PM
Tails,
Please do. Can you return the shoes if they don't fit?
Thanks

tails4wagging
Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:29 AM
Andie, Yes. you can return them. one website is www.animalaid.org.uk another place is Dr Hadwyn Trust, 84a Tilehouse street, Hitchen, Herts, SG5 2DY. (This is a charity that funds non animal research).

There are others, cannot think of them at the moment, perhaps someone here will come up with some more.

kriz
Nov 2nd, 2004, 04:24 PM
I still wear leather items from my pre-vegan days and I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's useless to throw things away, and if you donate to charities you probably have to replace them with vegan items - a total waste of resources. The people who give me hard time about this are usually non-vegans just trying to "nail" me.

MandaPea
Nov 28th, 2004, 07:34 PM
i was planning on going vegan after the first, but i feel so guilty! so as soon as i can get my hands on some money i'm going to go stock up on some fruits and vegetables and go vegan.
i was wondering-when you started out vegan what did you do with all of your non-vegan products and clothes? i'm thinking of either selling some of it on e-bay and then buying cruelty-free products, or giving it away as christmas presents. what should i do? :confused:

PinkFluffyCloud
Nov 28th, 2004, 08:13 PM
I gave all my leather shoes, etc, to a charity shop, and binned a lot of stuff that I didn't want contact with any longer.
But then I am an impetuous person!! :rolleyes:

MandaPea
Nov 29th, 2004, 01:39 AM
thanks for the link gert!
i think i'm just going to try to use up the rest of my products and buy cruelty-free ones as i need them. and i'll either sell or give away my leather and silk.

John
Nov 29th, 2004, 09:45 PM
You can start by not eating or buying any animal products. That's the most important thing.

gertvegan
Feb 3rd, 2005, 07:09 PM
Stella McCartney is vegetarian, is vocal in her condemnation of the coats of the likes of Madonna or Gwyneth for example, has banned the hunt from crossing her Worcestershire estate, has it written into her contract at Gucci, the parent company of her fashion label, that she won't work with leather or fur, and worked with PETA on a film about the brutality of animal slaughter.

But she justifies the wearing of leather if its vintage.

Whats your thoughts on wearing second hand leather ? Would / could you do it ? Why / why not ?

feline01
Feb 3rd, 2005, 07:25 PM
Personally, I think wearing another animal's skin to be disgusting. I do understand some vegans wear leather that they've had from their pre-vegan days until it wears out and if that's what they want to do, no problem. When me and my husband became vegan, I gave our old leather coats, belts, wallets to homeless people at my office.

On the thought of vintage leather, I'm against that. I think it gives leather more status and makes it more appealing to the masses. The next step after only wearing vintage leather is that companies will start making vintage-appearing leather so it still comes down to the fact that the cows will suffer the consequences of human vanity.

gertvegan
Feb 3rd, 2005, 07:37 PM
Regarding the wearing of second hand leather, personally I'm just not comfortable wearing somebody elses skin. :eek:

Miel Miette
Feb 3rd, 2005, 07:55 PM
I wear 2nd hand leather shoes. I can't really afford new, non-leather ones. A good pair of 2nd hand shoes is about $8. If you have a problem with people who wear 2nd hand leather, fine, send me the money to buy new non-leather ones and I'll wear them quite happily.

feline01
Feb 3rd, 2005, 07:57 PM
Miel, are you talking $8 for a good pair of vegan secondhand shoes? I wish it was that cheap here. I'm wearing my New Balance sneakers/trainers to threads because I just can't cough up the $100 for a new pair of their non-leather ones and the idea of 2nd hand shoes, particularly sneakers skeaves me.

Miel Miette
Feb 3rd, 2005, 08:05 PM
No, 2nd hand any shoes, leather or vegan. I go to the thrift store and buy whatever is there that fits my feet and is within budget. I've never paid $100 for sneakers, I just don't have that kind of spare cash. I only buy vegan new shoes, and that is pretty rare. I really can't see an ethical problem with wearing 2nd hand leather shoes if you can't afford the new vegan variety. Veganism to me isn't about spending truck loads of cash to appear vegan to the public, it's about doing the best you can on a day to day basis.

Miel Miette
Feb 3rd, 2005, 08:11 PM
Sorry for sounding grumpy, but it annoys me that some people think it is wrong not to always buy non-leather, no matter what the circumstances, and to give away all your current leather. My sandals have just fallen apart, I need a new pair. I will go to the op shop, and the new shop, and see what they have in the $20 and under range. If there are new vegan shoes in that price I will get them. If there are 2nd hand vegan shoes at the thrift store I will get them. If there is not, I will get the leather pair from the thrift store. No, it's not perfect. But it's better than being barefoot.

feline01
Feb 3rd, 2005, 08:12 PM
Veganism to me isn't about spending truck loads of cash to appear vegan to the public, it's about doing the best you can on a day to day basis.
I agree but I do my best to buy quality, vegan products whenver possible because consumer dollars speak. Law of supply + demand etc. I certainly don't judge you harshly for buying $8 vegan or non-vegan second hand shoes and find it hard to understand why you would judge me harshly for buying $100 vegan sneakers. Like I posted earlier, I don't care what choice another vegan makes, I was just not comfortable with keeping and wearing our animal skin goods.

Miel Miette
Feb 3rd, 2005, 08:14 PM
I don't judge you harshly. I just have never done it.

feline01
Feb 3rd, 2005, 08:16 PM
I don't judge you harshly. I just have never done it.
I guess I just misunderstood the context of your postings regarding purchasing expensive vegan shoes/sneakers/products. Maybe because we're speaking different languages (me-American, you-Australian) :D .

Miel Miette
Feb 3rd, 2005, 08:20 PM
No, I think I sound blunt due to lack of sleep. Hence my appologies for sounding grumpy when I didn't mean to.

gertvegan
Feb 3rd, 2005, 08:25 PM
I really can't see an ethical problem with wearing 2nd hand leather shoes Thats why I asked the question, for people to share their views.

Sorry for sounding grumpy, but it annoys me that some people think it is wrong not to always buy non-leatherI was only stating how I would feel wearing leather, not others. ;)

Miel Miette
Feb 4th, 2005, 01:17 AM
I do read it from other people though. Not often, but I do.

feline01
Feb 4th, 2005, 02:13 AM
No, I think I sound blunt due to lack of sleep. Hence my appologies for sounding grumpy when I didn't mean to.
I completely understand grumpy :) , no problem.

Oops, I didn't mean that I was calling you grumpy merely that I can understand being sleep deprived and being grumpy as a result :o .

chakra
Feb 4th, 2005, 02:24 PM
If I were an animal that had been slaughtered to feed meateaters, I'd probably feel better knowing my hide was being used by a vegan who actually cares.

For me the real issue is always focused upon what effect my actions might have. There are environmental considerations too. Environmental conditions might have even greater consequences than a personal lifestyle decision. For example, what impact might intensive use of chemical synthetics have on endangered wildlife as opposed to domesticated cattle? What about buying a new home in a developed area?

There might be an argument for reusing a leather item from a thrift shop instead of a new synthetic product. At least in the perspective of what impact it might have overall.

I remember reading that the Buddha once said he was vegetarian but he ate from the side of the meat eaters plate.

snivelingchild
Feb 4th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Sorry for sounding grumpy, but it annoys me that some people think it is wrong not to always buy non-leather, no matter what the circumstances, and to give away all your current leather. My sandals have just fallen apart, I need a new pair. I will go to the op shop, and the new shop, and see what they have in the $20 and under range. If there are new vegan shoes in that price I will get them. If there are 2nd hand vegan shoes at the thrift store I will get them. If there is not, I will get the leather pair from the thrift store. No, it's not perfect. But it's better than being barefoot.

Wow, it stinks there isn't enough of a variety. Practically all my shoes were $3 from a salvation army store and I never had trouble finding vegan ones. Many shoes now are made with man made materials that look similar to leather. Only about less than half of the shoes there were leather, so I never had much trouble. Plus, I could always find some cloth sneakers or sandals. Are there other thrift shops in your area. I found a good many deals by looking all over and checking often, as they get new shipments every day.