PDA

View Full Version : Using old leather and other non-vegan products

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

TheFirstBus
Oct 22nd, 2005, 01:00 AM
I kind of meat if you were in a thirft store or something. Also I was looking for a kilt recently, Traditionally they are made out of wool (I assume you know that already) but they also have poly vicrose kilts, here the problem: manufactering poly vicrose has quite bad enviromental reprocutions, and in those conditions animals may die in the bad enviroment (not to mention the ills on the enviroment). So would it be so terrible if I 'recycled' a second wool kilt??

adam antichrist
Oct 22nd, 2005, 01:50 AM
I kind of meat if you were in a thirft store or something. Also I was looking for a kilt recently, Traditionally they are made out of wool (I assume you know that already) but they also have poly vicrose kilts, here the problem: manufactering poly vicrose has quite bad enviromental reprocutions, and in those conditions animals may die in the bad enviroment (not to mention the ills on the enviroment). So would it be so terrible if I 'recycled' a second wool kilt??

Why do you need a kilt? If you need one that bad can't you make it yourself out of non animal stuff from the material shop?

And what about second hand meat... have you thought about that? Whether you are the first second or tenth person to buy a woollen jumper or leather shoes, the animal was still exploited and is now dead. :)

treehugga
Oct 22nd, 2005, 03:22 AM
I hate sitting on leather furniture, all I can smell is death. Howver, I can understand why it would be impractical to get something new. I'm really perdandtic and can't have anything dead around the house :( . I have thought of having my partner made into a lampshade though when he goes, as he has lots of tattoos! :)

treehugga
Oct 22nd, 2005, 03:24 AM
I have friend who wear second hand fur and think it's ok :mad: I believe it is still advertising for those who participate in this horrible act of abuse :(

TheFirstBus
Oct 22nd, 2005, 03:32 PM
Why do you need a kilt? If you need one that bad can't you make it yourself out of non animal stuff from the material shop?

And what about second hand meat... have you thought about that? Whether you are the first second or tenth person to buy a woollen jumper or leather shoes, the animal was still exploited and is now dead. :)

Well I don't see anything wrong with secondhand meat :D.

Do I need to mention that I am only joking or can we take that as a given??

princessemma
Oct 22nd, 2005, 04:05 PM
Perhaps this is two-faced as I am still using old leather and wool but I couldn't ever take someone wearing fur as a serious vegetarian or vegan because most meat-eaters disagree with fur. I am having problems finding suitable non-leather shoes for my daughter there seems to be only one site that sells them and they are not really what I had in mind. Yet there are loads for adults. Any suggestions anyone :confused:

treehugga
Oct 23rd, 2005, 07:47 AM
I don't know about the Uk, but in Australia you can buy lots of synthetic shoes for kids in large department stores like K Mart and Target. Try Marks & Sparks :) and yes I do hate buying from the multi corps, but if it's a choice between non animal and animal I will go there for limited supplies.

Green_Faery
Oct 27th, 2005, 12:47 AM
I don't see any problem with second hand non-vegan goods. I'd rather buy a wool shirt from a thrift store than a cotton shirt from an exploitative corporation. I go for what's most ethical, and if the wool shirt happens to be most ethical, then that's the one I'll get.

adam antichrist
Oct 27th, 2005, 02:35 AM
I don't see any problem with second hand non-vegan goods. I'd rather buy a wool shirt from a thrift store than a cotton shirt from an exploitative corporation. I go for what's most ethical, and if the wool shirt happens to be most ethical, then that's the one I'll get.

Why not just go without until you find a second-hand cotton or other vegan material?

Green_Faery
Oct 30th, 2005, 04:20 AM
sometimes that doesn't really work... like when it's the middle of winter, and the only coat I have is a wool one that somebody gave me.

HarleyT
Oct 30th, 2005, 09:04 PM
sometimes that doesn't really work... like when it's the middle of winter, and the only coat I have is a wool one that somebody gave me.

Well they do say that wearing many layers is better than one large layer. Maybe considering wearing two thinner tops and a denim jacket? There are always options to every dilemma.

Peace,
xx

thecatspajamas1
Oct 30th, 2005, 09:30 PM
I still use the beauty products that I have that may not be vegan or say not tested on animals, because it would be worse to waste them and throw them out. So, I use my old things up and then when I need to buy new things I buy them cruelty-free and vegan.

I have some leather shoes from before I became vegan. I don't really wear them, because I feel like people would notice it and think I'm being hipocritical. I have a hand-me-down coat from my grandmother that is wool, but i wear it because it's second hand and it reminds me of her.

thecatspajamas1
Nov 2nd, 2005, 05:31 AM
When you went vegan, what did you do with all your shoes and belts and things that had leather in them?

I've been vegan for almost a year now, but I still have some of these items in my room. I feel like I'm wasting them by not wearing them, but I'd feel guilty if I wore them. What about jeans with the leather tags on the back?

I'm thinking I should either give these things away to friends or to the salvation army, or I could sell them on ebay and donate the money to an animal rights organization or animal shelter.

abrennan
Nov 2nd, 2005, 05:48 AM
When you went vegan, what did you do with all your shoes and belts and things that had leather in them?

I've been vegan for almost a year now, but I still have some of these items in my room. I feel like I'm wasting them by not wearing them, but I'd feel guilty if I wore them. What about jeans with the leather tags on the back?

I'm thinking I should either give these things away to friends or to the salvation army, or I could sell them on ebay and donate the money to an animal rights organization or animal shelter.

I used them until I could replace them

I have since replaced them all

Hemlock
Nov 2nd, 2005, 08:34 AM
I could sell them on ebay and donate the money to an animal rights organization or animal shelter.

Now there's a fab idea! Pay back.
Sadly as I'm a student I can't afford to get rid of everything and buy new. I'll have to wait until they wear out and then buy new.
I have ditched the non vegan bathroom unguents though - can't face rubbing dead animals on my skin every day:eek:

veganchicken
Dec 6th, 2005, 08:24 AM
I'm totally new to this transition, and I'm taking it slow. The meat and dairy issue I've got covered, I have clear goals in mind about how I want to handle that.

The "animal products" is more tricky. I have a bunch of leather shoes and a couple leather bags. What did you guys do when you went vegan? Throw it all out and start again, or just wear out what you have now? I'm probably going to choose to just wear out what I have, unless I find a really compelling reason not to. I'm just curious to know what you all have done.

Hemlock
Dec 6th, 2005, 08:40 AM
I'm wearing mine out even though I'm not very happy about wearing it.
It seems an insult to the murdered animal not too make full use of it - Either that or give the stuff away to Oxfam, I may do that in time, trouble is as a poverty stricken student I can't afford new shoes right now:(

Geoff
Dec 6th, 2005, 09:17 AM
I totally agree with Hemlock. :)

thecatspajamas1
Dec 6th, 2005, 09:30 AM
maybe you could sell them on ebay and donate the money to animal rights. i would like to do that with my old leather stuff once i figure out how to do an account. :D

veganchicken
Dec 6th, 2005, 06:48 PM
I know it might sound weird but I don't want to give them away because they're nice things, and I'm afraid that whoever I gave them to would try to replace them when they were done! :)

Like I'd give my boots to someone and they'd wear them out and say, "Okay, time to hit the store and find some more leather boots."

Whereas while I'll miss the boots when they're gone, I'm already looking into animal-friendly alternatives.

The one thing I worry a bit about though is environmental impact of the man-made synthetics. Has anyone looked into that?

Hemlock
Dec 6th, 2005, 07:38 PM
The one thing I worry a bit about though is environmental impact of the man-made synthetics. Has anyone looked into that?

Yes, and at this rate I will be going around naked or wearing a grass skirt.....brrrrrrrrrrrrr

You just have to do your best with what we have, one day folk will gasp and laugh at our dilemmas because everyone will be vegan and earth friendly:)

veganchicken
Dec 6th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Yes, and at this rate I will be going around naked or wearing a grass skirt.....brrrrrrrrrrrrr

*laugh*

Actually in a way I hope that will be true! Can't we make just about everything from Hemp these days? :)

veganchicken
Dec 7th, 2005, 04:57 AM
I just found a page that addresses my own question:

http://www.cowsarecool.com/environment.asp

It talks about how leather is so heavily treated that it doesn't biodegrade the way most people think, and how the production of leather is incredibly damaging to the environment. Interesting stuff.

Zandi
Dec 8th, 2005, 07:16 PM
I'm having the same trouble, VeganChicken. I have lots of old leather shoes and a few purses and my old favorite jacket. I can't afford to replace everything at once, but I have slowly found really cheap alternatives! I recently bought a really cheap (but cute!) fabric purse at Target as an interum until I can re-create my wardrobe. When I began to feel guilty for walking around in leather shoes, I looked online and found that alternatives to leather end up being cheaper, sometimes. I also discovered by reading labels that a lot of my old shoes and boots were already man-made! I was happy with that! :D

I have not worn my leather jacket because I just can't anymore. I feel like the legs and head should be attached to the cow and draped over me to show my guilt! I would love to take the advice that thecatspajamas1 gave here and sell some of my things on ebay and donate the money to an animal rights group!! That's great!

My biggest problem is one I am humiliated to admit... my very expensive car has leather seats. :( :( I didn't think much of it when I purchased it because it was standard in the car. Now I feel like I have to apologize each time I sit in the seats! I find myself embarrassed of the car when people comment on it in a good way. Next year, I will sell the car but I am stuck with it for now.

I like your idea of wearing out what you have. I read once that to replace everything all at once may have less of an impact than using that energy and money on tools to teach others. I was once "called" on wearing leather shoes while not eating meat and I just told the truth: I purchased these before I researched what really happens to the animals. Now I choose to spend my time focusing on the animals who are still alive and need my help more; to help those animals who have not yet given their lives unecessarily... Even though it is the truth...I'd rather walk the talk and find very cool shoes and belts to wear that are not from animals!!!

These forums are really helpful to me too to find good online shops for alternatives! Good luck!!

coney
Dec 19th, 2005, 09:21 PM
I don't have any problem using second hand leather or wool. It's actually a great idea (in this day and age, where knitting has come back in full swing) to go get used wool sweaters, unravel them and knit something new. Saves you tons of $, and you're not using new wool.

I hate the oil industry more than the idea of wearing used leather, so really try not to buy fake leather, since it's made from synthetics and is supporting the evil evil oil industry which brings misery to billions of people, AND it will never biodegrade.