PDA

View Full Version : Using old leather and other non-vegan products

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Morna
Jan 10th, 2006, 06:50 AM
I bought what I think is a leather belt from a thrift store recently (after I went vegan) because I had to have the belt for work (dress-code requirement) and I could not find any non-leather ones that I could wear to work, and there were NO immitation leather or non-leather belts available ANYWHERE that fit the dress code (it was all bubble-headed-bleach-blonde stuff. ICK). The belt wasn't marked as being leather or not, so I'm hoping it's immitation. This is the only type of situation where I'll buy leather. I got some no-leather shoes a month ago from a store in the mall and they're awesome!

vuycha
Jan 15th, 2006, 09:09 PM
i would never wear leather jacket or pants, but i have two belts and pair of boots, millitary issue. i got that when i was mobilised and keep them after. i care for environment, i don't use much stuff, and i'm frugal. i'd never buy animal products, but this stuff is already here and in perfect condition. i think it will be arrogantly if i throw it. if some pure animal is dead because of this boots, at least i can wear them till they are usable.

Nadine
Jan 15th, 2006, 10:32 PM
i would never wear leather jacket or pants, but i have two belts and pair of boots, millitary issue. i got that when i was mobilised and keep them after. i care for environment, i don't use much stuff, and i'm frugal. i'd never buy animal products, but this stuff is already here and in perfect condition. i think it will be arrogantly if i throw it. if some pure animal is dead because of this boots, at least i can wear them till they are usable.

I agree. I would never buy items with animal products but I still have leather stuff from years ago. I've slowly been selling off stuff and donating proceeds to animal charities and the unsellable stuff I'm wearing out as I hate waste...seems to take ages though! People (who clearly haven't quite grasped veganism) have bought me stuff with animal products in (or from animal testing companies) as presents(cosmetics, feather bits etc..) and I haven't been brave enough to refuse or sell them though...

thecatspajamas1
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:07 AM
I have a pair of shoes that I bought right before going vegan. They're really nice and I've only gotten to wear them once. The strap is leather though. I don't want to get rid of them because I'd like to make use of them especially because they're new. I'd never buy leather now of course, but I feel like if I wear the shoes people will point it out to me and say something. No one really notices shoes too much, so I guess it would be fine. If it was something blatant that promotes the look, like a leather jacket, then no way!

assilembob
Jan 16th, 2006, 02:23 AM
I actually just found a leather jacket I didn't know I had! I gave it away. Can't bear to wear that.
What is so strange is that I have NEVER bought a leather jacket and I don't have a clue where it came from. It was hiding in my closet.
I also found my 15 year old leather sandals last night. They are still wearable and are good for when I have to be out in the summer getting dirty. I haven't worn them in a few years though...don't go out in the summer in Texas...too hot!

~Mel

ai4i
Jan 24th, 2006, 01:21 AM
I would use a leather holster that comes packaged with a new phone, but what about one that is offered to me in a separate package at no additional cost? I would probably say no, but try to substitute ear buds or a mobile charger in stead.

An important concern I have is this: How important is it for us to not be in public and displaying nonvegan products? I do not mean this as it relates to our personal images, rather, is everything we show others really an advertisement for that product? How often do people see a product worn by someone and decide to go out and get one? Would we be furthering our cause more by not displaying, and advertising, these items.

Tigerlily
Jan 24th, 2006, 01:23 AM
I have a pair of shoes that I bought right before going vegan. They're really nice and I've only gotten to wear them once. The strap is leather though. I don't want to get rid of them because I'd like to make use of them especially because they're new. I'd never buy leather now of course, but I feel like if I wear the shoes people will point it out to me and say something. No one really notices shoes too much, so I guess it would be fine. If it was something blatant that promotes the look, like a leather jacket, then no way!

Yeah, I still wear my leather shoes I bought RIGHT before going vegan. No one mentioned it. But they are bright orange if that makes a difference.

Blueshark
Jan 24th, 2006, 12:26 PM
I can't handle ANY leather of any sort. I have disposed/sold/given away some favourite/expensive leather goods - because I had to.

I am still working on wool and silk. These don't effect me in the same way as leather (its damn skin!!!), but I know the industries suck.

So I am slowly substituting these goods.

My problem is my woolen suits and collection of silk ties. I am unaware of any alternatives, and perhaps I am soft on this part of my clothes - probably because my living depends on it.

herbwormwood
Jan 24th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Its up to you!
You will have seen that there are a lot of opinions on this one.
Personally I used some leather shoes until they wore out and gave the rest away. It is disrespectful to the animal that died to just throw it in the bin, that means it died for absolutely nothing and will end up harming the planet by going into landfill.
By replacing all your old non vegan stuff with vegan stuff all at once you would be being wasteful and the production of non vegan items still harms the planet to some extent or other because it uses up the earth's finite resources and causes pollution, and the stuff you throw away goes in landfill.
I now buy shoes from vegan companies and my clothes, bags etc from environmentally friendly and fair trade companies, such as Ethical Wares,
http://www.ethicalwares.com/
Natural Collection
http://www.naturalcollection.com/
People Tree
http://www.ptree.co.uk/,
Or I buy second hand from charity shops (but not ones where the charity raises money for testing on animals, like BHF, CRC etc.
When I have finished with something I give it to a friend or take it to the PDSA charity shop. I used to take my stuff to Oxfam shop but since their "Send a Cow" campaign I have switched to the PDSA.

GreenMonkey
Feb 2nd, 2006, 06:00 AM
I think if you don't have to wear your old non-vegan clothing items, I wouldn't. Especially if you want to make a statement by being a vegan. You are telling the world, you don't have to use animal products to live a modern life. So go ahead and prove it. Really live as a vegan if you can.

Now if you have old wool items, which you only wear once a year because it's something you don't want to buy a new one of, like a suit or hat or something, then I don't think its a big deal. It's once a year. You will be the only person who knows.

We gave almost everything we had away to friends or goodwill so someone in need could use them. And we would never buy animal products again.

Gary M. Thomas
Feb 15th, 2006, 02:02 PM
......is it ok to still use these products once I become full vegan? Thanks!! :)

Black Cat

Just wondering.... why would you even want to? :confused:

After making a personal commitment to Vegetarianism (or, better yet, Veganism)... I wouldn't think that you'd want those products anywhere around you.

Just my opinion..... :)

ai4i
Feb 15th, 2006, 02:44 PM
...After making a personal commitment to...Veganism...I wouldn't think that you'd want those products anywhere around you.
I am prepared to intensify my post, six above.
In my pre-vegan era, I had purchased non-vegan products after seeing them being used by other people. We must never display - advertise - non-vegan products. It is a counterproductive and harmful practice.

tipsy
Feb 15th, 2006, 04:14 PM
im right there with you!:D

when i was ovo-lacto (for many many years) i only purchased lether, wool, ect. second hand.

now that im vegan i have these products laying around, and i occasionally wear them, but always feel bad.
i feel like i need to represent my aversion for buying such things!

veggiesosage
Feb 15th, 2006, 09:00 PM
So is it the 'advertising' of leather thats bad or the fact that you've got leather near you. Its just I've got Vegetarian Shoes' walking boots that look just like leather ones and they do jackets as well. Seen some fairly realistic fake fur too. People might think these things are real and think we're 'advertising' animal products.

harpy
Feb 15th, 2006, 11:38 PM
I don't think most people notice what kind of shoes etc other people are wearing to any great extent, unless perhaps they're having one of those "Well you wear leather shoes don't you?" conversations.

I quite like the ones that say "Vegetarian Shoes" in large letters on the outside though :D Good talking point.

Tigerlily
Feb 16th, 2006, 12:05 AM
I still wear my old leather shoes but no one asks me if they are leather (except for my cynical brother). They are bright orange, if that makes a difference.

speedylemons
Feb 16th, 2006, 12:26 AM
i shop at pretty much only thrift stores.. rarely anywhere NON-thrift store..

So, if i find a leather belt there or something like that [really that's the only thing in leather i would even consider] as well as a wool sweater or something i will buy it if i like it. This is my way of helping recycle and i don't feel bad because it's there already and it's going to get thrown out if someone doesn't buy it.

I know this can be turned around to say that i am one of those freeitarians or whatever but this is the only case where i make exceptions regarding animal products. I have a few pairs of really old shoes [skate shoes, i.e. vans and a pair of duffs] that have suede but im not going to just throw them out. I plan on wearing them out and getting complete use out of them and once they are gone they are gone.

That being said, i rarely find a wool sweater that's not disgustingly itchy and stiff, nor do i have any interest in wearing any form of leather other than some crappy preused belt or like the shoes i already have.

tipsy
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:26 AM
So is it the 'advertising' of leather thats bad or the fact that you've got leather near you. Its just I've got Vegetarian Shoes' walking boots that look just like leather ones and they do jackets as well. Seen some fairly realistic fake fur too. People might think these things are real and think we're 'advertising' animal products.

yes, but if im wearing old leather shoes and someone feels the need to question me, what can i say but, "yes, they are leather, but theyre old"

if im wearing vegan leather looking shoes and someone feels the need to question me, i can condfidently say, "no theyre vegan shoes, arent they cool, i got them from this website/store":D

i guess when it comes down to it, i hate the thought of wearing leather/wool/animal products...i will feel sick the entire time!

i have a beautiful (except for the angora part) angora sweater that was given to me as a gift the year before i went vegan... its a darling thing, but i just cant stand to wear it!:(

Blueshark
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:11 AM
I was just reading in the news that the Canadian Slalom team are using a material for their Slalom suits called Spyder d3o suits. These are flexible and become hard on impact.

Check out: d3o (http://www.d3olab.com/)

Perhaps a good material for bike/ or any protective gear :cool:

PsychoG13
Mar 27th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Hi,
I have been Vegan for about a year and a half now but there a few things I would like to hear feedback on. Before i turned vegan I spent about £200 - £300 on a brand new designer 100% Wool suit. I did however buy a new non-animal suit once i realised but that old suit is still in my wardrobe...
I kinda feel like i have already done the damage and nothing really can be done about that but im not sure wether i should ever wear it again just because a vegan who wear's wool would hardally seem vegan at all?

What do you think about this situation?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)
Thank you
xGx

RedWellies
Mar 27th, 2006, 01:36 PM
As you say "the damage has already been done" but leaving it unworn seems pointless to me. If you don't feel you can wear it again you could maybe sell it or give to to someone/a charity. Please don't feel bad about it, lots of vegans have things left over from their "old lives".

Pob
Mar 27th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums.

Wearing non vegan clothes until they are worn out is kind of standard practice after turning vegan. If it saves you buying another suit for a while then you are saving the environmental damage that making a new suit causes.

A leather jacket would be different as it would be fairly obviously made of leather - most people won't be able to tell that the suit is wool. The real danger is that many people love to try and catch vegans out with hypothetical what ifs or checking our shoes and belts.

I still have some leather boots, but I only wear them now for working outside.

insubordination
Mar 28th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Your guilt is your conscience telling you what is right for you. Learn from it and apply it to the future - past is past.

It would be liberating to donate your suit to charity, the cost isn't worth the cost to the sheep.

I wouldn't judge you if your kept it either but the fact that your wrestling with this decision tells me you know the answer.

It's hard being true to yourself sometimes but you must.

I had a stuggle today. Every week my students (I'm in adult ed.) get a carton of milk for their tea and coffee. It's bought by the receptionist every Monday. Well, she was away this Monday so I went to buy it myself. I took it from the fridge at the back of the supermarket and as I walk to the check out, I started thinking. I figured there are worse things than for the student to have black (unfair trade) tea and coffee.

Like being raped and falling pregnant and having your baby taken away and locked up for veal and being in a stall hooked up to a milking machine and fed hormones and so you can must produce and produce until you can produce no more, despite pain and infections. When you're not donating enough milk from your teets, you are brutally slaughtered and eaten.

So, I turned right around and put the milk back.
I wouldn't want that done to me so how can I do it to another animal?

Nest
Mar 28th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Since it was/is a very expensive suit, if you still feel (emotionally)comfortable wearing it then keep it. :)

herbwormwood
Mar 28th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums.

Wearing non vegan clothes until they are worn out is kind of standard practice after turning vegan. If it saves you buying another suit for a while then you are saving the environmental damage that making a new suit causes.

Yes, I agree with this absolutely. Unfortunately cotton production (raw materials of a cotton based suit) causes a lot of environmental damage, even organic cotton is not fully environmentally friendly because of the amount of land taken for cotton production which sometimes involves habitat destruction.
Synthetic fibres are made from petroleum which is also environmentally damaging. The best fibre for the environment is recycled (secondhand) or hemp fibre (there are many outlets selling hemp clothes).
Wear your suit if you want.
If you don't want, give it away, maybe to an animal related charity.
If you sell it, you are profiting from it. Personally if I were to sell an animal derived item of clothing I would want to give the proceeds to an animal charity. Be careful to avoid any charities which raise money for medical charities as they usually test on animals.