PDA

View Full Version : Using old leather and other non-vegan products

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10

bexter
Jan 4th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Hi.
When I was young (and clueless) I had a thing for leather. I'm ashamed of how insensitive I was back then.
I've been cleaning out my attic and came across all of the leather and don't know what to do with it. I need help/advice from my vegan friends.

I don't know if I should keep it, donate it, sell it (and donate the money to an animal sanctuary), trash it...argh.

It's been something that I've been struggling with for several weeks now.

What would you do?

Regards.
-Rebecca

kriz
Jan 4th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Hi, bexter... I'm from LA too, and I can advice you to go to "Buffalo Exhange" (there's one on LaBrea and third, I believe) or "Crossroads" vintage stores to try to sell your leather stuff. The items must be in good condition and in style (something that a fashionable person would wear). I sold some clothes there last week and got 20 bucks for a few shirts!:)

bexter
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Thanks Kriz. I'll check it out. The stuff is in good shape - kinda retro (80 metal era), but seeing as things just keep on coming back in style...

TzevY21
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:49 AM
I've been having a hard time thinking/deciding on what to do with all my "pre-vegan" products as well...

*** All belts, sandals, and my regular running shoes that I THINK have leather in them (Nike and KSWISS have been a rather headache trying to figure out if each individual shoe they make does/does not have any leather in it)
*** A blanket/comforter that is made up of feathers I believe...come to think of it, don't most of my pillows have feathers in them too???

I'm currently trying to go vegan after about a month of veggie so still have a lot of vegetarian items in my place (milk, cheese)...Also, I'm a college student that works in a college dining hall, thus practically no vegan things to speak of, other than salads 24/7. I do have some other options, but I think it's smart to ease into being vegan while I'm out in public and not look at every ingredient in the breads at work and such, etc. (especially with very little selection at a college) while attempting to be completely vegan at home. I've read the arguments about what to do with old non-vegan objects, and each way makes sense to me (use until we can discard ourselves/sell and donate money/give to friends and family, etc), just not sure which to impose...only more time and knowledge will tell I guess

veglover89
Apr 9th, 2007, 09:34 AM
i have the most beautiful patterned dress, it doesnt even look like wool but apparently has 20% wool or something. and i had it two years before even going veggie, and just cant bring myself to give it away.. in my justification, its not very woolified, so is hardly encouraging others to wear wool, and also not contributing to further animal suffering.. i kind of agree that as long as you dont buy further animal stuff, you're not going against your vegan principles

sprite1986
Apr 9th, 2007, 09:36 AM
I'm honestly of the opinion that you should make best use of an item until it wears out. There's no point throwing it away. As regards the pillow, it depends what you're comfortable with, as I'm sure these probably won't wear out in due course! Maybe sell/give them away? It's up to you.

Welldone on your month of vegetarianism, and it's fantastic that you've decided to go the whole way and switch to being vegan. :D You honestly just have to do what you're comfortable with, and feels right. You're your own judge. Just try and avoid animal products as best you can, that's all anyone can ask of you. :)

I hope this post has actually been of some help, and it doesn't sound too cliched! Haha. :rolleyes:

Haniska
Apr 16th, 2007, 05:48 PM
I'm currently trying to go vegan after about a month of veggie so still have a lot of vegetarian items in my place (milk, cheese)...Also, I'm a college student that works in a college dining hall, thus practically no vegan things to speak of, other than salads 24/7. I do have some other options, but I think it's smart to ease into being vegan while I'm out in public and not look at every ingredient in the breads at work and such, etc. (especially with very little selection at a college) while attempting to be completely vegan at home.

I went the same way and eventually stopped eating things that I came to know where not vegan.

crimson~noir
Oct 9th, 2007, 12:36 PM
I think that there is no point in being wasteful (we don't all have lots of money). I threw away 2 pairs of leather shoes as I couldn't handle the idea of leather any more(I have small feet so no one to give them too). But I have some jumpers and a few house hold goods that need using up that I hadn't even thought of as being 'bad' before going vegan (I always bought non animal tested make up etc).

eve
Mar 8th, 2008, 03:05 AM
I know several people who never throw away ANYTHING - they think it is wasteful. In fact some of them eat whatever is on their plates, rather than get rid of it. In other words they become their own garbage bins.

It's true we don't have much money - I live on an aged pension and pay rent - but there's no way that I'll use old leather handbags just because they are there. I have a good relationship with my garbage bin; accumulating things is just not my scene. Some of you could try it. :)

Roxy
Mar 8th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Perhaps over time, but if I threw all my leather shoes away today, I couldn't afford to go and replace them all tomorrow. As they wear out, I replace them.

Sarah_
Mar 8th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Yeah, this is definitely an issue. I have a crapload of stuff that I LOVED before I went veggie and I didn't even think about the fact that there might be leather in it, because even then I made a point not to wear leather and stuff but sometimes I never even thought about it. I feel really guilty but I still wear the belt sometimes because my pants don't stay up. It was like fifty bucks so I don't want to just throw it away. I also have a feather mattress, comforter, and pillows that I got from my granny who's had them for years and years and years. I don't have the money to go get new stuff, plus there's a lot of sentimental attachment in them. I don't plan on getting rid of my bedclothes because of this, so I guess I agree with what everyone else is saying. Might as well use these things up until you can't anymore so at least it's going to good use.
I don't have any fur, but if I did I'd give that up to that place where they give the fur coats to baby animals.

treehugga
Mar 9th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Here's my suggestion.

1. Dig a deep hole.
2. Put your leather item in it.
3. Fill hole with earth and give the poor corpse the buriel it deserves!

I wouldn't wear human leather so why would it ever be ok to parade in that of a non human creature?

Moonharvester
Mar 31st, 2008, 08:57 PM
Don't you think that it should be used up, or at the very least donated. Instead of just putting the animals life in vain.

heat13
Apr 14th, 2008, 08:09 AM
I just gave bags of food to a local group home.

heat13
Apr 14th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Yeah, this is definitely an issue. I have a crapload of stuff that I LOVED before I went veggie and I didn't even think about the fact that there might be leather in it, because even then I made a point not to wear leather and stuff but sometimes I never even thought about it. I feel really guilty but I still wear the belt sometimes because my pants don't stay up. It was like fifty bucks so I don't want to just throw it away. I also have a feather mattress, comforter, and pillows that I got from my granny who's had them for years and years and years. I don't have the money to go get new stuff, plus there's a lot of sentimental attachment in them. I don't plan on getting rid of my bedclothes because of this, so I guess I agree with what everyone else is saying. Might as well use these things up until you can't anymore so at least it's going to good use.
I don't have any fur, but if I did I'd give that up to that place where they give the fur coats to baby animals.
baby animals.[/quote]
Yes, I totally agree!
I think it's all about what you can comfortably do! Don't try to make dramatic changes that would totally hurt you financially. I don't think that is what it is about. Small changes= big difference! Think of what you are doing that is already making a HUGE impact!

SarcasticCookie
Jun 11th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I feel that if I had some animal product at my house already, throwing it out wouldn't make a difference. If I had a leather jacket, I'd keep it because I know some poor animal died for it and throwing it out would be disrespectful. Or I'd give it away.

I finished up all my non vegan shampoos and soaps after i became vegan, and never bought them again.

Prawnil
Jun 11th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I have one leather item left, and it's functional. I think one left, anyway.

This is a long shot, but I wondered if anyone passing by this has ever seen, or knows of, razor Strops that are not made of leather. Or of linen or canvas fine strops that don't have the obligatory leather side. Or even imitation leather strops.
I probably won't have to replace it in my lifetime, but I would prefer to switch to fleshless, of course.

eve
Jun 12th, 2008, 05:49 AM
... If I had a leather jacket, I'd keep it because I know some poor animal died for it and throwing it out would be disrespectful. Or I'd give it away.

Hello sarcastic - like the dead animal would think you are being disrespectful? The animal did not 'die for it' the animal was killed. I prefer the suggestion of digging a hole and burying it.

Digital Ghost
Jun 12th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I go with Treehugga's suggestion........bury it.

Years ago I suggested the same thing to the question 'If everyone turned vegan overnight what should we do with all the meat?'
In a room filled with omni's, everyone found my answer hilarious.

However - I still think it is the correct answer.

horselesspaul
Jun 12th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Why not give it to someone who thinks an animal's skin is a suitable clothing material?
I gave away all my non vegan stuff all at once almost 20 years ago and just went without until I could replace it with vegan versions.

Twist Kick
Jun 13th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I dunno guys. I only have one leather item: a pair of old sneaker/shoes that I've had for about four years. All my other shoes are synthetic and I don't wear any other leather/fur/wool.

However, I still have the shoes. One, they're a good pair of shoes and they're holding up well, and throwing away a useful item kinda goes against the reuse-reduce-recycle mindset - which I'd certianly think a lot of vegans shared.

Also, I need them for work (I work in a candy packing factory and leather shoes are required. Why? I don't know. But it specifies LEATHER shoes, not just tennis or walking shoes or sneakers).

Am I a bad person? I only wear them when I need to (ie, work, or work-related anything) and I'm much happier in my awesome synthetic army boots or synthetic sandals (which I need to replace, they're broken pretty badly, meh!), but I mean, should I just toss these and buy a look-alike and lie and say they are leather?

I really doubt my boss would be alright with a change from the mandated dress code, vegan or not. :/

(and for anyone who is about to suggest I quit - don't. please. I can't afford to quit a job over shoes. or anything, for that matter. I'm sorry. Surviving comes before ethics, and I need the money to survive.)

Risker
Jun 13th, 2008, 01:04 AM
I doubt the leather bit is important, by saying leather shoes I think they're just trying to say "normal looking shoes"

horselesspaul
Jun 13th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Yes.
If you can afford it, I'm sure that a pair of shoes that appear to be made of leather will suffice.
You'll feel happier about it too....so toss the old ones and lie!

Twist Kick
Jun 13th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Well, I would indeed feel better if I could wear some non leather shoes, I even have some synthetic non-skid shoes from a previous job.. -bites lip-

But I just don't know if it's right to just toss them away. Do you think Goodwill would accept them?

Laura-Louise
Jun 17th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I've just finished Vegan Freak and they make a very good point re wearing your leather goods until they wear out. As soon as I mentioned I was vegan to my mother, she immediately scanned me for leather! And unfortunately for me, I hadn't really thought about leather at that point in my new found veganism so there I was wearing leather shoes (which I had bought off Ebay second hand but still) and she proceeded to give me that look meat-eaters give you when they think they've won - you know the one.

Vegan Freak makes the point that wearing leather will only give confused signals regarding your veganism, but throwing out old leather is wasteful - I'm going with the selling it all on Ebay and donating the money to an AR org - any suggestions which one?