PDA

View Full Version : Giving Up Coffee - Personal Experience And Suggestions Welcome:)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Sabster
Jul 17th, 2004, 12:38 AM
In general if I want I can often give something up cold turkey... but that's usually easier for me when it's based on ethical reasons or very well informed knowledge... or even safety in terms of food.

Now coffee.... errr that ones a bit more complicated. I've kind of tried in the past and been successful for like a week... to a month.... probably not a month but atleastly a week.

The thing is it's such an engrained habit. And obviously a bit of an addiction too. I've been drinking the stuff since I was in middle school.... that's like almost 10 years.... I love the aroma... etc etc. I'm not sure it's all addiction based... I just like it.

I'm such a high stress person that it's just there... I live under stress... school... work... etc. So, yeh. Enough of a ramble.... eh.

I worked in a bookstore for several years... I've seen the threads on this forum... I've read articles... I've heard it from friends... and I'm familiar w the book mentioned in other threads... but at the time I'm not as interested in the side effects... and everyone has their own story to tell.... instead... I'd like good/great natural energy boosters... alternatives... great fruit shakes.... or something to nix the habit.

How about decaf coffee and tea.... ??? Not that I'm interested in drinking decaf ... a false boost.... when I'm feeling like heck in the morning and have to work... but more for taste reasons. Atleastly, at this point.

This might be a short lived thing... but I'd like to give it another try... maybe more serious or permanent this time. I'm hoping that it will be good for me and my nerves in the long term. I'm kind of sluggish as of late... but I think that's more the running around not preparing my own meals than a byproduct of my coffee consumption.

DontJustDoSomething, SitThere
Jul 17th, 2004, 01:11 AM
If you find that you need energy boosters, maybe you should try to find out what it is that is reducing your energy? Maybe even coffee does (after an hour or three?)

Lots of people feel that sugar and wheat (especially white bread) disturbs their energy. The two together is a real energy killer on my system.

foxytina_69
Jul 17th, 2004, 01:17 AM
hi sabster :)

good that youre giving up coffee! :) its not attractive to see people freak out in mornings and need their cup of coffee before they can go on with their day!

how many cups do u drink a day? i would slowly go down one cup every two or so days. if u drink three, drink two. then one. then none. (or u could go down by half cups) then u could switch to decaf. (i know the aroma is delicious) u probably will go thru sum detox symptoms, as its a chemical your body is addicted to after drinkingit for so long, but im sure after a few days youll feel aLOT better, and the energy ull feel in the morning is such a different energy then your coffee dose.

tsunami
Jul 17th, 2004, 08:18 AM
A B-complex vitamin will help a lot with your stress problem, and better rest as well. Just set aside time to go take a nap or just rest and calm down, even ifitis just minutes a day, it helps. Meditation also help a HUGE amount.

Reducing the amount is good. You can also skip sips. when you are about to take one, stop and just hold it off. Instead of what would be your third sip, have taken only one or two, and it will go down eventually. And cut down on the overlal amount drunk like the statement above by foxytina_69.

Coffee can and often does take away your energy. It releases adrenaline and sugars, which over time go down, making you tired again. They can even make you gain weight. And the overuse of adrenaline makes you more and more tired.

Hope this helps, good luck. ^_^

cedarblue
Jul 17th, 2004, 02:15 PM
i enjoy the OCCASIONAL cup of cafetiere coffee - i like to have one after a meal when out, so i'm not the only one not having a creamy dessert & just sitting there twiddling thumbs waiting for someone to ask me to try their ice cream (oh go on try it! just a smidge! go on, go on!! :mad: )

i like the OCCASIONAL coffee at home too.
always decaf and black, no sugar.

Sabster
Jul 17th, 2004, 03:49 PM
lol .... I haven't thought of coffee as a dessert... but you know.. Now a nice starbucks soy late is a total treat.... but eh a bit on the pricy side.

yeh I might go w the twidling down.... that way I don't revert back. I'm going to give it a go w none for a couple of days since I'm working late sunday and off today... It's always easier when obligations aren't there.

ConsciousCuisine
Jul 17th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Switching to green tea or yerba mate as a transition (they are energizing and beneficial) has always worked for my clients. It can be a shock to your system if you don't transition at a comfortable rate for your body to be able to adapt to and that' places unecessary stress on your system.

cedarblue
Jul 17th, 2004, 08:42 PM
i also like earl grey tea decaf my fav and green tea with lemon, and fennel tea and nettle tea and lime flower tea. the yogi range of teas are nice, sore throat tea, womens tea, detox tea to name a few

Gorilla
Jul 17th, 2004, 08:59 PM
i'm trying to give up coffee too. i only drink one cup in the morning but i think i'm relying on it too much for supposed energy-boosting.

i drink decaf sometimes with soya milk, it's still got a nice flavour. i'd like to drink herbal/fruit teas but i've tried loads of different kinds and i just can't bear the taste :( don't know why but they always taste really weak and make me feel a bit sick.

After The Rain
Jul 17th, 2004, 09:33 PM
It's interesting to see ho we all tend to think that if we drop something we need to replace it with something else, like replacing coffee with tea or herb tea. We don't! :)

Sabster
Jul 17th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Well, tea wouldn't exactly be a replacement since I'm a frequent tea drinker too. If I'm not drinking coffee I'm drinking tea.

I love a lot of herbal teas. Especially florally based teas.... they smell so goood... and taste just great. They're so good you only need a fractional amount of sweetner to bring out the flavor.

Green tea is supposed to be good for you. But so many mixed stories out there about things... Probably in moderation.

I love English tea... I've been drinking it since well before coffee:)

Yeh... total caffeine head here.... I was doing a little cleaning around my place but I'll probably brew one of my herbal teas later:)

ConsciousCuisine
Jul 18th, 2004, 01:25 AM
It is a part of human nature to revert to old habits, especially when there is not only a psychological "addiction" to a substance (or activity or whatever), but when there is an actual physiological reliance on a chemical substance that alters your chemistry, then it helps ensure your success if you transition/ "wean off of" the habit at times. Otherwise, it is a shock to the system and can greatly increase the urge to partake of and the withdrawl from said substance. Transisitoning is important, just as many people who decide to go to a vegan lifestyle from the S.A.D require a transitioning from one place of meat eating to the veganism instead of an instant "epiphany". Making lasting, healthy, conscious choices and changes is really a journey, not a destination.

eve
Jul 18th, 2004, 04:50 AM
From time to time I drink good coffee, and enjoy it. I rarely drink tea, occasionally have a cup of cocoa. and like hot water with a piece of lemon in it, sweetened with stevia.

Jul 18th, 2004, 05:23 AM
Hi Eve, I just read this (http://www.cspinet.org/new/stevia.html) about stevia. Do you know more about it? The article is a few years old, but it seems that experts still disagree on stevia.

gertvegan
Jul 18th, 2004, 05:29 PM
A wake up and smell the coffee article from get ethical. Click here (http://www.ethicalmatters.co.uk/articles.asp?itemID=254&title=Food%20&%20Drink)

eve
Jul 19th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Hi DontJustDo.... no I've not seen any scientific studies, but the fact that the FDA hasn't yet approved the use of stevia doesn't concern me. After all, they have approved the use of aspartame and saccharin, both of which DO cause harm! I squeeze a little stevia if I want to sweeten cocoa or lemon drink; I'm not a big drinker of cocoa, but usually have a glass of hot lemon once a day. The FDA has also approved the use of GM foods, irradiated foods, etc.

Jul 19th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Sure, I don't trust FDA either, I just think that if it isn't even FDA approved, it could be really bad. On the other hand, maybe the sugar industry is putting pressure on FDA, like they have done with WHO. Stevia has been used for centuries, and I have no reason to suspect it to be harmful. The only "scary" thing is that it is so extremely sweet. I checked Google, and nobody seems to agree on how sweet is really is... 15-30 times sweeter than sugar, 40 times sweeter, 180 times, 200, 250, 300, 70-400 times sweeter...: http://www.google.com/search?q=stevia+times+sweeter+than+sugar&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Sabster
Jul 20th, 2004, 05:21 AM
I like the article. That's really great:)

Err... I'm off of coffee for err almost 4 days... but not caffeine. I had green tea a couple of days ago to soothe a headache... and working a late shift I gave in to caffeinated soda to gain a little energy at end of shift... and I don't like soda... but it's a lesser dose of caffeine than coffee.

eve
Jul 20th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Hi Dontjustdosomething.... I just happen to have come across a recent article on stevia by Dominique Finney who runs a natural practice on Queensland's Sunshine Coast. She says that the stevia leaf must come close to qualifying as the queen of herbal sweeteners! She refers to hundreds of scientific studies documenting its ability to help regulate blood sugar, lower elevated blood pressure, aiding the healing of wounds, reducing acne, improving digestion. It has a glycaemic index of zero, it promotes pancreatic health, and contains a variety of useful minerals and herbs. As to Stevia's sweetness, she says it is 30 times sweeter than sugar.

I read it in the Aug/Sept Nature & Health. Her website: http://www.medicineroom.net/

eve
Jul 21st, 2004, 01:26 PM
Interesting article in the EMagazine on coffee, not just its taste but the ethical aspect.
http://www.emagazine.com/view/?1970 (the number 1970 doesn't relate to a year but to a numbering system for articles).

gertvegan
Aug 12th, 2004, 11:33 AM
An interesting drmcdougall newsletter titled Coffee – Pleasure and Pain, Quitting Is Better Than a Lifetime of Medications or Worse. Just here. (http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/2004nl/040700pucoffee.htm)

Gorilla
Aug 12th, 2004, 11:48 AM
hmmm thanks for the article, i quit coffee cold 'tofurky' as it suggests when the weather got too hot to drink it. that was quite a few weeks ago but i don't feel much different to be honest. i guess my symptoms aren't coffee related (suspected that anyway though)

Roxy
Aug 16th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Some others may have received this in their inbox today. I thought it was an interesting read about the effects of coffee. Coffee affects blood sugar levels (http://www.NewsTarget.com/001514.html)

Atlanta Newbie
Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:38 AM
I quit my 3-4 cup per day coffee habit a few weeks ago. I had tried the gradual approach before with little success, so this time I did it all at once. My only advice is to have a lot of bottled water handy. That definitely helped me through.

Mystic
Aug 24th, 2004, 10:27 AM
I am giving up cold tofurkey as well coz (I have anorexia) and yesterday I was really tired coz I didn;t sleep. On top of that I was anxious about having to gain 5kg and eating lots of cake! I had drank 2 perculated long blacks due to tiredness and I actually engaged in panic attacks and shakiness all day. I am convinced it was the caffiene...What else has caffiene in it?