PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone in here ever tried HotHuck's?

ZZ
Aug 31st, 2005, 04:31 AM
If you did, could you tell me if you ever found something that was as good in terms of quality, price and convenience? But EASIER to buy!!!

To give you some background info and help you understand where I'm coming from; Apart from being a vegan, I'm part of a small private outing club and responsible for the food during our trips.

I've searched far and wide for something that would be light to carry, simple to prepare, moderately priced, very nutritious, would taste great and comes in more than ONE flavour.

Well, I found it a few months ago. What might be among the best vegan food sold at the weirdest place. A company called Hothuck's (http://www.hothucks.com/) produces remarkable soy veggie ground, but only sell their products at Mountain Equipment Co-op (www.mec.ca) (http://www.mec.ca)/) !!! Even worst, they produce what might be the best veggie burger on the planet, but forget it. You won't find it in any supermarket, nor health food store, not even at MEC. If you want it, you have to order it from them directly.

I agree that price, quality and taste are excellent. In particular the veggie burger. But since I live 80 miles from the closest MEC store and since I am not a fan of mail order, I was wondering if anyone out there found something as good as HotHuck's, BUT is more convenient to purchase? I live in a major North American city with all traditional stores nearby (or at least within reasonable driving distance).

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Yoggy
Aug 31st, 2005, 05:13 AM
Well there are Boca burgers (comes in 5 flavours, but "Vegan Original" is the only one that I know for sure is vegan), and they're available at most supermarkets. They taste really good and are pretty hearty, like a real hamburger. Also, Yves makes a really great veggie ground round, and it's available pretty much anywhere. I've never tried anything by Hothucks, so I'm not sure if the quality is as good as theirs. But it's worth a try. Good luck!

ZZ
Aug 31st, 2005, 01:54 PM
Thanks Yoggy,

veggie burger is not my main interest. I mentionned it just to provide all the facts.

My goal is finding "portable" veggie food. Hothuck's has absolutely everything we need for our outing trips, but I find getting it is quite an inconvenience. Naturally, we never bring veggie burger on the road. Hothuck's veggie burger requires you to add water and leave it in the fridge for 4-12 hours.

Just to clarify, Hothuck's is dry food. You add water, cook for 5 minutes and that's it. It comes in three flavours; italian, chili and curry. This is suitable for outdoor, as well as indoor. The veggie burger, because it needs to go in the fridge, is not suitable for our trips. Sorry for the confusion.

Btw, I don't know about Boca, but concerning Yves, it cannot even compare with Hothuck's. I've been eating Yves at home for years, but after you try Hothuck's, nothing else will do. I was not kidding when I wrote, "maybe the best veggie burger in the world, but the worst distribution system possible".

I guess if no one else has a solution, I'll have to buy in bulk order and drive 160 miles to get it. Thanks again.

ZZ
Sep 9th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Nobody???

Ok, let me put it in a different way: Of all the people who come here, some of you must go on outing trips that last more than one day. What are you bringing along as food? Also, if you could specify the approximate number of people in your group, and the season during which you do your outdoor activities, I would appreciate. Winter makes it easier to bring almost any food you want.

Thanks.