PDA

View Full Version : greens

Pages : [1] 2 3

foxytina_69
Sep 2nd, 2005, 09:53 AM
what are some of your favorite healthy greens (other than lettuces) that we should eat (kale, collards, etc.) and what are some ideas to cook/prepare/eat them? i have no clue where to start.

FR
Sep 2nd, 2005, 10:13 AM
I love kale. I sear it with onions, garlic, and a seasoning product called Spike. I also use it in place of lettuce on veggie sandwiches... example, a sandwich made of whole wheat bread, hummus, kale, tomato, and onion, mmmmmmm! Oh yeah, it is also nice in a whole grain pasta/nutritional yeast based cheese bake with tomatoes and black olives.

I also like making salads with baby spinach leaves. I always add orange slices to the salad as the vitamin c in the ranges off set the nutrient blocking high oxalate content found in spinach.

A side of steamed collard greens with Earth Balance spread rocks, too!

Tigerlily
Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:41 PM
Steam some kale with carrots and garlic....yummy!

I use kale instead of lettuce in sandwiches too.

Spinach salads with red bell peppers are a good choice too, since I can't eat oranges.

My mother sautees endives and/or dandelion greens with onions and garlic. And then you genoursly sprinkle on the lemon juice and eat it with pita bread to fill you up.

Adding bok choy to stirfries is good too. Less of an intense taste as kale, so it's pretty good. To boost the calcium, add some seasme seeds to the stirfry at the end.

abrennan
Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:51 PM
I had baby spinach in my salad with capsicum, cucumber and sprouted peas and beans. Oh yeah and avocado

Antony

adam antichrist
Sep 2nd, 2005, 02:42 PM
wtf is kale? I've heard of collared greens but don't know what they are.
I really love brocoli, raw or cooked it's delicious! I steam it, slow fry it in pasta or stir fry with tamari; chuck it in a gren curry...

I really love snow peas and they get whacked in salads and stirfries, also a great garnish over a rich red sauce (bright green garnish always stands out the most :))

argh this thread is making me hungry... it's after 11.30pm and the wrong end of the day for eating...
BAH!

jillian
Sep 2nd, 2005, 03:02 PM
wtf is kale? I've heard of collared greens but don't know what they are.Oh so glorious kale (http://images.google.com/images?q=%22kale%22&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wi). Some people find kale a bit bitter, but I love the stuff. It's good if you bake it, too. It gets nice and crispy. Also love it in soups with potatoes or sweet potatoes.

Collards are common in southern U.S. cooking (although recipes (http://recipes.epicurean.com/results.jsp?ingredients=Collard) would definitely have to be adapted to be vegan -- most recipes call for ham, so think salty/smoky). They're a flat-leaf green, pretty stiff and need to be cooked for some time before they go soft.

My new favorite is purslane. I decided to give it a go after seeing it at the farmer's market. It's almost lemony and quite delicate. I sauteed purslane with some sunflower greens, lemon juice, lemon verbena, miso and nutritional yeast and topped it with squash blossoms stuffed with pea-mint risotto and fell in love.

I'm also a fan of chard even though it's not the best place to get calcium. I sautee it with garlic, dried figs and a pinch of sea salt.

Bok choy is great in miso soup with some shiitakes.

maya
Sep 2nd, 2005, 03:10 PM
Leeks-Saute leeks and fennel. Garnish with fresh lemon juice and thyme.
Turnip greens-saute with sweet potatoes and tofu and serve with couscous.
Collard greens -Serve steamed collard greens with black-eyed peas and brown rice.

Artichoke47
Sep 2nd, 2005, 03:12 PM
Kale, collard greens, and bok choy with onion rings (real ones, not battered and deep-fried, people! :p) and ground coriander and cumin is the best!

FR
Sep 2nd, 2005, 03:26 PM
Raw broccoli dipped in hummus, yum!

I just had a bowl of sautéed baby spinach leaves, onion, chick peas, served over brown rice seasoned with spike and Bragg's liquid aminios.

kokopelli
Sep 4th, 2005, 12:10 PM
I agree kale is lovely!
I'm going to try some of the ways people here use it, because I've always just steamed it as a vegetable. It's nice if there's some left over next day stir-fried with a little sprinkle of soya sauce.

Foxytina, it's REALLY EASY to grow all sorts of lovely greens, like giant red mustard, rocket, land cress, mizuna and baby lettuce, endive and spinach.

They grow really fast and you can eat them fresh-picked in sandwiches, salads, pittas etc. You can even grow them in pots or boxes of compost if you haven't got a garden. You can get packets of the individual varieties, but seed companies here also do mixed packets of 'oriental greens' or 'cut and come again salads'.

I particularly like red mustard and rocket and it's really nice to be able to just pick some fresh whenever you want some. They're both quite hot and spicy and best eaten raw.

Yeah, and when you grow them yourself, you also get to eat the flowers, which are very tasty! I like red mustard, fennel and parsley flowers. I feel sure that flowers must have some very good stuff in them, nutritionally :)

abrennan
Sep 4th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Raw broccoli dipped in hummus, yum!

I just had a bowl of sautéed baby spinach leaves, onion, chick peas, served over brown rice seasoned with spike and Bragg's liquid aminios.

Oh Yeah!!

eve
Sep 5th, 2005, 08:09 AM
How about red cabbage - I know, it's not green, but it is lovely when shredded finely and braised with onion, garlic, grated apple, some apple juice, and some raisins. :) PS: It's a good source of folate.

abrennan
Sep 5th, 2005, 09:37 AM
How about red cabbage - I know, it's not green, but it is lovely when shredded finely and braised with onion, garlic, grated apple, some apple juice, and some raisins. :) PS: It's a good source of folate.

MMM not bad

We used to make a salad from green cabbage sliced fine as you can mixed with green spinach sliced fine as you can with almonds sliced fine as you can and some dressing of your choice. Lovley.:D

Antony sliced as fine as you can

Monkey Wild
Sep 5th, 2005, 05:39 PM
I love kale. I sear it with onions, garlic, and a seasoning product called Spike. I also use it in place of lettuce on veggie sandwiches... example, a sandwich made of whole wheat bread, hummus, kale, tomato, and onion, mmmmmmm! Oh yeah, it is also nice in a whole grain pasta/nutritional yeast based cheese bake with tomatoes and black olives.

Damn, you sure know what to do with your kale!

However, wtf is a "nutritional yeast based cheese bake"? :eek: :confused: :p :eek: :confused: :p Please do tell!

:)

Mystic
Sep 5th, 2005, 11:28 PM
wtf is kale?

I have bought kale at the South Melbourne Market before, and I have seen it at various organic outlets. However I have also seen it in conventional green grocers, but only as decoration :confused:

I like kale, but I also love broccoli, bok choy, choy sum and all those Asian green leafy vegetables. I like it as stir fry or even just steamed with sesame oil and soy sauce. Parsley, although it is not a lettuce or "green leafy" - is great with hummus, tahini, chickpeas, or anything really and it is sooooo good for you. I have it as much as possible.

Kiva Dancer
Sep 6th, 2005, 01:17 AM
I like to use them in anything I can from scrambles to soups to.... everything. If I'm using frozen, it's really easy to just grab a handfull and toss it into whatever. If I've got fresh, I'll slightly wilt them with a bit of garlic, lemon and olive oil and eat them just like that.

assilembob
Sep 6th, 2005, 02:19 AM
Kale - I do this with mushrooms, potatos and garlic...
basically - Cube and boil 1 cup potatos (red are my favorite for this recipe), sautee 3 cloves of garlic and about 1/2 c. mushrooms (any kind but I like portabellas) until the mushrooms start to release juice. Then add as much chopped kale as you want. I use a whole bunch. Braise it slightly until it begins to brighten in color. Add about 1/2 cup veggie broth or water, add in cooked potatos. Cover and allow to simmer about 2-4 minutes until the Kale becomes very bright. Add some fresh ground pepper and you're ready to go!
I usually serve with steamed broccoli and carrots and maybe some corn. Sometimes I add tofu.

~Mel

FR
Sep 6th, 2005, 03:26 AM
Damn, you sure know what to do with your kale!

However, wtf is a "nutritional yeast based cheese bake"? :eek: :confused: :p :eek: :confused: :p Please do tell!

:)

It is when you take boiled whole grain pasta, diced tomatoes, veggies like black olives, kale, broccoli, and a "cheezy sauce" (made from nutritional yeast, many recipes floating around the board for it), and bake the items in a baking dish... yum!

Roxy
Sep 6th, 2005, 03:40 AM
Baby Spinach leaves are lovely on sandwiches. I also love green beans when they are fresh and crispy!

I tried Dandelion Greens once. I found them very bitter and couldn't even finish what I'd cooked.

abrennan
Sep 6th, 2005, 11:24 AM
for lunch today I had steamed green beans and Gia Lan (it's chinese broccoli to some) with rice. verry nice...

antony green:D

Tigerlily
Sep 6th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Roxy how did you eat them?

Monkey Wild
Sep 6th, 2005, 11:28 PM
It is when you take boiled whole grain pasta, diced tomatoes, veggies like black olives, kale, broccoli, and a "cheezy sauce" (made from nutritional yeast, many recipes floating around the board for it), and bake the items in a baking dish... yum!

Thank you, FR. It sounds delectable!

rantipole
Sep 12th, 2005, 04:22 AM
Kale is wonderful. I use it just like spinach.
Collards are good. I like them steamed with salt and white vinegar
Bok choy is excellent in a stir fry, both the greens and the white stems
Asparagus rules. I sitr fry it with mushrooms, plenty of garlic, soy sauce, lemon juice and a bit of turmeric. I've done the same with bok choy, too.
Spinach can be added to tomato sauce. Try it!

I've found that any green is excellent if you steam it and put Annie's Naturals Goddess Dressing on it. It is possibly my favorite way to eat leafy greens. The best one to do this with is broccoli rabe (aka rapini).

Oh, and I like to saute cactus pads to add to fajitas and burritos. They are chewy and kinda sour. Supposedly, they are one of the best sources of calcium.

Cheers,
rant

FR
Sep 12th, 2005, 05:14 AM
Annie's Naturals Goddess Dressing

;)

That stuff is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!

eve
Sep 12th, 2005, 08:16 AM
I quite like the green leaves of beetroot, juiced with a fresh beet, carrot, celery, and an apple. And I must try the fresh broccoli dipped in homas suggested by FR.

Something about greens in general - last week the optometrist took photos of the back of my eyes to examine the blood vessels, and the pics came up large on his computer screen. He pointed out one blood vessel that had 'kinks' in it, and he commented it was a worry. Apparently it is a lifetime build-up of sugar (though I rarely take sugar and certainly don 't eat cakes, biscuits, desserts etc, but did some years ago).

He said that just like when there are kinks in the garden hose, there could be a time when you turn on the tap and nothing comes out because of the blockage. When I asked what can be done about it - he said to eat plenty of greens, in particular cruciates like broccoli, and to make my diet mainly veges and fruit! He also suggested some fish oil. I told him that I'm a vegan, and he said "even better - take a dessertspoon of flax seed oil". I already do that, so hopefully there won't be any fall out from the kinks in the blood vessel!