PDA

View Full Version : Favourite vegan sandwich filling / bread spread?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16

nervine
Oct 13th, 2006, 12:26 PM
a bar of dark chocolate :cool:

Windfall
Oct 13th, 2006, 01:11 PM
a bar of dark chocolate :cool:

:eek: thatīs just..BAD! but in a good way! ;)

nervine
Oct 14th, 2006, 03:50 PM
It was quite thin.. and organic.. ;) I think I'm gonna melt it next time. :p

indianvegan
Oct 14th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Green Banana(unriped)/Plaintain Spicy Paste

First boil them in water or better cook in a Pressure Cooker ( very little water required in this). After cooking, peeling and meshing required. Now season mashed stuff in a pan in very little oil, heat the oil in a Pan, when you find smoke coming out, pour some mustard seeds and cummin seeds now add mashed banana(plaintain) stir it, add little sea salt and red salt & lemon juice. You can add black pepper if you like to make it spicy.

One can add grated capsicum(bell paper) and tomatoes too in the above paste.

Manish Jain

Roxy
Oct 15th, 2006, 05:15 AM
Mmmm that sounds good Manish. Are you supposed to eat it warm or cold and will it keep in the fridge if you don't eat it all at once?

indianvegan
Oct 15th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Yes, one can preserve left over stuff and use it subsequently. It is good filling for Samosa/Patties/Sandwiches/Paratha. It can be eat warm or kept at room temperature.

emmydu
Feb 14th, 2007, 10:26 AM
peanut butter! either alone or with vegan "fluff", jam (gelatin free of course), chocolate, bananas, or apples. if you count hummus and pita as a sandwich, then that too! but i am known to just eat hummus out of the container with my finger...

Purple
Feb 14th, 2007, 11:17 AM
This has probably been said :)

Wholemeal pita bread, stuffed with lettuce, sliced tomatoes, some falafel (waitrose are good, otherwise cauldron falafel bites are the same but smaller), some houmous.

Great lunch :)

Anyone tried soya yoghurt with falafels? I notice some of the falafels in shops come with dairy yoghurt :(

Enchantress
Feb 14th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Ripe avocado with Plamil mayonnaise on brown bread *drools*.

Gorilla
Feb 14th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Try sprouted rye bread with 'Pure' spread and raisins. :eek: :cool:

i missed this post originally... i don't like rye bread. i find it bitter and soooo dry, no matter what i eat it with. it also always falls apart if you try to make a sandwich with it.

i don't mind spelt bread, which looks similar to rye bread but is much sweeter - but therefore i only eat it with sweet toppings otherwise the sweetness overpowers savoury flavours. it's still useless for making sandwiches!

i still haven't found any decent wheat-free bread, i've given up now and eat wheat sometimes, i probably shouldn't but i like it too much :o

my favourite sandwich at the moment is probably houmous and cucumber

Jjt
May 13th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Usually I make my sandwhich with:

toasted bread ( I really like light rye or spelt)
vegainaise
dijon mustard
smoked tomato slice ( http://www.fieldroast.com )
thinly sliced tomato
thinly sliced red onion
alfalfa sprouts
half an avacado

My other sandwhich topping/ spread I really like is this miso tahini spread. I got the recipe off of a westbrae brown miso tub. It's really tasty, and I'm sure i could make it again without the recipe. I think it's about:

2 tablespoons miso
2-3 Tablespoons tahini
1/2 cup brown rice syrup.

When you mix it together, it solidifies iton this really smooth shiny paste and then you spread it onto your bread and toast it and then it melts a little and gets a little crispy on top and its really tasty. If you try this, just add the ingredients and taste it as you go. I would start with the brown rice syrup and add the other ingredients by the teaspoon until it tastes good.

Haniska
May 15th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Right now I am eating a wrap filled with baked potato, cheddar chreese (cheddar flavor not recommended) and delhi saag (mustard greens with spinach).

Earlier I planned on having it with some chicken tenders but left my wraps at home.

I have also been stuffing my wraps with madras sambar (lentil with vegetables)which is DE freakin licious and fresh spinach.

coy division
Aug 6th, 2007, 05:06 AM
MMM Ezekiel sprouted wheat bread with raw walnut butter, sliced apples, maple syrup, and sprinkled w cinnamon.

I also love the sprouted bread with mashed avocados, broccoli sprouts, heirloom tomato slices, and greek olives with a little bit of sesame tahini drizzled over the tomatoes

nervine
Aug 6th, 2007, 03:21 PM
i found a little shop that sold vegan whipped cream, tastes good on bread and donuts :p

Guacamole Gal
Aug 8th, 2007, 04:27 PM
My top two fave spreads are:

The ol' faithful - VEGEMIIIIIIITE!!:D

The spread which Greenspecs made for Cumin&RedWellies housewarming and recipe subsequently shared..I've been making it pretty much every week since!! Yuuuuuummmmm!!!!:D:)

*Thinks about making some tonight as having withdrawal cravings*

veganlinda
Aug 8th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Ripe avocado with Plamil mayonnaise on brown bread *drools*.

My fave too :D

vegcurry
Aug 14th, 2007, 10:28 PM
A few of my faves...
Cold mushy peas and brown sauce.
Hummus and sweet chilli sauce.
Fried onions and ketchup.

missbettie
Aug 14th, 2007, 10:46 PM
so simple but so good.

Bread, veganaise, sliced tomatoe, raw onion.

My favorite thing in the whole world.

Eclectic Nature
Aug 15th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Your's is very close to mine!
Bread, lettuce, tomato, onion and lots of spicy mustard!
ahh, heaven! :D

Spud Addict
Aug 15th, 2007, 04:21 AM
This week my fave is lashings of extra crunchy peanut butter with a little sliver of raspberry jam. :)

beanstew
Aug 15th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Wholemeal organic baguette with:
grated carrot
chopped tomato
chestnut mushrooms
lashings of chopped onion (for keeping the omnis at work at a respectful distance :p)
hummus
black pepperThat's lunch most days.

Cup'O'Tea
Aug 28th, 2007, 06:35 PM
My favourite lunch is a pita filled with tomatoes, mushrooms, cucumber, black olives, dill pickles, onions, green peppers, lettuce, chickpeas and GARLIC HUMMUS.
I am addicted to the stuff, it's ridiculous.

xrodolfox
Aug 28th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Toasted WW Pita w/

Tofu + Hummus + tomatoes + salt + Veganaise + Fresh basil = pleasure on the tastebuds

Dragonfly
Aug 29th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Hummus is an amazing sandwich filler. Top it off with some veggies, and it's great.

Zuchinni and pepper sandwiches are very good. I usually just marinate them in a little basalmic vinegar dressing, then cook them and put it on a roll. It's really good.

I always toast my bread too.

Mystic
Aug 29th, 2007, 07:40 PM
AVOCADO (with tomato and mixed green leaves). The avocado must be thick and chunky if possible.

I like hulled tahini in a pita bread as well, but otherwise it is avo all the way! I don't know if toast is counted but I love citrus marmalades too on toast.