PDA

View Full Version : Favourite vegan sandwich filling / bread spread?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

tabitha
Mar 8th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Im not mad crazy on fake cheese either, but in my meat eating days cheese was my "thing", so I suppose I need the fix. I have to disguise it very well. I love coriander at the moment.

Tiggerwoo
Mar 8th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Has anyone ever tried rice cheese slices, they're not too bad, but you need something else in the sandwich to spice it up.

sugarmouse
Mar 8th, 2006, 08:27 PM
they sell them in my local health food shop, but these have dairy in them....seems bit of a contradiciton to me that! but they do.:(i did try them once before i realised, and yes i liked them...grr...lol

Roxy
Mar 8th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Yes the rice cheese slices here have that casein milk protein in them:(

speedylemons
Mar 9th, 2006, 12:45 AM
I've found one brand of truly vegan cheese.. and i believe it was called "vegan cheese".. it was rrealllly good.. but other than that brand [which of course, just HAS to be on the other side of town now that i am car-less :(] all the other faux cheese i've come across either have casein in them or lactic acid. Thumbs down!

laurin
Mar 10th, 2006, 10:31 PM
I like making tofurky sandwitches and putting alot of acocado in it.

herbwormwood
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:49 AM
now that i am car-less :(]

Being car-less (or car-free) is one of the best things we can do to help save our beautiful planet and get and keep ourselves fit. It is also more sociable as we are not cocooned in our little (or not so little in some cases) metal boxes. Also fewer small creatures killed on the windscreen and under the tyres.
Anyyne else without our own car other than me and TAB? Can we have a separate thread on our transport styles?

sugarmouse
Mar 11th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Anyyne else without our own car other than me and TAB? Can we have a separate thread on our transport styles?[/QUOTE]

i dont hav a car never have...well idont possess a licsence..lol (sic)

Roxy
Mar 11th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Can we have a separate thread on our transport styles?

There is one already. From memory, it's called "What kind of car do you drive (if any)" or something like that.

Cairidh
Mar 24th, 2006, 11:10 PM
banana!!

fortunately that has always been my favourite as its the only sandwich from my meateating days that is vegan (egg mayo, tuna mayo, chicken and stuffing)

favourite vegan fillings: fake chicken fillets
also good - fake sausages, burgers, beanie burgers, mexican bean burgers, falafel and hommous (cant remember how you spell hommous!)

herbwormwood
Mar 25th, 2006, 10:36 AM
(cant remember how you spell hommous!)

I think there are various spellings as it is an arabic word meaning chick peas, translations of foriegn words into english often have more than one spelling.
http://www.cliffordawright.com/recipes/hummus.html
has good background on the word hummus as westerners use it (plus a recipe).

veganwitch
Apr 11th, 2006, 12:00 AM
This avocado reuben is a favorite with me and my husband:

Take two slices of firm bread ( I like to use either italian or whole wheat).

Spread one side of each piece of bread with earth balance. Spread inside of one piece with mustard (either regular yellow or spicy brown works well). Spread inside of other piece of bread with 1000 island dressing (I use Nasoya).

Layer side that has mustard on it with sauerkraut that is well drained.

Layer side that has 1000 island dressing on it with mashed avocado.

Place pieces of bread together (earth balance sides out) and grill them in a frying pan.

This can be pretty messy to eat but it is delicious!

treehugga
Apr 14th, 2006, 09:01 AM
I know it's not healthy but you can't beat hot homemade chips/fries on a buttered roll with salt and vinegar. ummmmmmmmmm :)

herbwormwood
Apr 14th, 2006, 04:17 PM
= chip butty.
popular item sold in in Northern chip shops (UK)

Ara
Apr 17th, 2006, 08:58 PM
I've recently become addicted to eating brown bread, hummous, sliced carrot, red pepper and cucumber with grated Scheese (cheddar and chive flavour) mmmm it's so good, it's been my lunch for the past few days and i'm off down the shop to get more hummous tomorrow!

speedylemons
Apr 18th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Peanut butter & Kiwi sandwhiches are awesome. I've added banana before too and that is equally awesome.

lozza
May 4th, 2006, 05:30 PM
i have a new favorite. at work, they sell GORGEOUS sundried tomato humous, so i slap some of that on brown bread, then put on real sundried tomatoes (in some kind of oil & everything, mmm) then put a good bit of red onions & finally lettuce. bit of salt & pepper. lovely.

i sometimes like it toasted, but very rarely cos we grill bacon & sausage on our sandwhich toaster machine.

Xenius13
May 4th, 2006, 05:35 PM
I like to blend ripe avocados with lemon juice and salt then use it as a spread for tomato sandwiches. Of course, I use Ezekiel 4:9 bread for my tomato sandwiches.

poppy seed
May 4th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Ohhhhhhhhh!

And, oh, how I wish I had read through this thread before lunch - you all have great ideas!

I'm on an avocado, mayo (veganaise), tomato, black pepper, sprouts and raw spinch on whole wheat pita kick. But also love hummus.....(it's why I haven't lost any lbs since become vegan nearly a year ago!)

lozza
May 4th, 2006, 07:58 PM
what? does hummus make you fat?

eclectic_one
May 4th, 2006, 10:37 PM
I was eating hummus and guacamole sandwiches for a while...that was yummy:) [I think maybe poppy seed was saying the avocado kept her from losing weight as they have a lot of fat--though they help with cholesterol:)]

feral
May 4th, 2006, 10:48 PM
I got some organic lettuce seeds this week which I must sow out soon, they're really easy to grow in hanging baskets, keeps the slugs off. Hoping to eat lots of summer salads to reduce my ever expanding butt. My herb pot (strawberry pot) is coming back to life, the mint has taken over, I must think of a way to use it this year, think I'll try drying or freezing it... wonder if it'd would be good in a tortilla wrap with hummus & shredded carrot... hmmm must try that soon.

Lex
May 5th, 2006, 12:08 AM
i have a new favorite. at work, they sell GORGEOUS sundried tomato humous, so i slap some of that on brown bread, then put on real sundried tomatoes (in some kind of oil & everything, mmm) then put a good bit of red onions & finally lettuce. bit of salt & pepper. lovely.

Oh yeah! Sundried tomatoes + hummus = a perfect combo.

I’ve just realised I’ve been reading loads of food threads tonight. But why not? I do love my food! :D

ravenfire
May 6th, 2006, 01:19 AM
I love whole wheat pitas filled with sun dried tomato & basil hummus and radish sprouts.

The hummus and sprouts are also good on cibatta (sp?) bread with fresh sliced tomatoes and spicy brown mustard.

Haniska
May 6th, 2006, 02:29 AM
Today I had a peanut butter/shredded organic carroty/raisin/cinnamon/brown bread sandwich.To be honest actually I was out of raisins so I used veganmallow instead, which was not nearly as good =(
I also sometimes make morningstar chickenstyle tenders with barbeque and cooked greens in a sandwich. That is very yummy =)