PDA

View Full Version : Favourite vegan sandwich filling / bread spread?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Cloudy
May 11th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Anyone got any favourites? Think I may have started this thread back on the old forum .. can't remember now. I'm currently doing one of my faves:

Marmite
Onion
Sweetcorn
Tomato

Anyone else got a good one?

mattd
May 11th, 2004, 08:21 PM
I like to "toast" tofurkey sandwiches with veganaise and tofutti american cheese on my indoor electric grill.

foxytina_69
May 13th, 2004, 08:27 AM
i used to make grilled cheese sandwiches with vegan cheese and sundried tomatos. they were so good i ate six in one day once! (then i realized they were made with oats therefor i cant eat vegan cheese anymore. allergic to gluten)

webster
May 13th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Marmite
Onion
Sweetcorn
Tomato

At the risk of sounding very daft, how do you make a toasted sandwich? It is just something that I have never made, so am not very familiar with. Your ingredients sound quite tasty, and maybe this is a whole new thing that I need to try.

froggy_girl
May 13th, 2004, 05:40 PM
my fave is onion cheezly cheese and the vegan bacon from holland and barett mmmmmm

Cloudy
May 13th, 2004, 07:34 PM
At the risk of sounding very daft, how do you make a toasted sandwich? It is just something that I have never made, so am not very familiar with. Your ingredients sound quite tasty, and maybe this is a whole new thing that I need to try.

You can buy a sandwich toaster, just "butter" the outsides of the bread so it doesn't stick, fill it with your favourite delights, then toast it for about 5 minutes or so. Think they're about £20 over here

Great for snacks with a cuppa :)

Cloudy
May 13th, 2004, 07:34 PM
my fave is onion cheezly cheese and the vegan bacon from holland and barett mmmmmm

That's the spirit! Cheers for that, will try it out soon.

cedarblue
May 13th, 2004, 08:38 PM
i know this sounds weird but i like sliced banana and grated plain choc (or whole cubes if i'm feeling yukky) - dont knock it till you've tried it! :p

harpy
May 14th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Not sure if it would work in a toasted sandwich maker but roughly mashed avocado on toast with a splash of lemon and/or Tabasco is delicious. Tomato and sprouted seeds are a good addition although the sprouts would presumably go limp if toasted :)

Cloudy
Jul 17th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Vegan cheese and dill picallili
Fake ham and mustard
Humous and avacado
Peanut butter and lettuce
Vegetarian pate and tomato
Onion bhaji and lime pickle
Nut roast and cranberry sauce
Veggie bacon, tomato, basil and HP sauce

Mystic
Jul 18th, 2004, 01:16 AM
Roasted/chargrilled eggplant in olive oil is also yummy with avocado and tomato!!!!

foxytina_69
Jul 18th, 2004, 02:27 AM
lately for me its bin:

tomato, red onion, butter lettuce, vegan cream cheese, pepper and sea salt and sweet relish.

eve
Jul 18th, 2004, 04:43 AM
thick avocado, thin spread of marmite, vegan cheese, tomato.

Sabster
Jul 18th, 2004, 01:08 PM
I like making this one (but due to laziness I don't do it often):

Tomato, Onion, Cucumber, Romaine Lettuce/or mixed Greens, babaganoush (eggplant dip)/also works well w hummus, salt, and pepper, and a sprinkle of olive oil doesn't hurt... all wrapped in pita bread.

More often:
Almond Butter
Almond Butter w. raspberry jam (or another berry jam)
Natural Peanut Butter w fruit jam (preferably raspberry)

I will make plain hummus or eggplant dip sandwiches... but personally I like dipping into the dips more than eating them as a filling alone.. it always feels like I'm eating more than I should...

gertvegan
Jul 18th, 2004, 05:58 PM
I'm into anything with avocado hummous and or anything with mushroom tofu.

gertvegan
Jul 18th, 2004, 07:54 PM
From the uk Vegan Society,50 sandwich suggestions with something for everyone to enjoy:

1. Korma Have a Go! - smoked tofu or vegan "chicken" and vegetable korma
(in curried egg-free dairy-free mayonnaise) with crispy lettuce.
2. Blokes BLT - vegan "gammon" steak, lettuce and tomato, thick bread.
3. Wee Willy Winkie - vegan sausages with HP sauce and lettuce.
4. Just Philly? - dairy-free cream cheese with red peppers, garlic and celery.
5. Scrambled Meg - scrambled tofu, cauliflower and mashed sweet-corn, parsley, dairy/egg-free mayo and nutmeg with cress.
6. Peanut Buttie - organic fair trade peanut butter with dairy-free coleslaw, bean-sprouts and lettuce
7. Funny Bone - olive hummus, red onion and salad on posh bread.
8. Cocktail Cob - sweet corn, strips of smoked baked tofu in "prawn-less" cocktail sauce, nori seaweed flakes with lettuce, lemon and capers.
9. Peanut Butter and Jelly - organic peanut butter and organic no-sugar jam.
10. Ploughman - vegan cheddar Cheezly, pickle, radishes and lettuce.
11. Fungi Filler – wild mushroom and tarragon pate with gherkins and red onion.
12. Moscow Munch - vegan "caviar" and salad with egg-free mayo.
13. Med Veg - Roasted Mediterranean vegetables and hummus on sun-dried tomato bread.
14. Bagpipe Bun – vegan haggis, Piccalilli and salad 15. Posh Chip Buttie - roasted rosemary and sesame seed potatoes with watercress.
16. Borscht Buttie – pickled beetroot, caraway, hummus and lettuce
17. My Mate - yeast extract, soft dairy-free cream cheese and slithers of Granny Smith apple.
18. Sehr Gutenburger - cashew nut burger with sauerkraut.
19. Cinderella surprise – grated carrot, red peppers, red onions, zest of orange with toasted pumpkin and coriander seeds, raisins and chilli
20. Dolphin Friendly Salad – (frozen) flaked smoked tofu, vegan tomato pesto, spring onions, vegan mayo and salad.
21. Tapenade Tantalizer - olive pate with dairy-free cream cheese and salad.
22. Cold Dog - vegan frankfurters, sauerkraut, tomato sauce, mustard and onions.
23. Miso You Madly – miso, walnuts or beansprouts and crisp salad.
24. Devil's Delight - ginger marinated seitan with chilli and beansprouts.
25. Mock Duck - mock duck or crispy smoked tofu with black bean sauce, spring onion, shredded Chinese leaves and beansprouts.
26. For Alfalfa's Sake - alfalfa and red roasted pepper hummus.
27. Tikka Bite o' This- vegan "chicken" marinated in Tikka sauce, vegan mayo and salad.
28. Bloody Mary - tomatoes, black pepper, sun-dried tomato paste on olive ciabatta.
29. Monster Munch - nut loaf, salad and pickle.
30. Dhal Delight - lentil, garlic and lime pate with red onion and mango chutney.
31. Tzatziki Tingler – cucumber, vegan yoghurt, tahini, mint, garlic with watercress.
32. Kentucky Fried Wicken - crisp-baked Wicken Fen sausages with salad.
33. Club sandwich - vegan nacho cheese, red peppers, onions, olives, sun-dried tomato paste, oregano, vegan pepperoni.
34. Chocoholic - organic fair-trade hazelnut and chocolate spread with bananas.
35. Wimbledon - vegan dairy-free cream cheese and freeze-dried strawberries or sugar-free strawberry jam.
36. Totally Tropical - vegan cream cheese with dried apricots, pineapple and sunflower seeds.
37. Wonderful Waldorf - vegan mayo, apple, celery, walnuts and sultanas.
38. Frittering Fancy - corn and smoky snap fritter with salad in a buttie.
39. Moussaka Me Gently - roasted aubergine, garlic, creamed potato, nutmeg, sun-dried tomato paste, grated vegan "cheese" and vegan mayo.
40. Bubble 'n Squeak – pickled red cabbage, onion, shredded green cabbage, crushed black pepper, low-sodium salt, tahini, toasted sesame seeds, yeast extract, shredded baked potato and vegan mayo.
41. Bounty Hunter - creamed coconut, toasted nori seaweed, beansprouts, fresh coriander and lime.
42. Mole in the Hole - guacamole with smoked garlic, sliced baked vegan sausages and lollo rosso.
43. Falafeling About – sliced falafel with onions, chilli sauce and shredded cabbage.
44. Swedish Cobbler– vegan Swedish-style "meatballs" with pickle and salad. (Ikea - are you listening?)
45. Sunday Roast – “Cheatin beef", horseradish, alfalfa and red onion.
46. Popeye Picnic - roasted perpetual spinach, garlic, vegan mayo, low-sodium salt and crushed black pepper
47. Spotted Dick - vegan cream cheese with raisins and sultanas
48. Salsa Switch - red kidney beans, sweetcorn, jalapeno chilli, tomato paste, onion, gherkins.
49. Squish and Chips – fishless fingers and chips with vegan mayo and lettuce.
50. Hot Pot - hemp seed pate or hemp pesto with onions, alfalfa, Jamaican hot pepper sauce and cucumber.

cast_the_flames
Jul 20th, 2004, 05:16 AM
cucumber, tomatoes, avacado, lettuce, miso mayo. very tasty. or sometimes i'll make myself a vegan meatball sub.

Michelle
Jul 21st, 2004, 04:18 AM
My favorite natural sandwich filling is tomato and cracked black pepper

My favorite meat-free substitute whatever sandwich is Veat breast with pickle relish and eggless mayo and....tomato!!

I lurve tomatoes :)

SilverBird
Jul 25th, 2004, 11:14 AM
To name but a few ...

Yeast Pate ... Original or Herbs
Tofutti's Garlic & Herbs Spread
Any of the above with salad
Yeast extract (love Marmite but it's a Unilever brand so don't buy now)
Veggie Burgers or Bangers (sausages) with loads of gently fried onions and some homemade mustard
As above with the addition of some fried tomatoes and/or mushrooms
Left-over Veggie Burgers or Bangers with mustard or cranberry sauce
Left-over Veggie Burgers or Bangers with salad
Portobello mushrooms (the big flat ones) cooked with a drizzle of olive oil, loads of garlic and a good grating of black pepper, with the bread dipped in the juices
Banana
Left-over Chestnut Bake/Loaf with cranberry sauce or salad
Big, fat, juicy homemade chips (fries)
Falafel with salad in a sesame pitta bread (make sauce with soya yog & garlic, herbs, spices to taste)
Onion bhaji with salad in a pitta bread (with sauce as above)
Enjoy :)

slinkyvagabond
Jul 26th, 2004, 11:05 AM
My current favorite: toasted wheat bread, 2 slices crispy fake bacon, sautéed baby portabello mushrooms, and a slice of melted soy mozzarella. *drool* If only I had all the fixins right now.

winbox
Jul 26th, 2004, 12:21 PM
I live on Long Island. Never heard of it. Can it be bought on line??

basteq
Aug 19th, 2004, 11:23 PM
i like some PATE (http://vegweb.com/food/misc/vegan-pate.shtml)

AND

MAYO (http://vegweb.com/food/misc/6092.shtml) with garlic slices on top.

Fruitbat
Aug 21st, 2004, 06:30 PM
Being the health-fanatic that I am I do not eat any sandwiches except for tomato and avocado OR salad sandwichs as other types of sandwiches are disrecommended for digestive and complimentary issues according to several nurition books I have read.

Occasianlly I am naughty and have pita breads with hummus and salad or roast courgette cherry tomatoes and mushrooms; or same with yeast spread and tahini; or salad and bean salad with yeast spread; or falafel mayo and grated courgette broccoli and carrot (all raw).

~*Blue*~
Sep 3rd, 2004, 08:11 AM
my favorite is hummus with anything. hummus with vegetables in a sandwhich or hummus with a veggie burger on top...or almond butter with blueberries (this is my version of pb and j sandwhiches b/c i don't like jam/jelly).

uww27225
Sep 3rd, 2004, 02:10 PM
Right now my favorite is grilled vidalia onions, red peppers, green peppers, and mushrooms wrapped in a tortilla w/ a little vinagrette dressing. So I guess it's not really a sandwich but a wrap... :p