PDA

View Full Version : Asian Food

eve
Sep 8th, 2005, 07:56 AM
There's an interesting article in the E-Magazine, and this is one section:
The Miracle Bean - One of the most fascinating elements of the traditional Asian diet is the nutritious benefit of one little bean. Soybeans have sustained Eastern populations for thousands of years. And it’s no wonder! This little legume is packed with protein, fats, fiber and carbohydrates. Dr. Stephen Holt writes in Soya: For Health (Mary Ann Liebert, Inc. 1996), “In China, Japan and adjacent Asian communities, soy is a dietary staple. Epidemiological and scientific studies provide overwhelming evidence that soy consumption plays a major role in the lower incidence of breast, prostate and colon cancer in Asian countries.”

Soy has estrogen-like properties, which may explain how it works in cancer prevention. Stowell suggests using soy to help ease the symptoms of menopause in women instead of risking the problems associated with estrogen therapy.

Soybeans can be eaten in several forms, from a milk substitute to tofu. Tofu is made from the “milk” of soybeans and has the ability to pick up the flavor of the dish it’s being cooked with. Miso is fermented soybean paste that is made into a popular soup in Japan. Miso may be good for smokers, since it is thought to have a cleansing ability on the body and is believed to protect against nicotine. If you’re suffering from a nasty hangover, you might want to try miso, which can readily replenish your body with lost vitamins and minerals.

Some critics argue that large amounts of soy in the diet can be harmful (see “Sorting Out Soy,” Eating Right, July/August 2002). But Holt writes, “Soy-based diets are safe and provide powerful health benefits.” Also, 80 percent of US soybeans are genetically engineered [this is why some of us down under avoid US soybeans]. Currently, researchers are not sure how much soy is too much.
The full article is at http://www.emagazine.com/view/?2857

screamingcarrot
Sep 10th, 2005, 01:34 PM
interesting article..though they say soy can lower sperm counts in men.

i lived in japan and ate miso and tofu every day. i even tried natto, a sticky fermented bean dish but it made me gag!

:D

cedarblue
Sep 10th, 2005, 01:42 PM
i even tried natto, a sticky fermented bean dish but it made me gag!

strangely enough i heard this mentioned on the radio, isnt it a favourite at breakfast time?
- apparently smells/tastes like puke :eek: ?

abrennan
Sep 11th, 2005, 12:09 AM
mmmmm nato miso

nice as a condiment

Gliondrach
Sep 11th, 2005, 12:23 AM
interesting article..though they say soy can lower sperm counts in men.

i lived in japan and ate miso and tofu every day. i even tried natto, a sticky fermented bean dish but it made me gag!

I don't believe it lowers sperm counts in men (or in women :D ). China wouldn't have such a large population if it did.

xwitchymagicx
Sep 17th, 2005, 03:12 AM
I don't believe it lowers sperm counts in men (or in women :D ). China wouldn't have such a large population if it did.

Lol very true