PDA

View Full Version : Spirulina

Zanahorias!
Sep 12th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Does anyone know where to get spirulina that doesn't have an astronomical price? All that I have found is priceed at roughly $40/ lb.

Roxy
Sep 14th, 2005, 07:34 AM
I don't know where you can get it at an inexpensive price, sorry.

I tried spirulina a couple of times and I'm afraid I just can't stomach it. Blech. :o

eve
Sep 14th, 2005, 08:08 AM
me neither - there are always spirulina tablets, but surely the benefits of spirulina are obtainable from other veges?

Kiva Dancer
Sep 14th, 2005, 08:00 PM
I think that's probably about the best price you're going to find. I tried googling for spirulina and almost fell out of my chair over the prices! :eek:

Michael Benis
Sep 15th, 2005, 12:34 AM
I think that's probably about the best price you're going to find. I tried googling for spirulina and almost fell out of my chair over the prices! :eek:

I'd save your money and not buy it all. The B12 analogues in it can mess with your B12 absorption and there's nothing particularly brilliant in it you can't get in abundant quantities from any number of fresh, raw foods.

Cheers

Mike

insubordination
May 27th, 2006, 07:38 AM
I just bought a jar of spirulina at a 30% off closing down sale 2 days ago. I've always been curious to try it but wasn't sure.

Tastes OK considering what it is. Does anyone have any positive or negative experiences with it?

Also, does anyone know anything about noni (fruit) juice?

puca
Apr 17th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I spent around £15 for a tub of spirulina from a local health food shop. It lasts along time, but looks like kid's paint.

Love to whack a teaspoon in to add some goodness to a green smoothie!:thumbsup:

jimmeh
Apr 17th, 2009, 04:50 PM
What does it taste like? Is it fishy or kinda mouldy?

CrunchyMomma
Apr 25th, 2009, 11:28 PM
What does it taste like? Is it fishy or kinda mouldy?

People always say, "ahhhh spirulina tastes like nori". Maybe my taste buds are whack, but I don't think it tastes anything like nori. I love nori and could eat it by itself all day long. Spirulina? Not so much. I had one of those "complete" juices one time and spirulina was the main ingredient. To me it tasted like what it would taste like to lick sludge off the bottom of a river. It kind of reminded me of times when I was a kid and would play in stagnant ponds like a moron and some of the nasty water would get in my mouth.

To me, spirulina is one of those fad "miracle" foods that they charge a ridiculous amount of money for and I could get the same nutrients from much better tasting (and less costly) fresh foods. You also have to be really careful about the source of the spirulina. Contamination is a huge concern with spirulina, so you have to buy from companies where it is pretty much cultivated in a special environment (such as a special lab type "farm" where it is completely sanitary to prevent fungal and bacterial contamination).

Also bear in mind that a lot of the health benefits that have supposedly been discovered were tested on animals, such as how it helps people undergoing chemotherapy or have heart disease and also as a weight loss supplement.

ShariBlackVelvet
Mar 17th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I just got a container of Spirulina & Chlorella. Was curious to see what others thought and whether it did any good...

I've added it to some flavoured vitamin water and it tastes ok. The smell puts me off a bit so I hold my nose when I take a drink! lol.

I'm curious to know if anyone who has taken it for a while has noticed any benefits.

Daffodil
Mar 17th, 2010, 04:35 PM
OMG it's gross! i used to put it in smoothies but you had to use such a tiny amount to not spoil the flavour (and it turns it green and it looks horrible) so now i buy it in tablet form instead...that and chrollera (cant' spell it) another algae.

Blueberries
Mar 18th, 2010, 08:34 PM
I bought a relatively cheap dried 'seaweed salad' mix ages ago in one of the health food shops in Dublin that I discovered has spirulina in it. I'd say it was about €5, maybe less. Its just one of those things I keep in my press and add to miso soup or rice noodles.