PDA

View Full Version : I ate 10+ veggies & fruits today

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Mr Flibble
Sep 21st, 2005, 04:41 PM
and type of fruit?

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 21st, 2005, 04:42 PM
As I understand it fruit juice only counts as one portion regardless of quantity.

???

Well, in general, most holistic nutritionists suggest that the bulk of foods consumed are whole foods (fruits with pulp, skin etc.) , but in a healthy person with few sweets in their diets and no history of insulin issues, as long as there is plenty of fiber and whole foods in the diet, having many servings of juice in a smoothie isn't a big concern.

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 21st, 2005, 04:45 PM
and type of fruit?

Citrus and berries are amongst the ones that offer the best health benefits, and every food has a unique nutritional profile (calories/fiber/protein/carbohydrate/fats etc) but the purpose of this thread is to promote a wide array of fruits and veggies and plenty of them so anything goes ;) !

Mr Flibble
Sep 21st, 2005, 04:53 PM
cool, i'm not trying to argue or act dumb with my questions, i'm just interested. Currently I don't think I have 10 servings if juice isn't counted as multiple servings. The UK dept of health recomends 5 servings, which I'd say I get pretty much every day if i'm allowed to include fruit/vegetables that have been used as ingrediants as opposed to just eating raw.

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 21st, 2005, 04:58 PM
cool, i'm not trying to argue or act dumb with my questions, i'm just interested. Currently I don't think I have 10 servings if juice isn't counted as multiple servings. The UK dept of health recomends 5 servings, which I'd say I get pretty much every day if i'm allowed to include fruit/vegetables that have been used as ingrediants as opposed to just eating raw.

Yeah, the USDA and other government agencies have lower limits set for the general public too :( But as vegans, we have the right to superior health and vitality and since we aren't bound to limited thinking that the government subscribes to (and we have vegan Doctors and nutritionists to guide us) we set the bar much higher :)

Your juice *does* count as multiple servings for the purposes of this thread! Also, no preference is given (for the purposes of this thread) to raw or cooked foods, so post away!

foxytina_69
Sep 21st, 2005, 09:34 PM
cc, is it bad or unhealthy to consume my fruits in smoothies rather than eat them whole? i really dont have a sweet tooth and dont like to eat fruits by themselves that much, but its really easy for me to get them in a smoothie. i would think it wouldnt matter as its blended up so it makes it easier for my body to digest the fruit im putting in rather than having to digest it itself. u think?

so far today:

1 serving of peach
2 servings of strawberries
1 serving banana
1 serving oj w/ calcium
1 serving chopped onion
1 serving chopped tomatoes
1 serving chopped pepper (red and green)
1 serving peas
1 serving brussel sprouts

10 servings total. i may eat more.

Roxy
Sep 21st, 2005, 09:45 PM
So far today I've had:

1.5 cups of organic fruit smoothie - 2 servings.
Some italian vegan risotto for lunch to which I added about a half a cup of veggies (organic olives and tomato) - 1 serving.

So 3 servings so far.

It's only 1.48pm though.

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 21st, 2005, 09:54 PM
cc, is it bad or unhealthy to consume my fruits in smoothies rather than eat them whole? i really dont have a sweet tooth and dont like to eat fruits by themselves that much, but its really easy for me to get them in a smoothie. i would think it wouldnt matter as its blended up so it makes it easier for my body to digest the fruit im putting in rather than having to digest it itself. u think?

I am much more of a "veggie" person myself and usually eat smoothies to get my fruits in too! If you cut up the fruit yourself and include the skins it's just as healthy as eating the fruit separate! I say eat what you can when you can! For instance, I am able to get bulk bags of organic blueberries, mangoes and blackberries for as low as commercial and so I always have them in the freezer for smoothies. It's great when I don't want to wash dishes or veggies and cut up, prepare etc.! Instant healthy meal in a blender!

twinkle
Sep 21st, 2005, 09:57 PM
I just started getting an organic box scheme to deliver to my workplace and the first box came today. I got the family fruit and veg box from Eden Farms (http://www.edenfarms.co.uk/products.php) and I'm really impressed with the quality and quantity.

I've eaten:

1 kiwi fruit
1/2 an orange
handful of raw green beans
a raw carrot
a tomato
an apple

I also had 3 glasses of orange juice and an entire jar of pickled gherkins (do those count) plus a generous helping of mango chutney on my pumpkin and sunflower seed toast :D

foxytina_69
Sep 21st, 2005, 09:58 PM
i do cut them myself and keep the skins on. :) thanks cc. thats great than :D

Artichoke47
Sep 22nd, 2005, 01:25 AM
Carrots - 1
Potatoes - 2
Banana - 1
Orange - 1
Tomatoes - 2
Green pepper - 1
Spinach - 1
Avocado - 1/2
Red onion - 1/2
Banana pepper - 1/2

I'm still hungry. I didn't get a lunch break. I might drink a smoothie later.

ETA:
Strawberries - 1
Raspberries - 1

TOTAL = 12.5

Mr Flibble
Sep 22nd, 2005, 11:48 AM
http://www.edenfarms.co.uk/products.php

"Mixed fruit & veg box with childrens favourites such as broccoli........"

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Since when have children ever liked broccoli?! I used to think it was disgusting. Actually, come to think of it, I still do!

FR
Sep 22nd, 2005, 11:52 AM

Since when have children ever liked broccoli?! I used to think it was disgusting. Actually, come to think of it, I still do!

I assume some kids do not like it, but if it is "hidden" amongst yummy fruits, they will never know it is there.

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 22nd, 2005, 02:42 PM

My daughter has *always* loved broccoli and in fact ate an entire POUND of it all by herself, just last night :p

She had it steamed with pressed garlic, lemon juice, flax oil and nutritional yeast ;)

jillian
Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:46 PM
Yesterday (all = to one serving, only the mushrooms split between meals):
blueberries, pineapple, carrots, kale, broccoli, mushrooms, nectarine, figs, red pepper, purslane.

10 servings is not so bad given that I was too full after dinner to have my monster salad. I was supposed to have it first, but the pizza called to me.

Today:
blueberries, pineapple, banana, figs, mixed greens (3 servings), assorted veggies (approx. 1 serving of artichoke hearts, heart of palm & mushrooms), dinner will be out -- if I can con my friend into going to Pure Food & Wine then several servings of veggies/fruit since it is a raw place, if not maybe only 1 1/2 servings at Zen Palate or Galaxy since it will probably be a side dish there).

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:59 PM
Yesterday:

2 servings collard greens
2 servings spring onions (all served with herbed tofu and Cajun spices)
2 servings tomato
1 serving garlic/jalapeno
1 serving avocado
1 serving salsa

2 servings beets (served with raw garlic tahini dressing)
1 serving cucumber

1 serving tomato sauce (served with 2 "Neatballs")

1 serving pineapple (served with vegan pizza)
1 serving combined veggies (pizza sauce, onions and garlic on vegan pizza)

2 servings mixed veggie soup
(celery, corn, carrots, potatoes, green beans, onions, garlic, tomatoes and lima beans)

2 servings calcium-fortified orange juice

foxytina_69
Sep 23rd, 2005, 01:44 AM
today:

1 serving banana
2 servings strawberries
1 serving peach
1 serving oj w/ calcium
2 servings carrot and peas
1 serving onion
1 serving pepper
1 serving beets
1 serving salsa

= 11

Artichoke47
Sep 23rd, 2005, 01:49 AM
Banana (1)
Mango (1)
Orange (1)
Carrots (2)
Green onion (1/2)
Broccoli (2)
Potatoes (2)

Almost there, 9 1/2. I can't help it...tiramisu was calling me for dessert! :p

mophoto
Sep 23rd, 2005, 02:29 AM
this is a great thread idea. you guys are an inspiration. i have been lazy in the food prep. department lately, but after reading this i want to hit the fruit market tomorrow. thanks:)

Roxy
Sep 23rd, 2005, 02:36 AM
Today:

1/2 serving of avocado
1/2 serving of organic apple juice
1 serving banana
2 servings of organic tomato soup
2 servings of mixed salad veggies (baby romaine leaves and tomato)
1 1/2 servings cranberry/kiwi juice.

7.5 servings today

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 23rd, 2005, 03:10 PM
Yesterday:

1 serving each, totaling 6 servings: peach, green apple, pink raspberries, red raspberries, blueberries, passionfruit/lemon (a delicious fruit salad served with yogurt sauce and walnuts)

2 servings guacamole 2 servings Pico de Gallo (chunky raw salsa of tomatoes, chiles, cilantro, lemon and onions with black beans, rice and a tortilla)

Just barely 10 :( and no green leafies! Oh well, it all balances out;some days I have 18 servings of fruits and veggies ;)

Yoggy
Sep 23rd, 2005, 05:35 PM
Almost there, 9 1/2. I can't help it...tiramisu was calling me for dessert! :p
There's a vegan tiramisu??? How awesome! What do you substitute for the mascarpone cream? Tiramisu used to be my FAVOURITE dessert!

Today so far:
1 serv strawberries
1 serv banana
1 serv apple juice
All combined in a delicious smoothie. That was just breakfast, so luckily I've still got lunch and supper in which to find 7 more servings.

Artichoke47
Sep 23rd, 2005, 06:16 PM
I don't know what mascarpone cream is. I don't substitute anything. I have a recipe for tiramisu with sponge cake, cream cheese frosting, and of course espresso, cocoa powder and cinnamon sprinkles. :)

FR
Sep 23rd, 2005, 06:50 PM
^^^ That sounds good.

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 23rd, 2005, 11:37 PM
2 servings green curried vegetables (onion, zucchini, pea pods, bamboo shoots, cilantro, basil served over brown rice)
2 servings raw beets (served with raw cilantro-basil dressing)

3 servings steamed beets
1 serving red onions

4 sevings fruit salad (peaches, passion fruit, green apples, pink raspberries, red raspberries, strawberries and lemon)

I am driving to Arizona so I will be eating LaraBars, dried pineapple, a peach and dried mango :D bringing me 4-6 more fruit servings which is more fruit than I usually eat in an entire day!