PDA

View Full Version : I ate 10+ veggies & fruits today

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 20th, 2005, 04:04 PM
In order to promote healthy vegans and healthy veganism, I'd like to start this thread where we post healthy eating days where we get in at LEAST 10 servings of veggies and fruits.

All the most respected vegan Doctors and nutritionists suggest emphasizing fruits and veggies as our main foods, so why not take advantage of their expertise and guidance and do our bodies a favor by eating really well?

In general, a "serving" of Vegetable is:

• 1/2 cup cooked or 1 cup chopped raw vegetables or
• 3/4 cup vegetable juice or
• 1 cup of raw leafy vegetables

In general, a "serving" of Fruit is:

• 1 medium-sized apple, banana, or orange or
• 3/4 cup of fruit juice or
• 1/2 cup of chopped, frozen, cooked, dried or canned fruit

Happy, healthy eating :D

Pob
Sep 20th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Yesterday I had:

1/2 portion of sultanas (on breakfast cereal), orange, banana, grapes.
The rest was on a pizza base: good dollop of tomato puree, avocado, 1/2 onion, tomato, 1/2 sweet pepper, small parsnip, 1/2 courgette, mushrooms (do they count?)
I also had a vegetable soup for lunch that was probably worth 1 or 2 veggies.

I reckon that's around 10ish. I meant to put spinach on the pizza, too, but forgot in all the excitement of using grated parsnip as a cheese substitute :cool:

So far today I'm on:
1/2 portion of sultanas (in porridge), 2 oranges, banana, grapes, tin of veggie soup (carrot and butterbean).

Does soya milk count at all? Or other beans or pulses? Potatoes or sweet potatoes?

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 20th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Does soya milk count at all? Or other beans or pulses? Potatoes or sweet potatoes?

No legumes, although they are next on my list of foods to eat after fruits and veggies! Next comes whole grains/pulses but for this thread, I'd like to focus soley on fruits and veggies ;)

Potatoes and sweet potatoes certainly do count!

Great job, Rob! Keep up the varied eating!

Artichoke47
Sep 20th, 2005, 05:45 PM
So far for breakfast and lunch, I've had:

1 serving banana
1 serving red peppers
1 serving carrots
1 serving broccoli
1 serving celery
1 serving sugar-snap peas
1 serving green onions
2 servings kiwi
1 serving tomato

ETA: Also had another 1/2 serving of carrots and 2 potatoes
---------------------
12.5 total

FR
Sep 20th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Let's see, I have had these veggies and fruits:

- an apple (1)
- an orange (1)
- Tofu filled lasagna which had, spinach, onion, and tomato (3)
- spaghetti squash, which had, tomato, spaghetti squash, onion (3).

Looks like I have failed since I am done eating for today. :( :p

Tigerlily
Sep 20th, 2005, 06:48 PM
It's 2:42pm and so far I ate:

2 cups worth of grapes (4 servings if 1/2cup of grapes is 1 serving, right?)
1/2 cup worth of sliced tomato (1 serving)
1/2 cup of spinach leaves for my sandwich (half a serving)
1 cup of orange juice (1 serving)

So, I had 6.5 servings of fruits and veggies and I didn't even have my afternoon snack yet or supper or evening snacks!

I think I will reach 10 today.

I have a veggie serving question: What about a veggie burger made from real vegetables, not soy? I bought these "9-Vegetable Vegetarian Patties" and they include good stuff like corn and peas plus more veggies, plus chickpea flour, some "defatted" soy (last ingredient)...would they count as a vegetable serving?

Tigerlily
Sep 20th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Let's see, I have had these veggies and fruits:

- an apple (1)
- an orange (1)
- Tofu filled lasagna which had, spinach, onion, and tomato (3)
- spaghetti squash, which had, tomato, spaghetti squash, onion (3).

Looks like I have failed since I am done eating for today. :( :p

That doesn't make sense, Indiana is 1 hour behind me so it's not even 2 yet and you're done eating? You won't be having ANYTHING all evening? Not even carrot sticks, grapes?

FR
Sep 20th, 2005, 08:01 PM
That doesn't make sense, Indiana is 1 hour behind me so it's not even 2 yet and you're done eating? You won't be having ANYTHING all evening? Not even carrot sticks, grapes?

Due to my work schedule, the times I eat are a bit different than the norm.

I work nights, and days. I usually get up about 9:30pm on weekdays, I eat, then leave for work at 10:40pm for an 11pm start. I then eat a bit when I leave at 7am, and start my day job at 7:30 am. I then snack on fruit or raw veggies and take my dinner break at 11am or noon. I leave work at 4:30pm. I am in bed by 5:15pm. Basically, I do not eat within a few hours of going to bed for the day.

Pob
Sep 20th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Today's final count

1/2 portion of sultanas (in porridge), 2 oranges, banana, grapes, tin of veggie soup (carrot and butterbean). red, green, yellow peppers (half pepper total), half onion, mushrooms, broccoli, 1/4 courgette

twinkle
Sep 20th, 2005, 08:24 PM
1 raw tomato
2 nectarines
1/2 red (bell) pepper, raw

Curried baked bean extravamaganza consisting of the following heated up:
1/2 tin of baked beans (counts as 1 serving according to the tin :) )
a small onion
a serving of peas
couple of mushrooms
1/2 red (bell) pepper
couple of spoonfuls of curry sauce (it's like a tomatoey sauce with peppers and onions and spices, from a jar)

boiled potatoes with their skins on on the side

That must be pretty close to 10

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 21st, 2005, 12:44 AM
Everyone is doing so well! :D

Here's my day:

2 servings broccoli
1 serving carrots
1 serving fresh green peas
1 serving tomato
1 serving Spring onion

1 serving orange juice
1 serving mango
1 serving peaches
1 serving strawberries

2 servings kale
1 serving sweet potato
1 serving onion

1 serving mixed baby greens
1 serving sunflower seed sprouts
1 serving tomato
1 serving beets

(and in addition to those fruits and veggies, I had tofu, sesame seeds, coconut oil, Goddess dressing, many herbs and spices, quinoa and tamari almonds)

;)

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 21st, 2005, 12:48 AM
I have a veggie serving question: What about a veggie burger made from real vegetables, not soy? I bought these "9-Vegetable Vegetarian Patties" and they include good stuff like corn and peas plus more veggies, plus chickpea flour, some "defatted" soy (last ingredient)...would they count as a vegetable serving?

Seems like it would count for nearly a serving if it is veggie-based...1/2 a serving at the least! Keep up the good work!!! :D

tipsy
Sep 21st, 2005, 02:25 AM
so today i ate:

a smoothie for break
pappaya
pineapple
bannana

carrot juice for morning break @ work

LuNch
carrots
peas
asparagus
a baked potato
grapes
pineapple

afternoon snack of (chips&)
salsa ...that counts right?

dinner
like two servings of spinach in my salad...(it was monstrous!...& yummmmm)

so thats like 13 maybe!!! plus the garlic and onions on my salad....damn i rock! :D

plus two cups of oj!!!

foxytina_69
Sep 21st, 2005, 04:03 AM
hmmm great thread :D

okay well lets see:

1 serving of peas
1 serving of pasta sauce (the bottle says 1/2 cup equals 2 servings of vegetables :\)
1 serving of oj w/ calcium
3 servings of romaine lettuce
1 serving alfalfa sprouts
1 serving chopped celery
1 serving raw tomato
1 serving chopped mushrooms
1 serving red pepper

yay 11 :)

this is a great idea though cc, this will definately help me to up my intake and become more aware. thank you very much for starting this thread :)

foxytina_69
Sep 21st, 2005, 04:05 AM
oh i know how i can get ten, ill add a couple extra servings of veggies to my pasta rather than just peas :D

FR
Sep 21st, 2005, 05:24 AM
So far I have had a hazelnut milk & fruit smoothie which had a serving of blueberries and cranberries (2).

I will be having:

- baby carrots (1)
- 2 veggie sandwiches which have spinach, onion, and tomato (6)
- an orange, a red bartlet pear (2)

Ahh, made it to 11!

foxytina_69
Sep 21st, 2005, 07:02 AM
ive noticed its not hard to get to ten and up being vegan. :D

eve
Sep 21st, 2005, 07:43 AM
For breakfast I had a portion of pawpaw, 4 soaked prunes, 2 large strawberries, a portion of cooked apples - other stuff not fruit or vegies.

Lunchtime I first juiced a stick of celery with two portions of carrots, and some mint. Then a cooked meal of a portion each of peas, tomato, sweet potato, onion plus some protein. I tend not to eat an evening meal but instead eat a bowl of peanuts plus some dates that I'm about to eat when coming off line! :)

eve
Sep 21st, 2005, 07:44 AM
PS: I hardly recognised you CC - your avatar is lovely.

celtic rose
Sep 21st, 2005, 04:11 PM
Blimey. how does everyone manage to eat all that?
I'm doing well if I manage five, seven on a really good day.
Must try harder.

Mr Flibble
Sep 21st, 2005, 04:21 PM
"3/4 cup of fruit juice"

That's not a lot, assuming you're talking about a cup which is 237ml. If you have 356ml (2 x 0.75(237)) of juice from the same fruit, is that counted as 2 portions? I regularly drink a whole 1 litre carton of juice in a day (and when I make smoothie it's generally a pint), and if so that's 5.6 portions in juice alone.

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 21st, 2005, 04:25 PM
Blimey. how does everyone manage to eat all that?
I'm doing well if I manage five, seven on a really good day.
Must try harder.

It's easy really...one of the easiest ways to get in lots of fruits and veggies is to start the day with a smoothie or veggie scramble and just continue to make fruits and veggies the focus of your meals and snacks! I find that there is no room for processed foods and excess starches (breads, crackers, cereals, tortillas, pastas) when the focus is on whole foods!

7 is nothing to scoff at, if there is a variety of leafy greens and fruits, by the way ;) you are certainly doing better than many!

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 21st, 2005, 04:28 PM
"3/4 cup of fruit juice"

That's not a lot, assuming you're talking about a cup which is 237ml. If you have 356ml (2 x 0.75(237)) of juice from the same fruit, is that counted as 2 portions? I regularly drink a whole 1 litre carton of juice in a day (and when I make smoothie it's generally a pint), and if so that's 5.6 portions in juice alone.

I used generally-accepted amounts as "serving" guidelines, but as you can see, people are adapting a "serving" to mean what they like. 3/4 cup is *not* a lot of juice but when you factor in how much (volume) of fruit it would take to make that much juice (and subtract the pulp with all its fiber and other valuable properties) 3/4 a cup is really quite generous.

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 21st, 2005, 04:34 PM
PS: I hardly recognised you CC - your avatar is lovely.

Thanks, Eve :) Yours is one of my favorites too ;)

celtic rose
Sep 21st, 2005, 04:36 PM
"3/4 cup of fruit juice"

As I understand it fruit juice only counts as one portion regardless of quantity.