PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Ball for Dr Hardwen Trust - are you going?

Pages : [1] 2

gertvegan
Jul 25th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Hi guys

I am delighted to let you know that I am helping to organize the ball for the wonderful charity - the Dr Hadwen Trust (http://www.crueltyfreeshop.com/drhadwen)

The event will be held on 15 October 2005 at the Hilton Hotel in Paddington - and of course all the food and drink will be vegan.

We have had a wonderful response from the celebrity supporters of the trust and we are delighted that;

Virginia McKenna,
Sean Hughes,
Carol Royle,
Margi Clarke,
Caroline Edmunds,
Rebecca Callard,
Wendy Turner Webster and Gary Webster

have all confirmed their attendance along with many of the doctors and scientists involved with the trust.

Many of the tickets have already been sold and a great deal have been reserved. This event will sell out very quickly.

The ball is self funding and is set to be a wonderful celebration for the trust, raise awareness for the work they do and raise funds too.

If you are interested in attending the event or have any questions please contact the trust on 01462 436819

Pls do let me know if you are going - and I look forward to seeing you there!

With many thanks and best vegan wishes

Karin Ridgers

*PR and events for people who make a difference* www.mad-promotions.com

* Veggie Internet TV station - cookery, celebs, info* www.veggievision.com

gertvegan
Aug 18th, 2005, 11:13 PM
GALA DINNER - SPECIAL OFFER!

The Dr Hadwen Trust for Humane Research is celebrating it's 35th Birthday with a Gala Dinner at the Paddington Hilton in London on the 15th October 2005. The 3 course meal will be vegan and mouthwateringly delicious! Celebrities attending include Joanna Lumley, Sean Hughes, Virginia McKenna and Caroline Lucas MEP. We are offering a massive discount on the booking of a table for 10. The cost would normally be £95 per ticket - that's £950 for a table. But if you book 10 tickets now, we will discount that price to £760. That's a 20% saving on the normal ticket price.

Contact the Trust now on 01462 436819 or e-mail info@drhadwentrust.org.uk.

Please mention that you saw this on Vegan Village.

SophieFP
Sep 20th, 2005, 10:45 AM
If any of you are thinking of going we could get together and share a table.

Sophie

Gliondrach
Sep 20th, 2005, 11:41 AM
I won't be going but I hope that it is a great success and brings in a lot of dosh.

I would be tempted to go if I could dance with Wendy Turner. Someone would have to keep her husband occupied. He used to be Minder but I could take him. I wouldn't want to cause any trouble, though, so it would be better if he didn't see me dancing with his wife. I would also require a table to myself. I am very antisocial at mealtimes. Have you ever seen a savage dog at dinner? It's best not to approach them.

Tofu Monster
Sep 20th, 2005, 11:46 AM
i couldn't afford that much dosh for a bit of grub and anyway, if i start dancing in public people start throwing shoes at me till i stop.

shame though, would be cool to say hello to the mighty mr z.

SophieFP
Sep 20th, 2005, 02:55 PM
It's Sean Hughes I'm rather tempted by - but luckily I'll have my hubby with me to keep me happy :rolleyes:

I certainly hope there'll be lots of food so we won't have to fight over it!

Mister The Cat
Sep 20th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Who is Sean Hughes???

I too think this event is very expensive and as such won't be going. I am all for raising money, but can't spare £95, or £76 for that matter. I wanted to go to the Vegan ball last year but that was about the same price.

Tofu, I am sure I am not alone in saying that I would love to see you dance.

SophieFP
Sep 20th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Sean Hughes used to be on Never Mind the Buzzcocks (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115286/ ), he's a very funny bloke.

It's indeed the standard kind of price for a ball - though big organisations/charities can charge a lot more. It is pricy all the same, but I just like to splash out and go to a big event once a year supporting a great cause. The other people there tend to be the doers of this world so are interesting to meet.

Mister The Cat
Sep 20th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Oh I see. And he is vegan? Cool. I thought I recognised the name, but couldn't place him. I haven't actually heard of most of the others at all though!

I know, it's just still expensive for me. Have fun.

Pob
Sep 20th, 2005, 04:42 PM
I'd well be up for that - not sure if I could persuade t'other half, though, although Sean Hughes might help in that direction.

catmogg
Sep 20th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Oh wow, a BALL!! :) :)

I'd love to go but i've no one to go with and its wayyyyyyyy too expensive...
:( :( :( :(

FAIRY GODMOTHER????

Where are you??

Gliondrach
Sep 20th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Rebecca Callard and Karin Ridgers look quite danceable, too.

If I was going, I would wear my white suit.

Kiran
Sep 20th, 2005, 06:20 PM
I'd love to go but i've no one to go with and its wayyyyyyyy too expensive...
:( :( :( :(

Look no further.. Kiran is here. :D :p

twinkle
Sep 20th, 2005, 06:36 PM
I can't really afford it either, but I will have just had my first proper paycheck from my new job and it does sound good. Sophie - maybe if you've almost got a tableful and have one space left you can't fill, let me know.

SophieFP
Sep 21st, 2005, 06:24 PM
Will do Twinkle - you're great company so that would be excellent.

Mr Flibble
Sep 22nd, 2005, 11:21 PM
Too expensive for me, although I do have their xmas catalogue on my desk and it's the first ever charity catalogue I've had that actually has anything in it that's worth buying at decent prices. May make an order from it instead.

SophieFP
Sep 23rd, 2005, 10:59 AM
Rob - have you managed to persuade your other half?

Kiran - are you coming along? ;o)

snaffler
Sep 23rd, 2005, 11:24 AM
Far to expensive for me and they still have got rid of all the Nutters with ticking Rucksacks in London yet.

Good cause but I think I would sooner send a donation and keep my limbs.

If I had the time and money I would do a vegan bash for the normal wage earners with all sorts of sillyness.

Pob
Sep 23rd, 2005, 12:22 PM
Rob - have you managed to persuade your other half?
That's a no, I'm afraid. Might have been doable if it had been closer to us, but she wasn't willing to travel to London and back for some food she's already convinced she would hate:mad:

Marrers
Sep 26th, 2005, 05:09 PM
I'm going, tickets finally arrived this morning!!! Booked my seats way back before I knew about the special deal for a table (last year we managed to go in on a table at the Vegan Ball dinner and dance).

I know this is expensive, as the Vegan Ball was, but I like to be able to go totally glam and splash out on an evening like meat eaters and veggies get to do.

I know that if I wasn't vegan my other half and I would often eat out at very expensive places (like the Oxo Tower and other big name restaurants) when we went out to dinner. I'm all for the cheap and cheerful but do like to go high end as well from time to time. Luckily we can afford it.

Vegans are just as diverse a group as any other section of society. I think events like this challenge the stereotype a lot of people have of vegans (as low income hippie types who have limited money to spend and would rather cook meals from scratch!) That is just not me!

I want the whole range of vegans to be catered for. This inevitably means some things will only appeal to some people - in terms of the type of event as well as financial considerations - as is the way of the world in general!

SophieFP
Sep 27th, 2005, 09:39 AM
I'm going, tickets finally arrived this morning!!! Booked my seats way back before I knew about the special deal for a table.

Hi Marrers - if you count as 2 that makes 8 people we know who could share a table. If we get two more we could then each get a welcome little refund and they'd get cheaper tickets too! Would you be on for this?

And I agree, our diversity is our strength. Educating posh places is pretty necessary as they are normally the least inspired for vegan food - usually cheaper means better food! But Karin (the organiser) has convinced me they are being well educated for this ball, so that's great. She can convince anyone of anything - like getting me to go to the ball when I'm supposed to be saving up!

Marrers
Sep 27th, 2005, 10:12 AM
If we get two more we could then each get a welcome little refund and they'd get cheaper tickets too! Would you be on for this?
I'm not sure how it would work since we paid months ago and already have our 2 tickets - but if you kow some way to sort it it's fine with me. (Even if it means I don't get any reduction at least others might benefit!)

I hope tickets are selling well.

SophieFP
Sep 27th, 2005, 10:26 AM
I've just talked to the Dr H Trust and they are happy for us to share a table and find 2 more. Those two could pay us their £76 each, which we could share between us, to bring our already purchased tickets down to that price too. I'd be happy to co-ordinate it with the Trust.

They've still got plenty of spaces left for this excellent event - so if you can just about afford it anyone you are very welcome to join us!

Marrers
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Well I am really looking forward to it. Can anyone else from here be tempted to join us???? :) We could have a mini meet on the dancefloor!

SophieFP
Sep 29th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Excellent - I'm on for a bit of dancing! No ability required.