PDA

View Full Version : The Vegan Carrot Cake Recipe Collection

Pages : [1] 2 3

Marie
Sep 24th, 2005, 01:25 PM
I loooooved carrot cake before I became vegan (nearly 6 years ago). Lately I`ve been longing for a piece of carrot cake so badly that I`ve being obsessed with it, and yesterday I saw the latest Satya Magazine with a beautiful picture of a slice of carrot cake on the front page. But to my disappoinment no recipe followed. So can anyone save me? :)

cedarblue
Sep 24th, 2005, 04:37 PM
this is from the 'meals without squeals' cookbook.
even the carnies love it!!

160z wholemeal flour
2 tsp mixed spice
2 tsp baking powder
8oz finely grated carrot
pinch salt
8o fl oz sunflower oil
8 fl oz apple or orange juice
12oz brown sugar
finely grated rind and juice of 1 orange

oven at gas 2/150C/300F. grease and line a square baking tin

mix all ingredients and beat together.
pour into tin and bake for approx 45mins. cover if getting too brown too early.
cool in tin and cut up.

i made a vegan 'butter' icing for the top with marge, vanilla essence, icing sugar and a dollop of tofutti plain 'cream cheese'.

Stormypagan
Sep 24th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Carrot cake is yummy but grating the carrot for ir can be a bit boring though hehehe :0)

I just made a date and walnut cake and it is moist and scrummy :0) It took ages to cook as I doubled the ingrediants and I wasn't sure how long the aga would take, as agas are new to me in last few months!! but its turned out groovy :0) Ages since I made this cake and it's just to scrum for words hehehe!!

Love and light
Xxxx Stormy xxxX

catmogg
Sep 24th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhh wow. I want some now.

Mr Flibble
Sep 24th, 2005, 06:19 PM
crazy, i was out buying some carrots for a carrot cake when you made your post :D

I'm adapting one of my current recipes for mine thou, i have a good sponge recipe that I'm hoping to carrotize. I also picked up one of these today:

http://www.wilton.com/store/images/site_images/415-815_m.jpg

(http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=415-815&killnav=1) so i can start making posh looking cakes :D

Marie
Sep 24th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Thank you Cedarblue I`ll go for it. Mixed spice, what is it?
Your cake sounds Yummy to Stormy is there a recipe? I`m in mood for cakes.

cedarblue
Sep 24th, 2005, 08:11 PM
mixed spice is sold in most supermarkets in the spice/dried herb sections.

its a pre-made mix of cinnamon, coriander, nutmeg, clove and ginger.

Stormypagan
Sep 24th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Thank you Cedarblue I`ll go for it. Mixed spice, what is it?
Your cake sounds Yummy to Stormy is there a recipe? I`m in mood for cakes.

Well, here it is Marie :0) You can substitute things like making sure the sugar is vegan etc... but this is the basis of it :0) WHOOPS!!! half the cake has gone already hehehe!!!

Date and Walnut Cake

300g (11oz) Self Raising Flour
300ml (10 floz) soya Milk
150g (5oz) Dates, chopped
110g (4oz) Dark Muscovado Sugar
50g (2oz) Walnuts, chopped
4 tbsp Sunflower Oil
2 tsp Ground Mixed Spice
Walnut halves - to decorate

Pre-heat oven to 180°C: 350°F: Gas 4.
Grease and line a 1kg (2lb) loaf tin with marged greaseproof paper.
Sift the flour and spice together into a bowl.
Add the dates and walnuts and mix.
Add the soya milk, muscovado sugar and oil, stir thoroughly.
Spoon the mixture into the tin and place the walnut halves on top.
Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and firm.
Turn out on to a wire rack to cool, after having removed the lining paper.

Hope you enjoy it when you make it, I doubled it and put it in a cake tin instead, to make a huge cake as I have a hungry family <grin>

Love and light
Xxxx Stormy xxxX

Purity
Feb 28th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Carrot cake is yummy but grating the carrot for ir can be a bit boring though hehehe :0)

Could you use the excess pulp that comes off as a by-prduct from juicing do you think? I'm always wondering what to do with that stuff, seems such a waste to throw it away!

I'm thinking of getting a breadmaker and adding various pulp to loaves to see what it tastes like too :)

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 28th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Could you use the excess pulp that comes off as a by-prduct from juicing do you think? I'm always wondering what to do with that stuff, seems such a waste to throw it away!

I'm thinking of getting a breadmaker and adding various pulp to loaves to see what it tastes like too :)

Yes you can! I have had good results using carrot, zucchini, ginger and apple this way (veg remains such as celery, carrots, zucchini, beets, kale etc. can be used in a savory 'neatloaf').

catmogg
Feb 28th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I just finished a screaming carrot carrot cake and it was devine. It was so moist and creamy it was utterly dreamy...:rolleyes: Ahhhhhhhhh.

ScandinaVegan
Apr 6th, 2006, 09:51 PM
I made this carrot cake not so long ago.. It's the best vegan cake I've ever made...!!!

Carrot Cake

Ingredients:

2-1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ to 3/4 cup brown sugar
½ to 3/4 cup regular sugar
3 egg equivalent in Ener-G egg replacer
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup vegetable oil
2 cups finely grated carrots
1 can (about 14 oz) crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup shredded coconut
nuts and raisins optional

Directions:

Note: if you don't have Ener-G egg replacer, use some mashed banana, conserve some of the oil and add some extra baking soda.

Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, spice, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, mix sugar and eggs until creamy (works best with an electric mixer) - add vanilla, then add vegetable oil. Mix wet and dry ingredients together and add carrots, pineapple, and coconut.

I prefer a thicker cake, so I used a 9x9 glass pan. But if you prefer thinner cake with more servings, use a 13x9. Grease pan. Smooth batter into pan. Bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Be sure to let the cake adequately cool before frosting.

Frost it with the frosting of your liking :p

Enjoy :)
Personalized from a VegWeb (http://vegweb.com/) recipe.

//kasper

piggy
Apr 6th, 2006, 11:21 PM
this is my own recipe:

Ingredients:

1.5 c. flour = 188g
10 ml cinnamon
1 ml ground cloves
2 ml nutmeg
1 ml ginger
some grated orange peel
2 tsp. baking powder
200 g brown sugar
0.5 tsp. salt
6 tbsp. canola oil
1 tbsp. vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla essence
2 tbsp margarine
1 c. cold water = 250ml
335 ml grated carrots
35 g chopped walnuts

Glaze:

3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons water
&#188; teaspoon lemon juice

How to Prepare:

1. preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
2. put flour, orange peel, spices, baking powder, sugar & salt in bowl and mix
3. make 3 holes in the dry mix, and in one hole pour oil, then in other vinegar, then vanilla in other, and add margarine
4. pour part of the water over, then mix and repeat until dough has the right consistency. You might not need all the water
5. fold in the carrots and walnuts
6. pour in greased cake pan and bake at 180 for about 30 min. or so
7. Heat the sugar and water together for the glaze in a small saucepan. Boil 1 minute, remove from the heat, and add the lemon juice. While the cake is hot, brush it all over with the sugar glaze.

if u want icing i suppose u can use vegan cream cheese with icing sugar, or ground cashews/almonds with icing sugar and a little bit of lemon juice, but i always do it without the icing. that's why i put the glaze on, but i suppose that isn't essential either.

if you like your cake to be sweeter, increase the amount of sugar...i've noticed there's quite a difference between the american and the european tastebuds :)

moonshadow
May 22nd, 2006, 06:26 PM
has anyone found a good 'creamcheese' style frosting for carrot cake? the one i tried out wound up runny. tasty, but runny.

there's this bakery in santa cruz who do an awewome vegan carrotcake. they do this gorgeous thick frosting. mmm... my mouth waters just thinking about it.

DancingWillow
May 22nd, 2006, 06:38 PM
I think it's possible to make your own cheesecake frosting...

You can use vegan cream cheese (like Tofutti), vegan sour cream (Tofutti makes this too) if you'd like, and some kind of sugar or sweetener. You can also add other stuff to taste: cinnamon, nutmeg, and so on.

If you want a thicker frosting, use more of the cream cheese (or entirely cream cheese, and no sour cream). If you want it lighter, use more sour cream.

Seaside
May 22nd, 2006, 07:27 PM
there's this bakery in santa cruz who do an awewome vegan carrotcake. they do this gorgeous thick frosting. mmm... my mouth waters just thinking about it.
Oh yes. The Black China Bakery! Only 45 minutes from where I live. They make good vegan German Chocolate cake too. And vegan scones that omnis like better than standard ones! :p

FR
May 22nd, 2006, 07:45 PM
I love carrot cake, but it's mandatory that it has walnuts and an orange/vegan cream cheese frosting. I can't stand when it's made with pinneapple. Don't get me wrong, pinneaple is good, but it's GROSS in carrot cake (or any cake for that matter). Also, it's mandatory that cakes should be two or more layers or be bundt cakes. Single layer cakes suck. :p

moochbabe
May 22nd, 2006, 08:42 PM
Oh yes. The Black China Bakery! Only 45 minutes from where I live. They make good vegan German Chocolate cake too. And vegan scones that omnis like better than standard ones! :p

how very exciting, i've been looking into santa cruz for transfering!! :D :D

moonshadow
May 22nd, 2006, 08:48 PM
yup, black china :)

they did our wedding cake!!

cedarblue
May 22nd, 2006, 09:18 PM
I can't stand when it's made with pinneapple

?????? never heard of that one! :eek:

Seaside
May 23rd, 2006, 01:23 AM
yup, black china :)

they did our wedding cake!!
Small world! I had their Vegan Vanilla Bean cake for my birthday last month. Yum! :p

Seaside
May 23rd, 2006, 01:25 AM
how very exciting, i've been looking into santa cruz for transfering!! :D :D
Santa Cruz is a very laid-back, vegan and animal-friendly place, moochbabe. :)

laurin
May 25th, 2006, 12:23 AM
crazy, i was out buying some carrots for a carrot cake when you made your post :D

I'm adapting one of my current recipes for mine thou, i have a good sponge recipe that I'm hoping to carrotize. I also picked up one of these today:

http://www.wilton.com/store/images/site_images/415-815_m.jpg

(http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=415-815&killnav=1) so i can start making posh looking cakes :D

What is that?:confused:

Seaside
May 25th, 2006, 01:06 AM
That's a cake slicer, laurin. Its a nice tool to have to make a nice, even slice. :)

insubordination
May 27th, 2006, 07:15 AM
I'm lucky that a local shop sells vegan carrot cake but it's 4.50 for a small slice (sliver!), so I don't buy it often.

I got these recipes from Cake: Vegan cake of course by Sue Belfitt. I have made the first (unhealthy) version several times and it is to die for. Everyone steals it. I haven't made the second, healthy version but I will.

Pecan Carrot Cake

125g vegan margarine
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoon maple syrup
2 cups grated carrot
1 cup sultanas
1 cup chopped pecans
1.5 cups self-raising flour (or normal flour and baking powder)
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinammon.

Beat the vegan margarine, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy (electric mixer works best). Beat in maple syrup. Stir in carrot, sultanas and pecans. Stir in the flour and spices and mix until thoroughly combined. This is a firm, not too sloppy, mix. Place mixture in and oiled loaf tin, smoothing off if necessary with the back of a wet spoon. Bake in a 190C oven until cooked. Check after 45 minutes. This cake may take up to 1 1/4 hours to cook.

Lemon (or other citrus) Soy Cream Cheese icing

1 tub vegan cream cheese
3 tablespoons icing sugar
3 tsp finely grated citrus peel (lime or mandarin are good)
2 Tablespoons of soya milk or citrus juice.

Let the cream cheese sit at room temperature for a time before you begin. Then beat all ingredients together to form required consistencey (you may have to add more icing sugar). It will set after a time but don't make it too runny.

Here's a healthy version.

Carrot and Cashew Cake

1.5 cups of brown rice flour and ground oats (thing that means 50/50 but not sure).
1/2 Cup arrowroot
1/2 cup chopped cashews
2 cups grated carrot
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 teasp vanilla
1 cup fruit juice
1/3 cup tahini

Mix flour, arrowroot and cinnamon in a bowl. Combine cashews and carrots and stir this into the flour mixture along with the vanilla, fruit juice and tahini. Should be a moist, stiff consistency.

Spoon into an oiled loaf tin and bake in a 175 C overn for 45 minutes. Turn out after cooling for 5 minutes then cover with a clean teatowel.

Cashew Cream

Soak 1/2 cup of cashews in 1.5 cups of water for a couple of hours and then blend until you have a smooth cream. Add 2 tablespoons of maple syrup or rice malt if you have a sweet tooth. Add more water if too thick or more nuts if too thin. You can use other nuts to do this. Macadamias and pecans are good.