PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Cereal Junky Food?

Rustic Bohemian
Sep 27th, 2005, 12:08 AM
I'm really in the mood for some of the junk cereal I ate as a kid. I usually buy the healthy stuff, but I could go for some like....cinnamon life...or Captain Crunch, or Cinnamon Toast Crunch....Coco Pebbles maybe....

What junk cereals are vegan so I don't have to pry through them all?

Thanks.

Artichoke47
Sep 27th, 2005, 12:14 AM
Envirokids Peanut Butter Panda Puffs!! :)

I doubt most cereals from the regular store are vegan, considering even if the ingredient list looks safe, most use vitamin D3 instead of D2, and who knows where they get the calcium fortifiers from. You'd have to write and ask. I know Peta and Vegan Outreach compiled a list of "vegan" cereals that they state are vegan, but they actually are not; they're just mostly vegan and are only for convenience sake for people who don't mind consuming some animal products, as long as they aren't the main ingredients. I guess those could be called "strict vegetarian" cereals.

LittleNellColumbia
Sep 27th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Hmmm, Try Norganics Crunchola, it isnt really "junky" but it becomes junky when your heading back for your third bowl, coz its so damn yummy!!

thecounterspark
Sep 27th, 2005, 04:55 AM
i believe these are vegan, but make sure to double check ingredients of course: count chocula, peanut butter puffs, fruity pebbles, cocoa puffs, cap'n crunch peanut butter crunch, cocoa pebbles, fruit loops, trix

mophoto
Sep 27th, 2005, 05:06 AM
fruity pebbles, really? sounds good.

i have been on a cereal binge lately. i never used to eat cereal, because i really didn't like milk. why i didn't try soy milk earlier is beyond me. i love cheerios. i think that is the junkiest food i eat because it is so processed. everyone makes fun of me because i either have a bad of trail mix or a bag of cheerios in my purse at all times. just in case.

mophoto
Sep 27th, 2005, 05:08 AM
do you know if Puffin peanutbutter cereal is vegan?? i bought it but couldn't tell by the ingredients, so for now they are dog treats. the dogs love 'em

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 27th, 2005, 06:29 AM
do you know if Puffin peanutbutter cereal is vegan?? i bought it but couldn't tell by the ingredients, so for now they are dog treats. the dogs love 'em

You need to check for ingredients such as the source of the B vitamins and the D vitamins. That's what makes Cheerios non-vegan :o

mophoto
Sep 27th, 2005, 06:46 AM
really. damn that peta "i can't believe it's not vegan" page. well i can believe it's not vegan. the dogs like cheerios too.:eek: i am done with processed foods.

foxytina_69
Sep 27th, 2005, 06:50 AM
envirokiz cereal is so yummy. we have the chocolate one and the corn pop one. the panda puffs are delicious.

mophoto
Sep 27th, 2005, 07:01 AM
i have never heard of envirokiz cereal maybe i could find it online. wait- didn't i just say i was done with processed foods?? i'm lazy:)