PDA

View Full Version : corn - not korn!

mophoto
Sep 27th, 2005, 07:07 AM
someone told me today that corn has no nutritional value.:( is that true?? i will still eat it on the cob as a filler

abrennan
Sep 27th, 2005, 07:44 AM
someone told me today that corn has no nutritional value.:( is that true?? i will still eat it on the cob as a filler

Vitamin A and C pottasium and folate and protein

I eat it cause it's yummy

I hope you find it so

I'm from sunny Sydney

and my name it is not Joe:D

mophoto
Sep 27th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Vitamin A and C pottasium and folate and protein

I eat it cause it's yummy

I hope you find it so

I'm from sunny Sydney

and my name it is not Joe:D

yes it is, joe !
thanks for the info:)

Seaside
Sep 27th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Did you know that korn is barley?

maya
Sep 27th, 2005, 07:57 PM
vitamin B1 (thiamin) 0.36 mg
folate 76.10 mcg
dietary fiber 4.60 g
vitamin C 10.16 mg
phosphorus 168.92 mg
manganese 0.32 mg
vitamin B5 1.44 mg

mophoto
Sep 27th, 2005, 08:33 PM

didn't know that. interesting:)

thanks maya- i think the source of the false information needs to be corrected. i think she came to the conclusion because of the way it is digested- or not digested when it goes through your system!

Roxy
Sep 27th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Mmmmmm - I love fresh, organic, peaches and cream corn on the cob!

eve
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Never heard that before - surely corn is maize?

abrennan
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Corn is a relative of Barley

Found this:

Corn, also called maize, is a cereal grass related to wheat, rice, oats, and barley. It is a plant whose food value and wide variety of uses make it the most important crop grown in the United States and one of the most important in the world. In order of world grain production, corn ranks second after wheat and is followed by third-ranking rice. Indians living in what is now Mexico about 10,000 years ago, first used corn gathered from wild plants as a food source. Near 5000 B.C., they learned how to grow corn themselves and it came to be called Indian corn. Today the term usually refers to corn varieties with multicolored kernels.

Here:

http://42explore.com/corn.htm (http://42explore.com/corn.htm)

FR
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:40 PM
I always wanted to try some multi-colored corn. I only ever see it sold as decorations. Where can I buy multi-colored corn to eat?

screamingcarrot
Sep 30th, 2005, 02:16 PM
i hate corn. i hardly ever eat it.
it goes right through me for a start so i dont think my bodys absorbing anything (sorry im just being honest!)
and i hate eating it off the cob cause you get all those bits stuck in your teeth, and you burn your gums aswell if its hot.

abrennan
Sep 30th, 2005, 02:28 PM
i hate corn. i hardly ever eat it.
it goes right through me for a start so i dont think my bodys absorbing anything (sorry im just being honest!)
and i hate eating it off the cob cause you get all those bits stuck in your teeth, and you burn your gums aswell if its hot.

you should chew your food screaming carrot, then your body gets the chance to absorb it, your stomach doesn't chew it prepares your food for absorbtion in the intestine.

antony:eek::)

screamingcarrot
Sep 30th, 2005, 02:30 PM
nah, chewings overrated. our labrador got by without it just fine.. :)
and my stomach can multitask.

Rhiannon
Sep 30th, 2005, 02:38 PM
LOL, yeah, it seems no matter how much I try to chew the darn stuff it always comes back out untouched. Does anybody actually not have this problem?

Theres this advert on the tv here for sweetcorn, saying its full of natural goodness etc and counts as 1 of your 5 a day fruit/veg....but I can't help thinking that surely you cant get that much goodness from it if its not being digested lol, and I always thought corn was a cereal/grain type thing and not really a vegetable? is that wrong? lol, probably hehe.

Northchild
Sep 30th, 2005, 03:53 PM
I've eaten raw corn on the cob a few times, because I couldn't be bothered to cook it. It's actually not half bad!

Pilaf
Sep 30th, 2005, 05:18 PM
It's useful for bowel movements, and creates amusing stool. :D

Tigerlily
Sep 30th, 2005, 05:56 PM
I love corn with lots of Earth Balance.

abrennan
Oct 1st, 2005, 12:33 AM
We MUST chew all our food to a paste, including our corn

digestion starts in the mouth when you chew your food to a paste and it mixes with your saliva:)

mophoto
Oct 1st, 2005, 03:14 AM

i thought seaside as referring to people on this forum:) sorry barley for assuming you were korn....... unless

tipsy
Oct 1st, 2005, 04:37 AM
thats what i thought too mophoto! :o

i would assume that the only reason that a person would say that corn has no nutritional value is because in kernel form it passes dirctly thou your body (as you guys have said)...

all husked foods need to be de-husked for your body to be able to absorb the nutrition of the item inside...

you can chew as much as you want...unless youre a cow...(not meant to be rude)...and can chew for hours on end, youre not going to breakup the corn's outer husk!

abrennan
Oct 1st, 2005, 07:53 AM
thats what i thought too mophoto! :o

i would assume that the only reason that a person would say that corn has no nutritional value is because in kernel form it passes dirctly thou your body (as you guys have said)...

all husked foods need to be de-husked for your body to be able to absorb the nutrition of the item inside...

you can chew as much as you want...unless youre a cow...(not meant to be rude)...and can chew for hours on end, youre not going to breakup the corn's outer husk!

Are you talking about corn (maize) or something else. No-one would try and eat corn without removing the covering. But the yellow corn inside is easy to chew. raw or cooked. Mooooo:)

mophoto
Oct 18th, 2005, 06:28 AM
does anyone else love corn nuts?? they are my fav. junk food

other hate the strong smell. compared to burnt hair:)

tipsy
Oct 18th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Are you talking about corn (maize) or something else. No-one would try and eat corn without removing the covering. But the yellow corn inside is easy to chew. raw or cooked. Mooooo:)
i guess husk was the wrong word, i was looking for seed or shell or something...

the covering on the actual corn kernal is not digestable!

lolamako
Oct 23rd, 2005, 05:06 AM
MMMM, try your corn with earth balance, lemon juice and sea salt.

Or,we used to buy this from street vendors that came by our house when we wernt vegan:

Fresh cooked corn, sprayed with lemon juice, slathered with vegan mayo, and rolled in shredded vegan gourmet.

The original was rolled in a crumbly mexican cheese Queso Fresco, andSprinkled with chili powder.

mophoto
Oct 23rd, 2005, 05:12 AM
MMMM, try your corn with earth balance, lemon juice and sea salt.

Or,we used to buy this from street vendors that came by our house when we wernt vegan:

Fresh cooked corn, sprayed with lemon juice, slathered with vegan mayo, and rolled in shredded vegan gourmet.

The original was rolled in a crumbly mexican cheese Queso Fresco, andSprinkled with chili powder.

sounds awsome! i'll try the lemon juice, sea salt and earth balance on the grill, if we still have fresh corn