PDA

View Full Version : Stroud / Gloucester

tigerbabe
Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:38 AM
I'm going to be in the area for a few weeks and was wondering if there are any places I should know about??

Gliondrach
Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:44 PM
I'm sure that you will be pleased to know that the cloth mills in Stroud produced the famous Stroudwater Scarlet. The colour of the tunics of the British Army from the days before we let the American rebels win their war - so that we wouldn't have to go on supporting and protecting them - right up to the end of the nineteenth century and beyond. There was a time when the words 'Stroudwater Scarlet' tripped off the tongue as easily and readily as did 'Lincoln Green' or 'Pondicherry Purple'.

englishvegoboi
Oct 3rd, 2005, 05:16 PM
Stroud is a haven for veggie cuisine but Gloucester is a little trickier, though it has been a few years since I was there. When you are in Stroud, check out Woodruffs towards the top of the high street. It is a 100% organic cafe and it is very vegan friendly (at least it was). There are other vegan friendly cafes there too. Go to http://www.stroudtown.com and click on the cafes link for more information. I hope this is of some use to you. I live in Adelaide now and haven't been to Stroud since turning vegan. It was easy eating vegetarian food there. I would be interested to know how you get on. There are a couple of good Indian restauarants in Stroud too and I know they are (or were) vegan friendly.

PinkLogik
Oct 1st, 2008, 08:24 PM
Can anyone please update this thread with any info on vegan friendly places in Gloucester itself? Restaurants would be great, though take aways could be good, and pubs too!

veganbikerboy
Oct 1st, 2008, 08:27 PM
my understanding is that Gloucester is pretty rubbish!! I think there is a place in stroud

have a look here -

www.vegan3counties.org.uk (http://www.vegan3counties.org.uk)

seitan
Oct 1st, 2008, 08:48 PM
there have been two veg chinese places in gloster but both have closed down.
the only place im told about that is vegan freindly is actually outside gloster in neqwent, but i cant remember what the place is called!!

there is one pub in stroud that is vegan freidnly, but again, i cant remember its name as ive never been in it! its called something wired like "anise and ******"

PinkLogik
Oct 1st, 2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks veganbikerboy, was just about to pm you for help. I did check the website a few weeks ago, but no real joy, apart from a sandwich bar. Thank you anyway.

KayJay
Oct 1st, 2008, 08:54 PM
Gloucester is truly rubbish for vegans we don't even have a veggie restaurant which is pretty poor for a city! Stroud is much better! Had lunch in Woodruffs today & it was delicious as ever and with so much choice it takes ages to decide!

Pinklogic - in Gloucester there is a Thai restaurant on Park Road called the "Bangkok in UK", if you ask they will cook you anything from the menu with tofu instead of the usual ingredients - you just need to explain what you can't eat & they are very accommodating. Then there is "Peppers" on Westgate Street which is a sandwich bar that apparently serves vegan options but am not sure of exact details as I've never tried it.

Indian restaurants are usually understanding and the Balti King on Bristol Road is good for take-aways. Again you will need to explain what you can't eat when you order.

The Cross Keys Inn on Cross Keys Lane - if you ask they will do you a hummous & roasted veg panini (or a jacket spud which I recommend as they're done in a proper spud oven!)

That's about all I can think of at the mo but will update if I can think of any others....

PinkLogik
Oct 1st, 2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks KayJay, very useful.