PDA

View Full Version : coconut cream pie

foxytina_69
Oct 5th, 2005, 10:49 AM
i got this recipe from my 'everyday vegan' book by dreena burton.

i didnt use the original crust, as i cant have oats. i used a different one. ill post that one aswell. heres the original recipe.

crust: (or u can use a premade crust)

-1 1/4 cup ground oats (she says she grinds quick oats until they reach a coarse flour consistency)
-1/2 cup quick oats
-3 tablespoons honey option as she calls it (which can be brown rice syrup, barley malt, or agave nectar)
-2 tablespoons maple syrup
-1-1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
-few good pinches sea salt

filling:

-1 300 gram package of soft tofu (roughly 1 1/4 cups)
-1 cup low fat coconut milk (i used full fat coconut milk)
-1/4 cup unrefined sugar
-2 tablespoons maple syrup
-3 tablespoons arrowroot flour (i used cornstarch in place of this, but next time ill use an extra tablespoon)
-couple pinches sea salt
-3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
-1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
-1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of coconut extract (i didnt use this and it came out fine)

if making pie crust:

preheat oven to 350 degrees. in a bowl, combine ingredients and mix well, using your fingers to reach a crumbly texture that sticks together somewhat when pressed. press mixture into a 9 inch pie pan. bake for 10-13 minutes until golden around the edges. remove from oven and let cool.

for the filling:

in a food proccessor or blender, combine tofu, coconut milk, sugar, maple syrup, arrowroot flour, and salt, and puree until smooth. transfer mixture to a saucepan and stir in coconut. over medium heat, slowly bring mixture to a thick slow boil, stirring frequently. remove from heat, stir in vanilla and coconut extracts. let cool, uncovered, stirring occasionally for ten minutes. cover pot to cool completely (will take over an hour, refrigerate to cool more quickly) pour mixture into pie crust, and refrigerate to set.

i actually just threw it in the freezer for a while until cool, and then poured it in the pie crust, and threw it back in the freezer until set lol. it was faster that way.

this is the pie crust i used:

6 ounces animal crackers

2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

4 tablespoons vegan butter melted and cooled

process first three ingredients until crumbly. pour into bowl and add butter. mix until moistened and press into pie pin. bake for 10-15 minutes.

i used gluten free cookies for this. it turned out great.

my boyfriend and sister LOVED this pie. it was fabulous.

abrennan
Oct 5th, 2005, 10:52 AM
MMMmmmm thanks:D

foxytina_69
Oct 5th, 2005, 10:57 AM
oh, and i had to use a little bit extra ingredients for the pie crust. i had to use about 8 ounces of cookies instead but with the same amount of butter. :)

soylatte_au
Oct 6th, 2005, 07:17 AM
mmmmm! Thanks foxytina. We eat gluten free too, so I have to adapt many a dessert recipe.

Can I ask what you think of the rest of Everyday Vegan's recipes? I was thinking of getting it and Vive Le Vegan as I've heard that Dreena gives gluten free options and doesn't rely too heavily on soy products.

foxytina_69
Oct 6th, 2005, 08:38 AM
i realllllllly like her recipes. all of them have turned out great. u should try this recipe i posted from her cookbook. its mexican tofu tacos. my boyfriend and i eat it atleast once a week now because its SO good.

http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4535&highlight=mexican+tofu+tacos

LittleNellColumbia
Oct 6th, 2005, 08:40 AM
OOOh yummy foxy thanks! I have a love/hate realationship with coconut....so yummy.....so many calories.....:p

vjonnyv
Oct 6th, 2005, 10:03 PM
I was under the impression that most animal crackers weren't O.K. for vegans. I think they have milk in them? I could be wrong but that's what my research has indicated.

foxytina_69
Oct 6th, 2005, 11:04 PM
that recipe wasnt originally vegan. i veganized it. by animal crackers, i just meant any cracker/cookie thats vegan. :)

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 7th, 2005, 12:58 AM
OOOh yummy foxy thanks! I have a love/hate realationship with coconut....so yummy.....so many calories.....:p

Coconut (oil and flesh) is rich in caprylic and lauric acids and assists in a properly running metabolism. It is also anti-fungal and anti-bacterial.

soylatte_au
Oct 7th, 2005, 09:39 AM
i realllllllly like her recipes. all of them have turned out great. u should try this recipe i posted from her cookbook. its mexican tofu tacos. my boyfriend and i eat it atleast once a week now because its SO good.

http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4535&highlight=mexican+tofu+tacos

Thanks foxy! I'm getting a little fed up of hit and miss recipes.

LittleNellColumbia
Oct 7th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Coconut (oil and flesh) is rich in caprylic and lauric acids and assists in a properly running metabolism. It is also anti-fungal and anti-bacterial.

Cheers CC, one thing i did know whas the thing about the metabolism;)
But still.....so many calories.....:D

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 7th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Cheers CC, one thing i did know whas the thing about the metabolism;)
But still.....so many calories.....:D

Great! So you know then, that it can actually help one burn fat and that the calories are of little significance?

LittleNellColumbia
Oct 7th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Great! So you know then, that it can actually help one burn fat and that the calories are of little significance?

No, actually. I was under the impression that calories are calories, and a surplus of them, in any form or from any source, leads to fat gain. But thanks for the info, now i know better.

foxytina_69
Oct 7th, 2005, 10:17 PM
healthy fat and calories actually help u to lose weight. like nuts aswell.

moochbabe
Oct 8th, 2005, 01:19 AM
also, for most vegans, sat fat intake is necessary, and coconut helps with that...btw i can't wait to try the recipe!!