PDA

View Full Version : Sesame Oil

Mystic
Oct 7th, 2005, 07:31 AM
This is my new love, ever since America. It is a dream with green vegetables, like kale and broccoli, with soy sauce and chilli flakes.

foxytina_69
Oct 7th, 2005, 07:32 AM
thats what i always use in my stirfries :) u should look up cc's goddess dressing. if u love tahini and sesame oil, ud love that dressing.

abrennan
Oct 7th, 2005, 07:39 AM
We use it lot at my house, we learned it from asian recipes and friends

specially toasted sesame oil, its darker and more smoke flavoured

What's that Kale business banana, have you come back with a 'merican accent and all. What is kale?

green Antony veggie

Roxy
Oct 7th, 2005, 08:28 AM
I used to love to stir fry spinach in sesame oil and then sprinkle with sesame seeds. Mmmmmm yum - I haven't made that for ages!!

Mr Flibble
Oct 7th, 2005, 08:29 AM
kale is a type of cabbage.

I get through lots of sesame oil, recently though the stuff i've been buying has come with a drip cap so you have to shake the bottle to get any out. I've got loads of similarly shapped bottles and the other day I zombily got it out, openned it and shock half a bottle of mirin into my wok :D

Mystic
Oct 7th, 2005, 08:41 AM
We use it lot at my house, we learned it from asian recipes and friends

specially toasted sesame oil, its darker and more smoke flavoured

What's that Kale business banana, have you come back with a 'merican accent and all. What is kale?

green Antony veggie

I buy kale from organic grocers. You can only buy kale in Australia if it is organic for some reason.

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 7th, 2005, 08:46 AM
I get through lots of sesame oil, recently though the stuff i've been buying has come with a drip cap so you have to shake the bottle to get any out. I've got loads of similarly shapped bottles and the other day I zombily got it out, openned it and shock half a bottle of mirin into my wok :D

I have done that!!! Also, I have had the top of various items come all the way off, resulting in my dumping 1/2 a bottle of <insert condiment here> into my pan!

Yoggy
Mar 12th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I'm bumping this thread because I have almost a full bottle of sesame oil that's going to expire soon! It's unrefined and isn't good for high heat.

So, anyone have some good recipes that use sesame oil (that don't involve using it for sauteeing at high heats, etc)? I have several recipes, like the Spicy Almond Stir-fry (see recipe section), and Sun-dried Tomato Soup from Garden of Vegan. Oh and CC's goddess dressing, YUM! But most of these recipes use only a tablespoon or 2, and I have about 1.5 cups left to use up. So post your sesame oil recipes here please!

Tigerlily
Mar 13th, 2008, 01:38 AM
It's good for dry hair, I heard. :)

Yoggy
Mar 13th, 2008, 01:54 AM
It's good for dry hair, I heard. :)

:eek: I'd better rinse well after or I'd stink like sesame all day!

Risker
Mar 13th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I'm sure it'll last a long time past it's expiry date, i'd just use it in stir fries or as a salad dressing.

Glossgirl
Mar 13th, 2008, 10:09 AM
:eek: I'd better rinse well after or I'd stink like sesame all day!

I tried it :) ... I only used a small amount ... a tablespoon or two. Used it as a haircure over night and washed it away with shampoo the next day

... got compliments for having shiny and soft hair the next days :)

ellaminnowpea
Mar 14th, 2008, 05:18 PM
This is my new love, ever since America.

hehe at least your time in America was worthwhile...:D

I keep thinking of that musical where the Mexicans are dancing and singing about America, America!! I can't remember what its called lol.

I love sesame oil for my stirfry dishes as well.

Aradia
Mar 14th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Sesame oil lasts such a long time ... when you stir fry you need only add a small amount to flavour it, rather than using it as your only oil.

I've used olive oil in my hair, but never sesame. I think the smell would keep me awake!

I love to use it in a marinade for tofu.

It has such a wonderful, rich, earthy aroma.

Sticky .. . how come you discovered it in the Americas?

cobweb
Mar 14th, 2008, 07:52 PM
i bought this once to use for nasal massage, as recommended in Ayurvedic medicine. it was horrendous! - the smell, and it burned my nose :eek:!. i'll never buy the stuff again :o.

Yoggy
Mar 14th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Sesame oil lasts such a long time ...

My sesame oil is raw and unrefined, which is why it has an expiration date. It's not meant for high temperatures, so I wouldn't want to use it for stir frying.

Aradia
Mar 15th, 2008, 08:38 AM
My sesame oil is raw and unrefined, which is why it has an expiration date. It's not meant for high temperatures, so I wouldn't want to use it for stir frying.

I meant a bottle lasts a long time as you only need a few drops because it is so powerful.

When using it in a stir fry, you don't do the actual cooking with sesame oil ... you stir in a little bit just as you're about to serve it ... so you don't cook with it, it just flavours the food.

fondducoeur
Mar 15th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I use it regularly in a marinade I use for tofu: add a tbsp of toasted sesame oil (although I have used the non-toasted) with soy sauce, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, ginger, garlic, and a bit of water. Its delicious.
I also like to make a one-pot dish with cooked udon noodles, adding carrots and fresh green beens towards the end of the cooking time, then tossing with sesame seeds, soy sauce, and a bit of sesame oil.

Yoggy
Mar 15th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I meant a bottle lasts a long time as you only need a few drops because it is so powerful.

Oops sorry, I misunderstood!

Yes I suppose I could do the actual stir frying in water or broth, then add the oil after. Thanks for the tip!

Mr Flibble
Mar 16th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Stir boiling?

Est
Mar 16th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I also like to make a one-pot dish with cooked udon noodles, adding carrots and fresh green beens towards the end of the cooking time, then tossing with sesame seeds, soy sauce, and a bit of sesame oil.
You just inspired my Sunday lunch, fondducoeur :)
I'd bought some udon noodles from a health food store a while back and then never used them.
So udon noodles, carrot sticks, green pepper sticks, courgette slices went into a stir fry tossed with sesame oil, sesame seeds and japanese soy sauce. Yum!
The best thing is that I read your post and 10 mins later I was eating the results!! :p