PDA

View Full Version : Instead of dairy products

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

fragrantfree
Oct 17th, 2005, 10:31 AM
I'm trying to become a vegan, done a lot of reading, trying to educate myself - I've started with removing dairy products... milk.

So far, I have tried 'sogood' soya milk which was vile and 'alpro' soya sweetened milk, and although alpro seems to be slightly better than the 'sogood' it's vile too. In fact, it made me feel quite sickly. :( Soya milk seems to have an after taste - can anyone recommend a milk substitute without an obvious after taste?

I can do without drinking milk neat, I can drink water - I can do with out having it on cereal, I can eat cereal dry - but I do like milk in tea and coffee, I'm not a black tea or coffee drinker.

Wendy :)

Gliondrach
Oct 17th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Have you tried almond milk or rice milk?

There are many brands of soya milk. I prefer the unsweetened. Many supermarkets sell their own brands.

As I said, in your other thread, it might take time to get used to a different taste. You've been drinking cows' milk all your life and, as milk is very mucous forming, it can affect your sense of taste.

Pob
Oct 17th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Try choosing a non-sweetened soya milk, with no flavouring. They are pretty neutral tasting.
Asda or Granose do varieties like that. They work really well on cereal.

For tea or coffee, you could try switching to green tea, herb tea, fruit tea.
None of those have milk added to them, and they are better for you than black tea and coffee. At first they may seem a little tasteless, but keep up with them, and you'll probably get into them.

fragrantfree
Oct 17th, 2005, 11:07 AM
I've only ever had cows milk (as far as I know), and for a long time now, semi skimmed - only recently tried the two products stated in my first posting.

I'm off to the health food shop shortly, hopefully they'll have something else that I can try, I know I have to persevere and keep trying, I'm sure I will dfind something that will suit me.

I never thought about trying herb teas etc. will see what I can find whilst out today and give something a try.

Wendy :)

FR
Oct 17th, 2005, 11:32 AM
I am surprised that you can taste a soymilk "aftertaste" when only using a small amount in your tea and coffee. I personally love the taste of soymilk and never noticed anything other than a good "aftertaste". I do remember cow milk having a nasty, filmy, sour, aftertaste but that is probably because it is naturally designed for calves and humans aren't supposed to drink it anyway. I hope you find something vegan you like!

gertvegan
Oct 17th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Maybe the Soya milk (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312), Soymilk Brands (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2639), and the Moo juice? No thanks. So whats your flavour ? (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997) threads will be of some help fragrantfree. ;)

fragrantfree
Oct 17th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Welllllll, I went into the health food shop and bought a very small handsize carton of organic rice milk - thumbsup! :D I've found my milk substitute! Should have bought a bigger carton lol

Gliondrach
Oct 17th, 2005, 02:24 PM
So, you've tasted it? And you like it?

fragrantfree
Oct 17th, 2005, 02:27 PM
So, you've tasted it? And you like it?

Yep, made a cup of tea with it... I can tell it's not what I'm used to, but I like it - not tasted it neat, that might be a different outcome but not too bothered about drinking it like that :)

Camyle26
Oct 17th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Another great dairy replacement is FLAX MEAL for eggs. It works well in baking products like cupcakes, muffins, etc. :)

Gliondrach
Oct 17th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Wendy, once you get used to rice milk you might find that you like soya, especially on cereals and porridge. It's cheaper than the rice milk.

fragrantfree
Oct 17th, 2005, 02:44 PM
I used to eat eggs until recently, the one's that are supposed to be cruelty free, but no more. Cheese, as of yesterday, is off my diet list too. I do like cheese a lot, but I can live without it - I have just bought some Redwood cheese (not tasted it yet though).

I'm not really a big yogurt eater but have found a subsitute for yogurt/dairy deserts which is the Alpro yogurt alternative and I really, really thought I was going to hate it, I couldn't even put the spoon in my mouth at first but I shouldn't have worried, they are lovely, especially the peach flavour, very yummy! :D

Onwards and upwards - I felt the dairy products were going to be the hardest to eradicate from my diet, but since I have found an alternative milk, I feel I'm on a roll :D

Gliondrach
Oct 17th, 2005, 02:48 PM
That's good. There are so many people who don't realise that you don't have to give up tasty food to become vegan. Tell everyone you know about your new discoveries and you might help someone else to make a change.

We are always here to help, so if you want to know anything, just ask.

Good luck.

Pob
Oct 17th, 2005, 02:52 PM
The Alpro yoghurts are very yummy. I wish I could find the plain in smaller tubs as it is good for making dips, but I can never eat a huge tub.

These are great, too. http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/661545.html
Caramel is the best flavour - the others are not as good.
You can find it in supermarkets as well as health food shops - it isn't usually in the chillers.

Swedish Glace ice cream in caramel and raspberry are superb. Vanilla wasn't so much to my liking. Supermarkets only tend to stock vanilla.

fragrantfree
Oct 17th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Oooo, don't tempt me with all the deserts lol I see they do the rice milk too.

puffin
Oct 17th, 2005, 09:01 PM
When i first tried soya milk i thought "thats a bit nasty but i will have to get used to it because im vegan now". I am glad you have found a taste you like but i think you would find it easier if you didnt compare dairy to the substitutes or you may continue to be dissapointed.

fragrantfree
Oct 17th, 2005, 09:27 PM
It's only natural that I'm going to compare, how can I not - comparing one product against another product, whatever the products, isn't going to change how I taste something. So far, the soya milk products I have tasted have been vile and something that I would not get used to, this has nothing to do with comparing these products with other products. So, for me, it's not a case of having to get used to it because I'm vegan now, I just wouldn't have it in my diet. :D

eclectic_one
Oct 17th, 2005, 09:33 PM
I have to admit that soy milk is OK for me in cereal, but I can't really drink it (I notice the aftertaste you're talking about too). I have liked some soymilk drinks though, like the boathouse farms chai tea and silk coffee-flavored. I couldn't stand the silk (soy) creamer, but now I'm drinking Rich's non-dairy creamer in my tea. I definitely feel better off dairy though:cool:

puffin
Oct 17th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Fair enough. All i am saying is just dont expect the substitutes to taste like the dairy version. I am glad you have found a milk substitute you like ;)

fragrantfree
Oct 17th, 2005, 09:43 PM
It is hard to change, I've been drinking dairy milk for so long now, that soya milk after taste stayed with me right through the night, but I did try and perservere with it and had it again the next morning in my tea, and tried it in coffee too, but it really made me gag - there are so many alternatives out there, I have time to try them all and in the meantime, stick with the rice milk ;o))

I tried Redwood cheddar style cheesy garlic and herb today, it was nice, tasty.

Camyle26
Oct 17th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Silk Soy Creamer for coffee is great.......... better than regular milk in coffee. Meaning: regular PLAIN soy milk, or rice milk, etc.

eclectic_one
Oct 17th, 2005, 09:54 PM
when I was trying to go vegan and I found the taste weird in my tea (I don't drink coffee, it might be OK in that since I like silk coffee flavored milk):( That's why I switched to Rich's non-dairy creamer, even though it's not as healthy as soy.

Camyle26
Oct 17th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Ohhhh I see how that could be gross! I don't drink milk in tea, and i cant imagine creamer being good in it. haha.

puffin
Oct 17th, 2005, 10:14 PM
I tried Redwood cheddar style cheesy garlic and herb today, it was nice, tasty.

I have never tried the garlic and herb one. The melting one is quite nice on jacket potatoes and pizza. It stops the veg from slipping of the pizza and landing on your chin and causing second degree burns ;)

Troutina
Oct 17th, 2005, 10:29 PM
I have never actually tried Soya or Rice milk on its own, but I do prefer Soya on my cereal as its slightly thicker. Rice is quite watery I think. Which is a shame because I wanted to reduce the amount of Soya I eat/drink.

I tried Cheezly, the one you get in supermarkets. I think its Cheddar Style.
Probably the most disgusting thing I've ever had..!
I'm going to buy some of the Mozzerella Cheezly when I get paid, I've been recommended that for pizzas.

And is it Tofutti who make a Philaedelphia-style cheese?