PDA

View Full Version : Vegetable smoothies - is that possible?

Pob
Oct 17th, 2005, 04:49 PM
We are kind of thinking of buying a juicer, but it seems like a lot to pay, and smoothies are healthier than juice. The only things we would likely juice would be vegetables, then add that juice to a smoothy.

Is it possible to make smoothies with raw cabbage, broccoli etc in? Or do they end up too lumpy? I suppose I could do that and then strain out any lumps.

Any thoughts?

Mr Flibble
Oct 17th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Is it possible to make smoothies with raw cabbage, broccoli etc in?

:eek: broccoli smoothies :eek:

Any thoughts?

Stay calm, don't make any sudden movements. Pick up your phone, dial 999 and ask to be committed.

peaches22
Oct 17th, 2005, 04:59 PM
That doesn't sound very good, unless you're talking about something gazpachoish, but what do I know? :)

DianeVegan
Oct 17th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Maybe wheat grass - but raw broccoli or cabbage? Just hope I'm not in line behind you in a store!

Pob
Oct 17th, 2005, 05:06 PM
I was planning on mixing them with some fruit, too.

You never had raw broccoli? It's fine with dips and stuff.
Raw cabbage is in coleslaw.

Problem is that I don't eat enough dark green veg, so I thought a smoothy would be a perfect place to add some in. It would just be cheaper for me (and maybe healthier) if it could be liquidised rather than juiced.

Pob
Oct 17th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Oh ye of little faith.

Check this smoothie recipe out.

1-2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (or balsamic vinegar)
1-2 cloves raw garlic
4 tbsp Picante salsa
1/2 cup raw hulled sunflower seeds
1 cup raw broccoli
1/2 cup raw un-hulled sesame seeds*
1 raw tomato quartered
1/2 tsp Red Star T-6635+ yeast**
1/2 raw carrot cut into 1" pieces
1-2 slices onion
1 cup raw kale (or any other leafy green)

300% of your daily RDA of fibre in that one :eek:
Should come with a keep away from naked flames health warning.

Found some other raw vegetable based smoothies to try, too. Let's hope the liquidiser is up to the challenge:D
Not to mention my underwear :eek:

DianeVegan
Oct 17th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Lol :)

FR
Oct 17th, 2005, 06:57 PM
I've made a smoothie with carrot, ginger, apple juice, orange juice, and ice before. I guess that is a semi-veggie smoothie. :p

Troub
Dec 5th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Tip: Freeze the fruits you are going to smoothie up first, and you can use less, or no, ice. Makes the smoothie thicker!

<3

alekolu
Dec 5th, 2005, 06:50 AM
I always throw things like carrots and spinach into my regular fruit smoothies to give it a little more nutrition, and you could probably do the same with broccoli or cabbage. If there's enough fruit in there to balance it out, it still tastes good and sweet to me.

Seaside
Dec 5th, 2005, 07:37 AM
They are called liquid salads in the raw food community. :)

coconut
Mar 31st, 2006, 07:21 PM
I've just made a semi-vegetable smoothie using 3 carrots, apple juice and a dash of cinnamon. All I can say is it needs work :D I think it tastes ok but if you tried to sell it in a juice bar you'd be out of business in half an hour!

spockafina
Apr 1st, 2006, 06:39 AM
Green smoothies are great... so long as you add plenty of fruit. Bananas add great texture and sweetness. Soaked dates also add some sweetness to counteract the bitterness of the veggies. Fresh OJ, too.

I love Kale, Bananas, and strawberries or blueberries
and Celery, Kiwi, and bananas.

Oh... they always taste better with a tablespoon or so of extra-virgin cold-pressed Coconut Oil - it adds a nice creamy flavour that makes a huge difference

tipsy
Apr 1st, 2006, 07:12 AM
i often juice spinach, broccoli, peppers, and other green or colorful veggies...

i have never added them to smoothies... but i bet that bluberries would go great with dark green veggies... add some soymilk or almond milk....

mmmmmm

sounds good

i may have to try!:D

tabitha
Apr 1st, 2006, 07:46 AM
Im not quite sure why. Im having trouble thinking of veggies in a smoothie. I drink a lot of carrot, celery, pepper and cucumber in a juice, but the word smoothie conjers up lovely thick milkshake looking stuff, not rank green liquid. I will certainly give it a try though.

cedarblue
Apr 1st, 2006, 09:11 AM
in my juicing book it recommends that the only sweetener one should add to vegetable juices is apple and carrot the other way way round to fruit ones. not sure why, perhaps its something to do with the digestion and absoption of either type of juice/smoothie.

all combinations are possible of course, but whether they all taste good is another thing:rolleyes:

i will try to find out in my book why the recommendation for apple/carrot only....