PDA

View Full Version : Juices from Concentrate

Pages : 1 [2] 3

RedWellies
Jan 17th, 2006, 05:38 PM
I wonder about orange juice...even if labeled vegan the fruit may still have been waxed. Presumably the peel doen't end up in the juice so from a dietry viewpoint the juice is vegan.
I've sent an email to Del Monte to ask. Although I have no idea about their company ethics.

Artichoke47
Jan 17th, 2006, 05:58 PM
I bought a juicer and love it. Cantelope juice is better than...well, lots of things.

Jacqui
Jan 18th, 2006, 02:17 AM
Makes my boycott list shorter/easier when major players on it merge. Soon I'll only hafta boycott McUniGapKlineGamble and it'll all be simple :)
So true. So funny.:D :D

Juice
Jan 18th, 2006, 02:47 AM
Just have to say that I am not from concentrate, and am definitely unfiltered. :rolleyes:

thecatspajamas1
Jan 18th, 2006, 02:56 AM
Does anyone know if juices from concentrate are Vegan friendly? I was looking at Pom brand juice yesterday at the store and noticed that it was from juice and concentrate.

POM brand juice tests on animals! http://www.pomwonderful.com/lipoprotein_oxidation.html

Maisiepaisie
Jan 18th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Well all this has made me even more wary of what I drink. Why they need to take a perfectly good vegan fruit and make it non vegan is beyond me. I'd like to meet whoever came up with the crazy idea of coating fruit in insect secretions and I'd tell them exactly what I think of them! :mad:

I wouldn't have thought I need to check the labels on pure fruit juice. Even Tesco organic juice mentions something about non organic aromas added, whatever that means :confused: I finally bought 100% pure organic apple juice from the Organic Juice Co (not from concentrate, yay!!) Very expensive but worth it!

Mr Flibble
Jan 18th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Why they need to take a perfectly good vegan fruit and make it non vegan is beyond me

It makes it more shiny. People in the UK have extremely high standards when it comes to fruit all looking identical and asthetically pleasing, even if that perfect stereotype of what fruit should look like is made up. In other countries they simply don't bother, but here they do it because it sells more. Profit - pure and simple.

Leo
Jan 19th, 2006, 11:02 PM
i recieved this reply from my email to Asda regarding their juices

Thank you for your message.

Thank you for your email.

I now have a response from our Technical Manager which is as follows -

I can confirm that all the pure fruit juices from concentrate are free from
shellac and gelatine. Neither shellac or gelatine are used in the processing in
any of the juices used in our pure fruit juices from concentrate.

I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. I hope we can look
forward to serving you again soon in one of our ASDA stores.

Kind Regards
Gaynor Lawton
ASDA Customer Relations

Span
Jan 19th, 2006, 11:17 PM
I've sent an email to Del Monte to ask. Although I have no idea about their company ethics.

http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/magazine/buyers/fruitjuice/fruitjuice.htm#delmonte

Pilaf
Jan 20th, 2006, 12:24 AM
*sigh* I do buy a lot of orange juice from concentrate.

It's a budget thing. If I were a multimillionaire with endless capital for spending, I'd be able to be more of a true vegan.

Tigerlily
Jan 20th, 2006, 12:40 AM
How would you be a true vegan?

tipsy
Jan 20th, 2006, 04:00 AM
POM brand juice tests on animals! http://www.pomwonderful.com/lipoprotein_oxidation.html
im crying right now!:(

what a shitload!:mad:

i was laughing the otherday when my roommate showed me that the side of her Wallgreens brand cranberry juice said vegan on the side of it.

now maybe ill have to end up drinking that shiiiit!

sorry, im rather pissed about poms bad news.

tipsy
Jan 20th, 2006, 04:00 AM
guess whos getting a strongly worder letter????

RedWellies
Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:29 PM
Thanks for that link, Span.

I wrote to Tesco about their juice. Here's their response...

Please can you tell me if the fruit used for your fruit juices has been waxed with shellac or any other animal derivative?
Also, have any of the juices been filtered using gelatine
Answer:

No to all parts of the question

RedWellies
Jan 24th, 2006, 05:21 PM
This is Del Monte's response for juices in the UK and Europe...
Currently Del Monte does not have any fresh juice in its range. All our juices are heat treated prior to filling. However if we do enter the fresh juice market the raw materials would be prepared the same way as for UHT packed juices.

We confirm that none of our juices are made with any animal products at any stage. The filling of the clear juices is done by ultrafiltration.

All our juices are suitable for vegans and any new ones introduced would be done so that they still comply with this requirement.

The above applies to all juices under our label produced in the UK and sold in Europe.

RedWellies
Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:49 PM
I contacted Britvic to ask about their juices. Here's the reply...

We would like to inform you that we take our guidelines from the Vegan Society , who state on their website that:

A vegan eats a plant-based diet free from all animal products, including milk, eggs and honey. Most vegans do not wear leather, wool or silk.

In addition to this we ask our suppliers to confirm the suitability of our ingredients for a number of dietary requirements (including Veganism).

Our records currently show that the following products are not suitable for a Vegan diet, based on data received from suppliers and the statement from the Vegan Society as shown above.

Purdey's Activation
Purdey's Rejuvenation
Robinsons For Milk Strawberry & Raspberry (regular and NAS)
Robinsons For Milk Fruity Banana (regular and NAS)

Our fruit expert has now spoken to our suppliers and has been advised that the majority of the clarified juice we purchase is clarified using an ultrafiltration technique, however in exceptional circumstances our suppliers reserve the right to clarify by using gelatine as a processing aid.

That last bit is no good
:mad:

Elektra
Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:36 PM
i recently found out that orange and apple juice is not vegan....? it contains shellac coated fruit (ground up beetle backs) they use this to give the fruit a shine:confused: if yu are a juice drinker or an apple eater like me then stick to organic juice and fruit.... which is shellac free.....:)

Lyns
Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:41 PM
Organic doesn't always mean it is shellac free! You have to ask your supplier.

You can also get fruit juices which are shellac free, I don't have a list off the top of my head, but you can write to the manufacturer.

Maisiepaisie
Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:00 PM
I've always assumed organic meant shellac free, at least in the UK :confused:

Jane M
Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:05 PM
That's what I thought also.

Artichoke47
Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:06 PM
Most orange and apple juices in the US are filtered with gelatin.

Risker
Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:07 PM
I don't understand why they'd shellac the fruit if they were going to juice it... Never thought about it before.

Found this website: http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/sect/DFJ.html

Lyns
Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:12 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, sorry! I just looked at my book about food labels (v interesting) and it says only 30 additives are allowed in organic food (in the uk) and shellac (E904) isn't on that list.

tipsy
Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:56 PM
what book is that?

sounds like good stuff!:D

Lyns
Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:17 PM
L is for labels by Amanda Ursell apparently the uk's "leading nutritionist" but I've never heard of her. It's an ok book, it's aimed at absolute beginners and goes over the basic laws about food labelling. It makes you think about how foods are marketed, often as healthy options when they're not really. However, a lot of it is a case of stating the bleeding obvious and all of the info I'm sure you can find on the internet for free, otherwise get it from your library rather than buying it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1401903657/qid=1140635603/sr=8-8/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i8_xgl/026-9141973-2034012