PDA

View Full Version : Juices from Concentrate

Pages : [1] 2 3

DC
Oct 19th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Does anyone know if juices from concentrate are Vegan friendly? I was looking at Pom brand juice yesterday at the store and noticed that it was from juice and concentrate. It seems like since its made partially from concentrate that it would have refined sugar in it. Could anyone clear this up for me? Also if they are not safe, can someone give me a few examples of juices that are ok?

Mr Flibble
Oct 19th, 2005, 03:19 PM
concentrated just means that they extract the water in the country where the fruit is picked, then re-add it where it's sold. It's cheaper, and one could argue it's better for the environment as it saves shipping water around the world. Whether or not the jucie is vegan or not depends really on what pesticides were used and whether the fruit had shellec added before being juiced, but that applies to fresh juice produced by your local farm as much as it does fruit grown on the other side of the world

Pob
Oct 19th, 2005, 03:27 PM
I would say it would be very unlikely that shellac would be used, as the fruit would likely be grown for the express purpose of juicing it.

Mr Flibble
Oct 19th, 2005, 03:42 PM
I would say it would be very unlikely that shellac would be used

Co-op own brand fresh juice (apple, orange and a few others) has a warning on the back saying it isn't vegan because shellec is sometimes used. I have to confess to not being a juice industry expert (:)), but it may be more common than you think. I guess some importers prepare fruit to be sold whole, then juice it instead if it doesn't get to shops in time. Some companies may also shellec all their stuff destined to be sold whole, then some of the fruit is picked out in the quality checking process (which in the UK is highly rigerous) and juiced.

Artichoke47
Oct 19th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Actually, juices nowadays are sometimes filtered with gelatin. For example, apple juice SHOULD be cloudy, and if it's not, it was filtered with gelatin. I have heard that 75% of OJ is filtered using gelatin. Write to the company and find out.

I would worry more about that than a wax that was used on the skin of the fruit.

Lily
Oct 19th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Co-op own brand fresh juice (apple, orange and a few others) has a warning on the back saying it isn't vegan because shellec is sometimes used.

Their pineapple one is vegan though, and says so on the carton.

Mr Flibble
Oct 19th, 2005, 11:47 PM
For example, apple juice SHOULD be cloudy, and if it's not, it was filtered with gelatin

did you really mean to say "may have been" as opposed to "was"

There's non geletin ways to filter liquids, and I know several brands of non cloudy apple juice that are claimed suitable for vegans by the manufacturer

Artichoke47
Oct 20th, 2005, 01:02 AM
Sure, I'll take that rephrasing! But keep in mind DC is in the US and you are in the UK. In the US, companies tend to bastardize seemingly healthy foods.

Tigerlily
Oct 20th, 2005, 01:38 AM
Shouldn't they say so in their ingredients?

What about people who keep kosher or avoid animal products for other religious reasons too?!!

mophoto
Oct 20th, 2005, 05:29 AM
good grief! the whole concentrate thing confused me before, now i am even more confused after reading this thread. at least now i know it doesn't have sugar...? i haven't been able to find any juice not from concentrate and i really don't want to get a juicer. i really want to make orange juice based smoothies. err

eve
Oct 20th, 2005, 09:45 AM
I wouldn't use concentrate even though it is cheap - too much interference with the product. My preference is for fresh from whole fruit and 100% free from reconstituted juices, and cloudy apple has low GI so is my choice.

DC
Oct 20th, 2005, 09:52 AM
This is awesome, everyone here is so helpful and knowledgeable, hopefully I will be that way soon.

Pob
Oct 20th, 2005, 10:29 AM
I hadn't heard about the gelatin filtering thing :(

I don't get why it needs filtering at all. Squeeze it, pasteurize it (or not), stick it in a carton. How hard can it be?

twinkle
Oct 20th, 2005, 07:46 PM
I would worry more about that than a wax that was used on the skin of the fruit.

You know what shellac is, right? here's a link about production (http://www.willy-benecke.com/shellc_e.htm). I like my juice without insect secretions wherever possible.

Pilaf
Oct 20th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Ugh..light dawns on a marble head. No more store bought juice for me. Not unless I KNOW it's vegan friendly. :(

Artichoke47
Oct 20th, 2005, 11:11 PM
You know what shellac is, right? here's a link about production (http://www.willy-benecke.com/shellc_e.htm). I like my juice without insect secretions wherever possible.

Is that the stuff made from beetles? I don't worry about it - I buy organic, not-from-concentrate juice. I'm really sorry; i don't mean to be rude, but I don't have time to look at the link right now.

Maisiepaisie
Jan 17th, 2006, 02:26 PM
I was just about to pour some apple juice when I noticed it said on the carton "Not suitable for vegans - may contain shellac coated fruit". I never thought about this before but it probably applies to all non organic fruit juice, only the co op are decent enough to say so.

There's nothing in the house to drink now, I guess I'll have to go to Tesco after all :mad:

Mr Flibble
Jan 17th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Is that the stuff made from beetles? I don't worry about it - I buy organic, not-from-concentrate juice. I'm really sorry; i don't mean to be rude, but I don't have time to look at the link right now.

Why is organic fruit less likely to be waxed? I'v certainly seen organic fruit that's waxed in supermarkets

Leo
Jan 17th, 2006, 04:41 PM
i have read this thread several times now and i am none the wiser.... should i drink pure fruit juice or not?? The juice i buy is Asda's own brand Pure orange or Pure Apple from 100% concentrate ( thats what it says on the carton) nothing extra no added, no other ingredients :confused:

Leo xx

Mr Flibble
Jan 17th, 2006, 04:47 PM
The best thing to do is request from asda their vegan products list and check. This thread points out that geletin is sometimes used in fruit juice filtering, although generally not in the UK. It also shows that shellac is coated onto fruit destined to be bought whole, but sometimes that fruit ends up being juiced for whatever reason and as such the juice may contain shellac. Now, coop are willing to say that some of their fresh juice may contain shellac, which is interesting because it makes you think which other supermarkets do the same. Really what it means is that you're always taking a chance, just as you are whenever you see fruit listed as an ingrediant that that fruit was waxed with shellac.

Gorilla
Jan 17th, 2006, 04:51 PM
The best thing to do is request from asda their vegan products list and check. This thread points out that geletin is sometimes used in fruit juice filtering, although generally not in the UK.
i know that Ribena used to be made with gelatine, not that i'd buy it anyway because it's a Smithkline Beecham product. it's not a proper fruit juice either. ;) most supermarkets mark their juices as suitable for vegetarians, but few mention whether they're vegan or the presence of shellac. last time i contacted Asda about their vegan products they didn't seem to know what the word 'vegan' meant... :rolleyes:

Mr Flibble
Jan 17th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Its not smithkline beecham anymore, it's glaxo smithkline. Makes my boycott list shorter/easier when major players on it merge. Soon I'll only hafta boycott McUniGapKlineGamble and it'll all be simple :)

Leo
Jan 17th, 2006, 05:00 PM
The best thing to do is request from asda their vegan products list and check. This thread points out that geletin is sometimes used in fruit juice filtering, although generally not in the UK. It also shows that shellac is coated onto fruit destined to be bought whole, but sometimes that fruit ends up being juiced for whatever reason and as such the juice may contain shellac. Now, coop are willing to say that some of their fresh juice may contain shellac, which is interesting because it makes you think which other supermarkets do the same. Really what it means is that you're always taking a chance, just as you are whenever you see fruit listed as an ingrediant that that fruit was waxed with shellac.

thanks i will do that, it does state suitable for vegetarian but not Vegan, if it does come back as not suitable is anyone aware of any definate brands that are safe?? i dont like to make price an issue but we do get through alot of it in our house....

Leo xx

Mr Flibble
Jan 17th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Co-op non fresh apple and orange juices are labelled vegan. Their fresh pineapple and cranberry juices are labelled vegan also.

Leo
Jan 17th, 2006, 05:20 PM
thanks but we don't have any co-ops by us at all..... i will do some research into it and have emailed Asda,

Leo xx