PDA

View Full Version : Vegan dinner ideas

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25

pavotrouge
Dec 18th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Indian, again, and all free.

A friend of mine is a caterer and celebrated moving to another premise.

fondducoeur
Dec 18th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Last night I made herbed tofu lasagna. It was delicious and I had it for lunch today:)

Tonight I'm going out for veggie sushi, miso soup, and edamame.
I'm excited.

Roxy
Dec 18th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Tonight I'm going to a Vietnamese Vegetarian restaurant for fresh spring rolls, and BBQ "pork" rolls - all with a peanut dipping sauce. I'll have a few cups of green tea with that, no doubt.

Jippia
Dec 19th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I made a kind of stir fry with beans and tomato sauce after a look into my freezer, fridge and pantry. Served with fried potato slices. Quick, easy and tasted well. Tonight I am going to make the Brussels sprouts I wanted to make yesterday. There are not enough for two and I am by myself as my husband has a company dinner at a wok restaurant.

herbwormwood
Dec 19th, 2007, 11:58 AM
A Taifun Tofu Weiner with a Bird's Eye Potato Waffle, half a tin of Co-op organic baked beans and some frozen spinach. It was so nice I am going to have it again tonight. I did a bulk buy on the tofu weiners and later in the week I am going to use some to make a sausage casserole or hot pot.

pavotrouge
Dec 19th, 2007, 09:09 PM
what are Bird's Eye Potato Waffles, or what are potato waffles like in general?
I only know Thai bird's eye/eagle eye chillis.

Risker
Dec 19th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Bird's eye is just a brand, they're waffles made of potatoes, like latticed chips/fries.

http://picnic.ciao.com/uk/9667650.jpg

emmapresley
Dec 19th, 2007, 10:20 PM
"..grill em, bake em, fry em, don't even buy em" - they're waffly versatile

*poop!poop!*

showing here i am a slave to advertising :confused: :o

they're clever buggers those people who do jingles that stick in your head and make you want to buy their stuff they are :mad:

herbwormwood
Dec 20th, 2007, 12:40 PM
I see Bird's Eye are now marketing a fresh-frozen soya bean
http://www.birdseye.co.uk/ourfood/soyabeans/soya-bean-faq.aspx

littlemiss
Apr 16th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Hello, I'm having a friend over for dinner on 4th may who cant eat wheat. Last time she came I did curry so would like to do something different. I enjoy cooking and dont find anything challenging, will cook from scratch if possible but it cant be too expensive. Any suggestions please? I'd be grateful for any inspiration! Thanx

pat sommer
Apr 18th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Mexican!

If your friend likes spicy curries how about tacos con salsa verde?
The green sauce is coriander greens and pumpkin seeds. If there are no maize tortillas to be had then casserole the dish with a topping of polenta baked until crusty.

Sauce can be made ahead:

In a heavy-bottomed sauce pan coated generously with olive oil, saute 1 med chopped onion, 2 or more cloves garlic, and green chili to taste until softened. Stir in 1 tsp each cumin (if whole then 1 1/2) ground coriander, oregano, 1/8 tsp clove and white pepper and 1/2 tsp salt, and handful of raw pumpkin seeds (about 50g). Stir until it smells wonderful and starts to crackle. Next stir in handful of coriander green (supermarket sized bunch, stems too).

Douse with water (or vegie chicken stock) almost to cover and let gently simmer 15 min or more while the filling ingredients are prepared. Transfer to blender or with immersion blender wizz until smooth. May require additional liquid. Check seasonings.

I like greens and peppers and mushrooms in this dish but asparagus pumpkin potato and celeriac are also good. I wilt and squeeze greens before adding to casserole dish and par-cook any roots.

Plenty of polenta recipes out there as topping. I like course and fine maize cooked rather wet and soft. I'll do a search.

A side dish of beans and perhaps a salad.

if much 'high water content' veg is used then an oz. of maize flour can be stirred into the sauce to thicken up before baking off.

harpy
Apr 18th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Or how about a shepherd's pie type thing with potato topping and a lentil filling? Those can look quite impressive, especially if you can do individual ones.

JC
Apr 18th, 2008, 01:11 PM
what about a mixed bean chilli, served with rice, nacho cheese and tortilla chips?

Astrid
Apr 18th, 2008, 01:38 PM
A nice soup, maybe?

pat sommer
Apr 19th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Cornbread would be more South-western if you feel like picking up a bag of gluten-free flour. Bit expensive but only 1 cup is called for in most cornbread recipes and the rest can be saved for your friend's next visit. Or, perhaps, make some biscuits too?

Risker
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Or how about a shepherd's pie type thing with potato topping and a lentil filling? Those can look quite impressive, especially if you can do individual ones.

That's a nice idea, really cheap too. Peas are an essential ingredient imho.

Couple of tips for shepherds pie, once you've made the filling let it cool before topping with the mash so that it gains some surface tension and the mash doesn't sink into it. Also, just cook it in the oven until it's heated through, then put it under the grill to brown the top, saves alot of fuel and saves getting food burned to the cooking dish.

Roxy
Apr 19th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Cornbread would be more South-western if you feel like picking up a bag of gluten-free flour. Bit expensive but only 1 cup is called for in most cornbread recipes and the rest can be saved for your friend's next visit. Or, perhaps, make some biscuits too?

Chili and cornbread. Mmmm! Great idea :bigsmile:

littlemiss
Apr 20th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Hello all! Thanx for the suggestions! I make a corn bread pie with chilli in, but I use an ouce of flour in that, could I replace it with soya flour? I make a batter and put it on the chilli so its not like it needs the gluten? Thanx for the ideas, its inspired me.
Also, I'm making a dessert made from choc spread (vegan of course!) Alpro natural style yoghurt, gluten free bisc, coffee and whisky. Anything in there I should be worried about for her?
Thanx again!!

pat sommer
Apr 21st, 2008, 03:59 AM
Since it's just an ounce, leaving it out altogether probably will work fine. Have you tried besan flour? The Indian chickpea flour? I love how it creates a cakey springy texture when added to many batters. If it weren't for its slightly savoury/beany aftertaste I would use it in delicate sponge-cakes as well.

Sounds like your friend is in for a treat with the pud: Tiramisoy? When you have tried it , can we have the recipe too?

Good luck!

littlemiss
Apr 24th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I'l give you the recipe as I have veganised it and you can degluntenise it as you know how!

Semi-freddo chocolate pots (which I translate as slighty frozen?)

Serves 4 (but I usually make 5 and its really rich)
340g of a jar of choc spread (I completely guess quantities as this is far too sticky for my weighing scales)
2 tbsp Brandy (I use hubby's whisky)
2 tbsps strong black coffee
100g/4oz dessert like bisuits (I just use digestives but you get the idea) lightly broken
A big tub of alpro natural style yoghurt, plain.
1 tbsp cocoa powder

Place choc spread in microwave proof bowl and microwave for 10 seconds until just softened. Beat to soften further.
Mix togther the brandy and coffee, add the biscuits and toss them in the liquid.
Add the yoghurt, biscuits and soaking liquid to the chocolate spread. Fold together lightly but leave the mixture marbeled.
Spoon into coffee cups or ramekins and place in freezer for 1 hour until just frozen. Dust with cocoa powder to serve.

Its really simple and tstes amazing. Looking at the original recipe again I have changed it quite a bit but guests love it.

Previously I have made her tofu cheesecake, a mini trifle and a homemade christmas pudding, definatly worth the time and effort and so much cheaper than the "free from" versions.
I just love cooking and surprising my friends with fantastic vegan dinners.

pat sommer
Apr 24th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Sounds yummy. With store-bought gluten-free biscuits then?

littlemiss
May 1st, 2008, 10:40 AM
Yes store bought biscuits, i'm feeling lazy! I'm doing stuffed mushrooms, mash, spiced tofu and steamed veg. Thanx for all the suggestions.

emzy1985
May 1st, 2008, 11:42 AM
Littlemiss your deserts sound amazing and your friend is very lucky! Is she/he vegan too? I think you should leave some scraps for me and I'll come and scrounge hehe :D

Tiffeecanoe
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:19 PM
THREE MAJOR standbys in at our dinner table are...

Roasted Veggie Sandwiches.... portobella mushrooms, sliced zucchini, roasted red peppers, roasted potato slice.. sliced eggplant, onions, any combination of 3-4 of the veggies and some fresh basil and drizzled w/ some balsamic and salt & pepper on a nice roll/bread...which I'm sure is abundant in France ;) then on the side we'll have a nice green salad or I'll make a batch of soup, etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Veggie burritos/tacos. If we have left over roasted veggies, we'll stuff the burritos/tacos w/ those...otherwise... just

Canned black beans (smashed, refried, plain seasoned w/ cumin, chili, salt, pepper,etc)

Rice seasoned w/ a touch fresh lime juice and cilantro/coriander leaf

Then topped w/ pico de gallo/salsa and guacamole OR just sliced avocado.

Served w/ a side of rice and beans.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Vegan Olive Tapenade w/ fresh basil & tomato sandwiches a lot.

The recipe isn't specific measurements, it's very easy to alter to your tastes:

a great big handful (cup, 3/4 cup) of green/kalamata olives, a large spoonful of capers, squirt of dijon mustard, garlic clove, pepper, touch of olive oil blend it all up in a chopper...spread it on your bread (i like to grill the bread first)...then add as many fresh basil leaves as you'd like and plump, juicy tomaters slices...and enjoy.

and that is usually served w/ a fruit salad, cucumber salad, soup, roasted potatoes, etc!

Hope you enjoy these suggestions!! Feel free to message me with any questions!

Tiffeecanoe
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I just saw the edit to Orig. Post. I'll post these there!! :) Or not, because that link is closed, lol!