PDA

View Full Version : Vegan meals to bring to others' parties

Pages : [1] 2 3

artgirl624
Dec 30th, 2004, 02:41 AM
I am going to a New Year's Eve party with a houseful of carnivorous friends... I plan to bring some sort of vegan appetizer, but need some ideas to help others (besides only me) to eat the stuff! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

feline01
Dec 30th, 2004, 02:51 AM
Carrot sticks/celery sticks w/ hummus or make a french onion dip using vegan sour cream

Get some phyllo dough and stuff w/ sauteed veggies, seal w/ water and bake

crackers spread w/ different vegan cream cheeses and topped w/ sliced cucumber, red pepper etc.

and, of course, potato chips!

GwynneVeg
Dec 30th, 2004, 03:03 AM
One of my favorites (and easy) is to cut pita bread into triangles and toast it in oven, then bring hummus or avacado dip or salsa. Do you have a Whole Foods nearby? They have great hummus.

Roxy
Dec 30th, 2004, 03:28 AM
I love hummus! Baba Ganouj dip is another good idea to go with the toasted/baked pita breads.

Also edamame go good with beer :D

Nuts! I got some roasted macadamias for Christmas and they were sooooo good!

Mystic
Dec 30th, 2004, 10:46 PM
If you can get some rice balls or falafel balls from anywhere, everyone always likes those :) . Otherwise, like others have already said, dips, crackers etc are popular among carnivores as well as us herbies.

GwynneVeg
Dec 31st, 2004, 01:42 AM
I love hummus! Baba Ganouj dip is another good idea to go with the toasted/baked pita breads.

Hello Roxy

What is Baba Ganouj dip? Sounds interesting!

feline01
Dec 31st, 2004, 01:56 AM
babaganoush is one of my favorites. It's a roasted eggplant dip. Very easy to make. Slice eggplant in half, roast until it's collapsed, cool and scrape out flesh into bowl. Mash with tahini, crushed garlic, fresh squeezed lemon and salt. That's it, tastes as a bread spread or for a dip. I always get my falafel sandwiches with babaganoush.

Roxy
Dec 31st, 2004, 03:55 AM
Hi Gwynne,

Yes, it is an eggplant dip. I have seen the name spelt different ways, and I'm not really sure which is the "correct" spelling lol.

I haven't been brave enough to make my own, and I buy my eggplant dip. Up here in Canada, I buy a brand made by a company called Sunflower Kitchen. Their products are GMO free, kosher, and most are suitable for vegans.

GwynneVeg
Dec 31st, 2004, 03:58 AM
Thanks Roxy and Sue. I wonder if Whole Foods has it. I'll look for it next time I go!

Roxy
Dec 31st, 2004, 04:01 AM
I get that Sunflower Kitchen brand at Wholefoods :D

bittersweet
Oct 20th, 2005, 09:45 AM
My workplace is one of those offices where everyone brings in "treats" for celebrations. When it is just a team event, people often remember to bring something I can have, and I bake/cook when it's my turn, no problem (and have especial praise for my vegan flapjacks - several recipes given out).

More generally, for birthdays, chocolates/sweets are usually put in the kitchen for the whole office to help themselves to. My 30th is coming up, and I can't think of a brand of vegan chocolates which would do a big enough box/selection without bankrupting myself.

Any ideas?

Mr Flibble
Oct 20th, 2005, 09:49 AM
make truffles? If you put booze in them you can hide the fact you use cheap chocolate ;)

GloomCookie
Oct 20th, 2005, 12:26 PM
I think I'd have to go the homemade route on this one, feeding everyone Booja truffles is not going to be cheap :D

bittersweet
Oct 21st, 2005, 02:37 PM
Don't really want to make truffles with alcohol - a lot of Muslim people work in my offices, and it'd be nice if they could eat my stuff (it'll be after Ramadan finishes, and obviously Vegan stuff is also Halal).

karmadust
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:27 AM
Are any of you attending non-vegan Christmas dinners? What do you plan on bringing to eat and share?

Seaside
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:59 AM
People love my chestnut and wild rice "stuffing", Karmadust. Its a pain to prepare it from fresh chestnuts, which is why I only do it once a year, but its worth it. :)

sugarmouse
Dec 19th, 2006, 10:56 AM
I am going t be taking my own food to my mothers for xmas. I am not sure what though yet! I ll maybe just cook up some veggies when I am there, and buy some fake turkey. not sure though! I usually lose weight at xmas, while everyone else gets fatter, because there is never anything I can eat around my parents house!

applepie
Dec 19th, 2006, 01:40 PM
We're going to have raclette, which is the best option for two meat-eaters, a vegetarian and a vegan. It's a traditional Swiss meal, basically a big grill and everyone has his/her own little frying-pan. Really good fun!
For Boxing Day, when my uncle's family is coming, I'll cook my own food as they are vey intolerant and would not eat a vegan meal.

harpy
Dec 19th, 2006, 02:34 PM
I'll be at my aunt's - she's omnivorous but the people who look after her (she's disabled) seem to understand what "vegan" means so I might take a chance. Last year I lugged a load of vegan stuff over there and the food they had was fine.

I have bought some vegan mince pies though, and might take a packet of Redwood sausages to be on the safe side. If you freeze them first they travel fine.

What are you doing yourself, karmadust?

auntierozzi
Dec 19th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Hi Applepie,
I love raclette too and have found it an easy solution for a meal with omnis and me.

karmadust
Dec 19th, 2006, 08:29 PM
I'm having dinner with extended family and I want to try something different this year. Usually I bring a savory and delicious Cashew Loaf (my standard holiday dish)...but I sort of feel like trying something different. I'd like it to be something non-vegans won't be too scared of (haha), but also something I'll enjoy. Thanks for the suggestions :)

harpy
Dec 19th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Hmm, people will usually try pasta-based dishes in my experience, although you may not think they are particularly festive.

How about one of those chestnut pate en croute things? Anything wrapped in pastry seems to get people excited :D

karmadust
Dec 20th, 2006, 02:19 AM
Anything wrapped in pastry seems to get people excited

haha, how true!

monkey60613
Mar 9th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Hello-

Can someone give me veganized traditional Irish recipe for a St. Patty's Day party I'm going to on the 17th? Thanks!!

piggy
Mar 9th, 2007, 10:05 PM
ok, i don't know the first thing about irish cooking, and i've never tried this, but just today, i got this on some vegetarian/vegan newsletter that i subscrive to:

Colcannon
6 servings

Adapted from Vegetarian Celebrations

This being March, it’s appropriate to celebrate all things Irish, like this classic potato dish. I love this dish and have been making it for years. The combination of potatoes and cabbage, browned in a skillet and embellished with lots of scallions, becomes uncommonly tasty.

* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 cups finely chopped white cabbage
* 6 scallions, white and green parts, sliced
* 4 large potatoes, cooked, peeled, and coarsely mashed
* 1 cup rice milk
* 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
* Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the cabbage and sauté, covered, over moderate heat. Lift the lid and stir occasionally, until it is limp. Add the scallions and sauté, uncovered, until the cabbage begins to turn golden. If the skillet becomes dry, add small amounts of water as needed.

Combine the potatoes and milk in a mixing bowl and stir together. Turn the heat up to moderately high and stir the potatoes and parsley in with the cabbage mixture in the skillet. Sauté without stirring until the bottom of the mixture gets nicely browned. Fluff with a wooden spoon, then season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.