PDA

View Full Version : Favorite vegan breakfast?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Rainy Day Woman
Aug 18th, 2004, 04:26 AM
Hi guys,

Recently, not 3 months ago, I went to buy some soy-yogurt. I do not eat a lot of soy-yogurt because all the brands that I am aware of in Auz have wheat and other processed materials in them that don't go down well in me.
However, I did enjoy my soy-yogurt every now and again, and yet when I went to buy it I was re-reading the ingredients list (as I usually do when I can't recall everything in something) and to my disgust I found that they have started makin a note warning that the "live cultures" are dairy based cultures.
Bah!!!
I swear this note was never on them before, and I haven't bought any soy-yogurt since....but do they make a safe vegan yogurt anywhere????

Fruitbat
Aug 18th, 2004, 06:34 AM
i have always wondered about the live cultures too. There are non-live sooy yogs in the UK tho so u have the choice.

wannadisco
Aug 19th, 2004, 03:00 PM
porridge with mixed spice, chopped dried dates/raisins and banana! yummeh! i <3 porridge! oh and green tea, or liquorice tea...

basteq
Aug 19th, 2004, 10:43 PM
fast food :D (of course vegan fast food is not mcdonald crap .. it's healthy and nutritious)

i like some sandwich in the morning like THIS (http://vegweb.com/food/sandwich/3929.shtml)

or ..

leftovers from day before dinner (rice warmed up in microwave or sth)

walnut
Aug 30th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Lately, I have been having orange juice,then about 1 hour later have oats which have been soaked overnight,cooked with maple syrup and soy milk.
I have finally enough confident to make a post!!

basteq
Aug 30th, 2004, 03:24 PM
anything that dont requires cooking. oh and tasty 2 ;)
DIPS with bread rock my world lately.
Today I had SKORDALIA (http://vegweb.com/food/misc/dip-skordalia1.shtml) which tastes exactly as COTTAGE CHEESE WITH SOUR CREAM & ONION that I had often when I was not vegan.

Just use half of the amount of lemon. YOMMO all the way.

I just simply eat it with bread.

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 30th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Lately, I have been having orange juice,then about 1 hour later have oats which have been soaked overnight,cooked with maple syrup and soy milk.
I have finally enough confident to make a post!!

Hi Walnut! Please post more! :)

VeganBohemian
Sep 6th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Kashi "Seven in the Morning" with mixed fruits and soymilk, a big tall glass of orange juice and a cup of black coffee w/ vanilla silk and chai...YUM.

Ed-
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:21 AM
If I’m feeling healthy:

Muesli with all the nuts, seeds and dried fruit I can find with soy milk.

If I have a hang over:

Fried waffles, veggie sausages, veggie bacon, onion rings, mushrooms, tomatoes and beans.

foxytina_69
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:30 PM
lol ^

Mystic
Sep 18th, 2004, 08:42 AM
What sort of Oatmeal do you have for breakfast?
- Instant (or the 1 minute variety)
- Traditional rolled oats
- Coarse or steal cut oats
- Flavoured oatmeal (like quakers etc...)

Normally I have quick oats, that come already in a sachet. I add 2/3 cup water and nuke it for 1 minute and 30 seconds. I add chopped fruit - and yummy! But this morning I went all out and cooked coarse oatmeal. It took half an hour and it didn't taste nearly as good!!!!

Also, in Australia, they don't have many vegan flavoured oatmeals - the only one I can find is at the health food shop and it is about $7 - 8 for a box with 8 sachets, as opposed to my plain oatmeal that costs $3 for 10 sachets!!!!

wuggy
Sep 18th, 2004, 08:53 AM
I like traditional rolled oats, cooked and topped with raisins.

cedarblue
Sep 18th, 2004, 01:47 PM
with maple syrup & soy milk (and soy cream if i'm feeling really naughty!)

Artichoke47
Sep 18th, 2004, 02:00 PM
I eat traditional rolled oats. I used to eat steel cut oats as well...until one day I took a bite that tasted like blood. I could never eat those again.

Cyan
Sep 18th, 2004, 02:07 PM
traditional rolled oats, cinnamon, vanilla soy milk, nuts, raisins--just like a cookie! :)

cyan

cast_the_flames
Sep 20th, 2004, 02:52 AM
at home i eat steel cut, but in college my only option sits in a packet. i went to whole foods and bought organic instant oatmeal, though, so i didn't have to rely on the preservative-ridden crap they have here.

uww27225
Sep 20th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Hmmm...I feel sort of dumb b/c I'm not sure. I have a box of Oat Bran All Natural Hot Cereal. It's not in individual packets and it doesn't say anything like "quick" or "instant" on the box, but I just add water and cook for 1-2 minutes. The only ingredient is oat bran. So is it instant? The box does say "the oats are milled to remove the fibrous coat, or bran layer, from the rest of the kernal." I'm stumped and feeling kind of foolish... :)

~*Blue*~
Sep 20th, 2004, 03:25 PM
I eat traditional rolled oats. I used to eat steel cut oats as well...until one day I took a bite that tasted like blood. I could never eat those again.

ewww...i eat steel cut oats with soy milk (i like how it's more crunchy than other oatmeal) but i won't be eating it until i forget that blood expierence.

TheFirstBus
Sep 23rd, 2004, 06:44 AM
ah man, I didn't do the poll because if its oatmeal I will eat it you know proveded when its instant that it has not to much artificial crap in it. In fact I just got some instant oatmeal organic flax and oats, good stuff. My friends, my family I don't think I knwo anyone that like oatmeal I love it, oh and cornmeal is good to.

snaffler
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:44 AM
In the week it's either two slices of toast with that nice cruncy peanut butter made by Essential Wholefoods (most of you westcountry vegans will know the stuff).
or It's Shreddies but the ones made By Sainsbury or Co-oP as they are labelled Vegan.

ON the weekend I treat myself to a veggie grill up not a big fan of fried food or if the local health food shop has them in stock I get some of the Luxery Herb Vegan Sosauges and have a nice sarni with brown sauce - proper job young-en :-)

Artichoke47
Oct 1st, 2004, 02:53 AM
Does anyone ever make this? I have oatmeal every morning, and while I love it and am not tired of my oats, I want to try the rice cereal, too.

My recipe says to use 1/2 c. of rice and grind it in a coffee or spice grinder, mixed with 2 c. boiling water, reducing the heat to low when you add the rice, and then cooking for about 5 min., adding vegetable-based milk, if desired, at the end.

I'm not sure that my walnuts and maple syrup will go with rice cereal. What do you guys think? :)

Mystic
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:00 AM
I have tried rice porridge before. This was rolled brown rice flakes, as you get with oatmeal. It was quite yummy, but I much prefer the oats. Rice porridge would be a great substitute if, like Foxytina, you have celiacs desease and can't have gluten.

Walnuts and maple syrup wouldn't not go with it, but I know a rice porridge that comes with chopped up pieces of dried nectarine and peaches, so maybe you can try something a bit different?

Also, I am not sure what rice cereal you are talking about coz I never had to grind anything up in the coffee grinder!!!

Artichoke47
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:04 AM
Oh, you grind up the rice. You just use regular brown rice that you buy in a container or bag or bulk bin at the store and make the "cereal" part yourself by grinding up the rice so that it cooks faster and comes out more cereal-like. :)

Thanks for the tips on the fruit. I don't have either of those, but maybe raisins will work.

Artichoke47
Oct 1st, 2004, 02:37 PM
I made this cereal this morning. It's not as good as oatmeal. I made it using the above directions, plus adding 1 1/2 T. of sugar, sprinkle of cinnamon, and 3 T. of rice milk, to make it sort of like rice pudding flavor. It tastes pretty good, but not "awesome" like my oatmeal! :)

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:40 PM
I make "Congee" a traditional Chinese Porridge. It is rice cooked in a pot or crockpot, with lots more liquid than normal and either a sweet or savory theme-

For Sweet, I use almond, soy or coconut milk, add cinnamon and/or chopped dates and perhaps other spices like ginger, nutmeng, or pumpkin pie spice blend. After it has cooked to a "mush" I add chopped nuts and a dab of Earth Balance and maybe Maple syrup.

For Savory, I add chopped onion and garlic, perhaps corriander maybe a curry spice blend or a chopped jalapeno and after it has cooked down a bit I add chopped vegetables (greens, carrots) and finish it off once it is a "mush" with a bit of Earth Balance, Brown Rice Vinegar and a dash of Umeboshi Vinegar.

This is a common Winter breakfast, Sweet or Savory, in my house. Congee is easy to digest and very soothing. It's a good thing to have when you have the flu or a stomach issue.