PDA

View Full Version : Favorite vegan breakfast?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

foxytina_69
Apr 21st, 2004, 09:26 PM
what is your favorite vegan breakfast?

mine is anything with potatoes... i loooove hashbrowns (but i tend to get stuffy and allergic when i eat potatos so i dont eat them that often!)

Veggie4Life139
Apr 21st, 2004, 11:12 PM
I like hashbrowns too! My favorite! (Yum......)

mattd
Apr 23rd, 2004, 03:52 PM
scrambled tofu. not the kind that you buy the mix for, but using your own spices and fresh veggies along with the tofu. hashbrowns are pretty close up there for me too though.

celesta
Apr 23rd, 2004, 04:59 PM
I like mixed berries and citrus with raw nuts and seeds.

cedarblue
Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:19 PM
i recently made some rhubarb jam so i'm currently having that on toast for brekkie but otherwise i like chopped banana and apple, sprinkle with ground almonds then top with raisins and vegan yoghurt !

Cloudy
Apr 24th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Mushrooms on toast! Mmmm

tricia
Apr 25th, 2004, 12:52 AM
hmm lately i have had cravings for oatmeal with raisins and cereal...

nope not at the same time...

i love hashbrowns though... mmmmmmm

Gorilla
Jul 27th, 2004, 12:30 PM
i can't really eat cooked food at breakfast, i tend to have fruity muesli with soya/rice milk most of the time, occasionally i will have toast but only really if i've run out of milk!

Artichoke47
Jul 27th, 2004, 01:31 PM
This is going to be a big surprise - oatmeal with walnuts and maple syrup.

n0r1
Jul 27th, 2004, 07:22 PM
A concoction my roommate dreamed up:

handful raw oats
small handful uncooked millet
1 banana
few splooshes soy milk
cinnamon
nutmeg
pinch salt
toasted nuts if you want (pecans/almonds)
tsp or so flax seeds, toasted & lightly ground
dried cranberries or golden raisins

mash the banana with the soy milk, then add grains and everything else. sooooooo good! so whole-grainy! keeps me full till lunch. i love it.

That or a bagel with the spreads from the Vegan Planet.

cast_the_flames
Jul 27th, 2004, 10:07 PM
i usually have cold cereal with soy milk, although every once in a while i'll have hot cereal. warm tasty goodness. during the school year i'm bad and often just grab a soy latte for breakfast.

i_like_deer
Jul 27th, 2004, 10:48 PM
weekday "breakfast" for me is just green tea but my favorite thing to have on weekends for breakfast is scrambled tofu w/veggies (usually mushrooms, bell peppers, onions and squash) & lots of spices (curry, tumeric, chipotle, coriander, red chile powder, garlic) with hash browns and whole grain toast :) :) :)

slinkyvagabond
Jul 28th, 2004, 05:27 AM
I usually can't have much of anything substantial when I first wake up--I suppose years of skipping breakfast during school (and sleeping in too late on non-school days to have breakfast) have thrown my stomach a bit out of whack, and a big breakfast makes me feel very ill. Lately I've been trying, though--I usually have three 16-oz bottles of water (trying to get in my 8 glasses a day), plus a snack-size cup of natural applesauce or a cup of puffed Kashi with a little soy milk and a packet of sweetener. I know sweetener's not exactly healthy, but lately the thought of sugar disgusts me. Which reminds me to ask, does anyone know if Splenda (0-calorie sweetener made from cane sugar) is vegan?

Veganmama
Jul 28th, 2004, 06:13 AM
My usual is Museil with some fresh sprouts

Roxy
Jul 28th, 2004, 08:09 AM
My favourite breakfast food, that I don't eat very often is this: vegan waffles with berries in them with Yves vege breakfast sausages smothered in maple syrup. Yummmmmmmm.

foxytina_69
Jul 29th, 2004, 02:40 AM
mmm waffles with berries sounds very good right now :)

ConsciousCuisine
Jul 29th, 2004, 04:16 AM
a packet of sweetener. I know sweetener's not exactly healthy, but lately the thought of sugar disgusts me. Which reminds me to ask, does anyone know if Splenda (0-calorie sweetener made from cane sugar) is vegan?
Splenda is "sucralose". Sucralose is produced by chlorinating sugar. This involves chemically changing the structure of the sugar molecules by substituting three chlorine atoms for three hydroxyl groups. Being that the sugar used by the chemists who manufacture this toxin do not make use of organic sugar, it is processed through bone char, making it neither a vegan or even a vegetarian product. Additionally, it was tested on thousands of animals before it was put out on the market, since only a handful of human studies have actually been conducted in a short period of time, and the "heavies" who are the proponents of this toxin needed to have "proof" that it was not unhealthy.

slinkyvagabond
Jul 29th, 2004, 05:05 AM
Splenda is "sucralose". Sucralose is produced by chlorinating sugar. This involves chemically changing the structure of the sugar molecules by substituting three chlorine atoms for three hydroxyl groups. Being that the sugar used by the chemists who manufacture this toxin do not make use of organic sugar, it is processed through bone char, making it neither a vegan or even a vegetarian product. Additionally, it was tested on thousands of animals before it was put out on the market, since only a handful of human studies have actually been conducted in a short period of time, and the "heavies" who are the proponents of this toxin needed to have "proof" that it was not unhealthy.

GAH! *feels a bit queasy* Thank you for the info. I suppose from now on I'll just top my unsweetened cereal with a flavored soy milk.

eve
Jul 31st, 2004, 01:25 AM
For breakfast I like to eat rolled oats porage, with raisins or prunes that I stir in whilst stirring the porage. I add a little Vitasoy milk to cool it down, as I can't wait to eat it! At the moment I'm away from home, staying with a friend in Sydney, and here I'm having olive bread slices with a thick spread of avocado, and home made homas, followed by an apple, with a mug of ginger tea. The bread, avocado, homas, ginger tea, and apples were brought round to me by my son who also lives in Sydney, and came to visit. :)

Pembroke
Aug 2nd, 2004, 03:36 AM
One of my neighbors, whos really into raw foods, told me about this. The night before, you have to soak some almonds and oats in water, then rinse them out in the morning. To get it ready, you cut up 5 dates or so into really small pieces, and let them soak in a little water for 15 minutes. Put your oats and almonds in a bowl. Slice up a banana and and apple into bit size peices and add them. When the dates are ready, add them, and mix everything together. It makes about two bowls.

It's tastes so good!!! Sort of like apple crisp, actually. And you can easily substitute fruits. Try it some time ;)

On sort of a random note, soaking almonds in water is good for two reasons: 1.) It makes them MUCH more digestible. 2.) They begin to sprout, and their nutritional value goes up like 300% - 400%!

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 2nd, 2004, 04:15 AM
One of my neighbors, whos really into raw foods, told me about this. The night before, you have to soak some almonds and oats in water, then rinse them out in the morning.

On sort of a random note, soaking almonds in water is good for two reasons: 1.) It makes them MUCH more digestible. 2.) They begin to sprout, and their nutritional value goes up like 300% - 400%!
This is a favorite way to have cereal! FYI unless you buy oats that are unterated and verified raw, they will have been steamed in the processing so are not "raw" and live anymore. It's still a good breakfast though! I wonder if your neighbor buys the truly raw ones?

Yes, soaked "sprouted" seeds and nuts are the best way to consume them. The protein and vitamins/minerals become more easily assimilated when soaked. Heated nuts are especially difficult to digest, but even raw, unsoaked ones can tax the system.

Pembroke
Aug 2nd, 2004, 05:17 AM
Actually, my neighbor goes ALL out :) She orders her from a huge organic-bulk company. It's spendy, but I think it's worth it. You should see how many dates she has, lol. I looked inside of her refridgerator, and I was in heaven!!! I used to be friends with her daughter, and when I expressed an interest in raw foods, she was more than happy to give me an intro.... I'm so jealous of her children, heh heh.

We got our oats at the co-op, so I'm 99.9% sure that they're raw. Yummy ;) We buy alot of my food their. We got dates there, but they were pitted.... I liked the ones with the pits in better. I don't know why, but they just taste better.

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 2nd, 2004, 05:33 AM
That's so cool that you have someone like that to show you new stuff! Maybe since she places orders you can order a few specialty items with her!

The dates with pits in them are softer and more moist in my experience...

gertvegan
Aug 13th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Any Kelloggs or nestle breakfast cereal eaters take note.

The hidden dangers in breakfast

Cereal giants accused over sugar, salt and fat content

James Meikle, health correspondent
Thursday April 1, 2004
The Guardian

The breakfast cereal giants Kellogg's and Nestlé were yesterday accused by the Consumers' Association of targeting children with products containing excessive levels of sugar, salt and fat.

Servings of popular brands such as All Bran, Oat Krunchies and Golden Grahams contained four times as much salt as a 25g bag of roasted peanuts, the association said, as it fired the first salvo in a battle to speed up the "excruciatingly slow" progress being made to improve children's diets by industry and the government. It threatened a consumer boycott if ministers and companies failed to respond to pressure.

More (http://society.guardian.co.uk/publichealth/story/0%2C11098%2C1183458%2C00.html)

Fruitbat
Aug 13th, 2004, 08:03 PM
My usual breakfast is fruit: kiwis and strawberries, raspberries and peaches; melon; mango and bluberries; grapefruit; green grapes and plums...

I like porridge and banana, porridge and sugar-free jam; porridge and raisins, muesli and banana, bran with warm soy milk and banana, soy yoghurt with rhubarb, soyyoghurt with apple and banana; rye bread wit banana, rye bread and apple, rye bread and apple, raisins and soy cream cheese, toasted rye bread and yeast spread; mushrooms on non-rye wholemeal or granary toast; tempeh bacon toast sandwich

But my absolute favourties are bagels or home-made muffins with a banana soy smoothie. I make vegan sugar-free muffins with banana, blueberries, lemon zest and coconut; or banana, raspberries, orange zest and passionfruit an coconut; or apple and cinnamon.