PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Nice, France in a couple of weeks, advice please!!

VeganJohn
Oct 22nd, 2005, 03:09 PM
Hi,

I will be visiting Nice in the South of France with family in a couple of weeks time. I will only be staying 2 nights and would like some advice as to where to shop or eat. I have found two veggie places on HappCow, although one is just a vegetarian place with a set menu and one is only open at lunchtimes although serves vegan food.

Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

John.

puffin
Oct 25th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Sorry no advice John but have a wonderful time :)

adam antichrist
Oct 25th, 2005, 02:39 PM
If you see someone eating food without eggs or dairy in it, you have accidentally crossed the border and are probably in belgium. :D

VeganJohn
Oct 30th, 2005, 04:49 PM
I'm sure I'll manage, there is definately a vegetarian restaurant and probably there will be Chinese and Indian resturants. I am only going for 2 nights.

screamingcarrot
Oct 30th, 2005, 05:45 PM
hey john
im going to nice aswell in a few weeks. whenever i travel i look up the city on happycow.net ..it lists vegetarian/vegan restaurants and shops in almost any city in the world..its great, you can read other peoples reviews of the place and then write your own. its helped me alot when travelling over europe.
good luck!

VeganJohn
Nov 8th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Hi,

Just got back today. I went for my 25th birthday and had a great time. Nice is not vegan friendly at all but a lovely place, I am sure you will love it. I managed to eat about 90% vegan. I didn't go to the places mentioned on Happy Cow as they were apparently not open, but I went to an excellent place called La Safari for an evening meal on Sunday (my birthday). You can dine in or outdoors and it is a great place. The waiter understood when I said I was a vegan (Je suis végétalien!!). I managed to have courgette flowers in tempura batter for starters. This was served with a spicy tomato sauce and was fantastic. For main course I had a pasta dish in a lovely garlic and tomato sauce followed by some delicious strawberries.

I popped into a Spar and found a good selection of soya milks. I also visited a Monoprix supermarket and discovered quite a wide range of soya yogurts. I took the soya milk down to breakfast in the hotel and poured it on my cereal. I also was able to get a good fruit salad, prunes and plenty of delicious french breads and jam as well as fruit juice.

In between evening meals I managed to get some half decent green salads without cheese and ate a waffle with fruit sauce.

Last night I dined at a very expensive classy French retaurant. The staff, however, were very cold and unfriendly. I had an amazing starter, which was a salad with truffles in an olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing. It was easily the best salad I have ever had. Unfotunately the main course I ordered, a lemon risotto, was not particularly good and upon eating it I realised there was cheese in the sauce. I ate a little bit but really did not enjoy it.

All in all I had an excellent birthday trip and had some wonderful cocktails, including one made with fresh papaya and pineapple - gorgeous. Nice is a lovely place and the weather was nice and warm, without being too hot. On the whole people were very friendly and I would recommend the place!!

VeganJohn
Nov 8th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Forgot to mention, there was a Chinese restaurant I found that served tofu dishes, but it was miles away from where we were when we wanted to eat.

puffin
Nov 8th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Glad to hear you had a lovely time and a great birthday :)

VeganJohn
Nov 8th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Thanks, it's back to the cold and rain of Northern England now :p

Mr Flibble
Nov 8th, 2005, 10:13 PM
The waiter understood when I said I was a vegan

I get that all the time in england with english waiters. Doesn't mean they actually have a clue what i'm on about!