PDA

View Full Version : Developing a distaste for animal products?

Pages : [1] 2

vjonnyv
Oct 25th, 2005, 02:02 AM
Is it wise to attempt to develop a resistance to animal products? I mean, there are all sorts of replacements: vegan cheese and ice cream and so on. But does this help us or hurt us? I think partially it makes us crave the animal products more. If we chose not to eat the substitutes, perhaps we would develop a complete distaste for them and not even want to look at them (or have replacements). I think that may ultimately serve us better. Thoughts?

mophoto
Oct 25th, 2005, 02:29 AM
i have a distaste for animal products. i think i could tell the difference between earth balance and butter- don' want to test that theory.

i eat meat substitutes, but only as something to accompany my veggies or put on a sandwich. when i was vegetarian i tried garden burger's riblets. they made me sick because they tasted too much like meat, they had fake gristle and a smokey taste.

maybe if they were called something else entirely it would be better. call them soy nuggets instead of chick.

fake meats (for lack of a better term:) ) taste nothing like the real thing

xwitchymagicx
Oct 25th, 2005, 03:03 AM
I can taste the difference of vegan and non vegan foods. Some silly plonker but cows milk in my tea...yuck but I smelt it before I drank it. ;) Thank god.

I don't really eat the "meat" substitutes they just taste wierd and contain gluten anyway.

I don't crave animal products at all...I would probably throw up if I ate something animal one because of the taste and two I wouldn't want something like that inside me. :)

tipsy
Oct 25th, 2005, 03:11 AM
i have a severe distaste for animal products...and thier replacments...

vegan "mayo" products make me gag.

i never use meat replacement, because they arent appetizing to me seeing that i never ate meat, and never missed eating meat.

but i do use things like toffuti better than sour cream and better than cream cheese products...i dont think of them as a replacement for the dairy alternatives, but rather a vegan food that i use occasionally (mainly when im cooking for others).

eating these things do not make me want dairy products...but rather make me glad that there is such an awesome aray of vegan goodies out there :D

moochbabe
Oct 25th, 2005, 03:31 AM
i think that for a lot of people that want replacements, it's the seasonings and textures they miss. i like having them sometimes because they're quick, and yes, i like the taste. however, they never really taste like the real thing, and so, they do not make me want to eat their meat counterpart...i like vegan burgers, but would GAG at a hamburger...

Roxy
Oct 25th, 2005, 03:53 AM
I like a lot of foods which are vegan "replacements" for the animal version of products. These things include soy milk (which doesn't make me crave dairy milk), Yves breakfast sausages (which don't make me crave meat sausages), Tofurkey products (which don't make me crave any type of meat) and soy jerky (since I never tried meat jerky I can't say this makes me crave that either).

I guess it's up to the individual. I for one, am glad that such replacements are available.

foxytina_69
Oct 25th, 2005, 05:29 AM
i like animal product 'replacements' aswell. it doesnt make me want real meat or anything! it makes me want it alot less because veggie dogs, soy milk, all things like that are just so darn good! i always think "how could anyone want meat/dairy when they could have these?"

Peas'nHominy
Oct 25th, 2005, 05:47 AM
I wasn't reared vegan, so the replacements helped me a lot with the transition. Now, however, I am amused that I compare in reverse -- I see diferences in color and texture, and I don't feel like I'm getting second best by chosing the vegan item. I actually prefer the vegan "replacements" now but they no longer look, smell, or taste like I'm having to choose them as a replacement. (Does that make sense?) I actually prefer the textures, tastes, colors, and smells of the vegan choices over the animal flesh and products.

In particular, I think I would upchuck if I tried to drink cow's milk or eat chicken flesh today. The thought just makes me sick even.

...except for the vegan rice cheeses...that just doesn't do it for me...I can't get Follow Your Heart vegan cheese here and I'm considering ordering some on-line. At this point, however, I bet if I tasted cow cheese (which I won't) it probably wouldn't taste good to me anymore like it use to.

foxytina_69
Oct 25th, 2005, 07:02 AM
i think the follow your heart gourmet cheese was nice, when melted, but when normal, wasnt that great. kindof a wierd texture/taste, but melted it was very nice. i find this with alot of vegan cheeses.

Lily
Oct 25th, 2005, 08:14 AM
I didn't have to 'attempt to' develop a resistance to them. I've developed such an utter distaste for animal products by realising exactly what they are and I feel disgusted whenever I think about the fact that I ever ate them at all. So much so that when I bit into a Linda McCartney deep country pie recently, my first (and last) one, it seemed to so closely resemble meat that I wasn't able to eat it, and the thought of that same pie even now is almost making me want to throw up.

I'd like to discover a vegan 'cheese' that tastes nice, but if it was *too* much like the real thing I wouldn't be able to eat that either, and I used to eat LOADS of cheese when I was veggie. Ugh!

moochbabe
Oct 26th, 2005, 03:41 AM
I wasn't reared vegan, so the replacements helped me a lot with the transition. Now, however, I am amused that I compare in reverse -- I see diferences in color and texture, and I don't feel like I'm getting second best by chosing the vegan item. I actually prefer the vegan "replacements" now but they no longer look, smell, or taste like I'm having to choose them as a replacement. (Does that make sense?) I actually prefer the textures, tastes, colors, and smells of the vegan choices over the animal flesh and products.

In particular, I think I would upchuck if I tried to drink cow's milk or eat chicken flesh today. The thought just makes me sick even.

...except for the vegan rice cheeses...that just doesn't do it for me...I can't get Follow Your Heart vegan cheese here and I'm considering ordering some on-line. At this point, however, I bet if I tasted cow cheese (which I won't) it probably wouldn't taste good to me anymore like it use to.

exactly, becuase i didn't really like the things when i thought of them as replacements, but as i began to REALLY dislike the flavor of meat, i began liking these "replacements"

Zanahorias!
Oct 26th, 2005, 04:23 AM
The thought of eating anything that was a part of an animal, or part of an animal's reproductive tract is vile and makes me want to vomit.:eek: <----- That is me vomitting.

Just think of eating a human's reproductive by-products... that's all the resistance you'll need.

Tigerlily
Oct 26th, 2005, 11:55 PM
For me, I find fake meat quite gross especially veggie burgers and that ground round stuff (just the look, ick). Veggie dogs and vegan deli meats don't bother me much, because even the non-vegan meaty counterparts don't look like the real flesh itself.

But soy milk isn't a replacement for cow's milk, not in my mind. It's a yummy beverage that I drink not because I miss cow's milk but because I want something other than juice. :)

eclectic_one
Oct 27th, 2005, 12:42 AM
I agree with the lot of you who said that you didn't find the meat replacements all that "animal like" in the first place. I know one of the reasons I enjoy "fake" meat is because it isn't like meat to me--no grisles or fat lines or extreme chewiness or grease. So when an omnivore/carnivore asks "why do you eat that when you can have the real thing?," I say I like the "fake" better and nobody had to die for it:D

I also like the soy "ice cream" better than "real" ice cream because even when I was ovo-lacto vegetarian, the real stuff made me feel a bit funky afterwards. (Of course, after learning about all the nasty stuff in there and how the cows are treated, it would only make me feel worse now.)

I agree though these are technically substitutes, I like them for their own qualities, not the "meat-like" or "milk-like" qualities:)

Kiva Dancer
Nov 5th, 2005, 01:31 AM
I'm not exactly sure how drinking soy milk will make me crave bovine breast excretions or how eating seitan will make me crave bird, cow or any other living creature the seitan was meant to mimic. There's simply no comparason between the two and having a soy hotdog does not in any way make me crave the lips and n1pples version that was packed into some animal's exit ramp and cooked. :eek:

I'm not one for a lot of analogs, but I'm awfully glad they're available. In my early days, they made the transition easier because they were a familliar food in different form. Now, they're just a nice once in rare while treat that I can enjoy without guilt. I'm also glad that the analogs are available not just for the veg that likes them but also for the omni that eats them for whatever reason. IMO, the more the omnis eat the analogs, the less they'll eat the animals and isn't that always a good thing?

thecatspajamas1
Nov 5th, 2005, 04:36 AM
I eat veggies burgers that look and taste nothing like regular burgers. I prefer them to look like vegetables/rice squished into a patty. When I go to a restaurant and get a veggie burger they usually look a lot like meat and I keep picking it apart to make sure I see a bean or something to reassure me!

nakaniNumen
Nov 12th, 2005, 10:29 AM
I don't like the idea of trying to emulate the taste of non-vegan foods. Occassionally the "replacements" are better such as with soy milk and some veggie burgers etc, but that seems to be because they aren't trying to taste the same as the originals. Prime example being Tofurkey... that stuff is gross!

I say instead of trying to emulate, do your own thing and do it better.

veggiegirl3
Feb 17th, 2006, 12:23 AM
ISo when an omnivore/carnivore asks "why do you eat that when you can have the real thing?," I say I like the "fake" better and nobody had to die for it:D

Say, "Why do you eat the "real thing" when you could easily have this "replacement?"

veggiegirl3
Feb 17th, 2006, 12:28 AM
At first, when I missed meat, I liked eating fake chicken and stuff, but I don't even remember the last time I had fake chicken. I do have veggie burgers probably once a week, but I like ones with a nutty/bean taste better than the other kind. Now, the idea of anything "too meaty" does kinda freak me out. I LOVE soy ice cream, though. I do miss the taste of dairy ice cream, and the nondairy type does the trick. I do NOT like the taste of vegan cheese though.

FR
Feb 17th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Is it wise to attempt to develop a resistance to animal products? I mean, there are all sorts of replacements: vegan cheese and ice cream and so on. But does this help us or hurt us? I think partially it makes us crave the animal products more. If we chose not to eat the substitutes, perhaps we would develop a complete distaste for them and not even want to look at them (or have replacements). I think that may ultimately serve us better. Thoughts?

Why would I crave animal products when the "substitutes" exist, and they taste better, and they are healthier? I personally do not look at them as substitutes. They are what they are, good things made from good wholesome stuff.

FR
Feb 17th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Prime example being Tofurkey... that stuff is gross!

What!!! I love it, I bought some tomato basil italian deli slices today. They are divine w/vegenaise and multi grain bread.

Here is a little comparison of products:

Vegenaise (vegan mayo) > mayo made from a hen's ovulation
Soy based ice cream > calf food based ice cream
Earth Balance (vegan butter) > calf food based butter
Follow Your Heart's Vegan Gourmet (soy cheese) > calf food based cheese
Tofurkey > animal flesh
Plant based milk > pus filled calf food

speedylemons
Feb 17th, 2006, 12:31 PM
meat and dairy substitutes scare me. :eek:

Jane M
Feb 17th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Hmmm, at first I thought uck but then I realized I was drinking a glass of chocolate soy milk. I have to say the substitutes are great! I love the Tofutti cream cheese and soy ice cream! Do they taste like the real thing? Don't know and don't care...just taste good. There is a vegan sausage I like too. Really spicey and flavorful. Like having a party in my mouth!

puffin
Feb 17th, 2006, 03:22 PM
It took me about 8 years before i would touch soya meat. The thought of it made me feel a little unsetted. I tried the redwoods sausages one day, and i thought they didnt taste anything like meat, well from what i could remember. I now eat it with out any problems but some soya meat can be a little to strong in flavour and put me right of. I dont eat it very often but i think it is a good thing and i am sure it has helped many people find going vegan a lot easier.

FR
Feb 17th, 2006, 03:36 PM
These Tofurkey deli slices I've been enjoying lately, the tomato basil flavor, do not taste anything like animal meat.