PDA

View Full Version : Mincemeat

Mr Flibble
Oct 25th, 2005, 10:17 PM
I'm gonna stop spamming the recipes section soon I promise :D

Does anyone have any good tried and tested mincemeat recipes? (mincemeat being a mixture of sultanas, raisins and candied peel - not minced beef!) I found making Black/Apple Butter (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6031) last weekend really fun, and want to continue on the same theme.

There's zillions of recipes findable through google, so I'm not interested in this case of recipes people have just found and not tested. I'm pretty sure I can buy vegan mincemeat ready made too, so it's gotta be better than anything from the shops! :D

pat sommer
Oct 28th, 2005, 11:38 PM
tried and true! I am a lazy cook and love short-cuts and rarely properly measure:

dump a 1 pound bag raisins into heavy bottomed soup pot (Le Creuset)
add aprox same quantity chopped peeled apple (wiz in processor if lazy)
Sweeten with a jar of blackcurrent jam. Spice with a few drops almond extract
(splash amaretto?) and a few ground cloves. Stir while bringing to simmer then reduce heat, cover and cook gently 1 hour or until mixture mounds on spoon (check regularly first batch). Let cool a bit before tasting and deciding whether vinegar is called for. I don't bother with added fat. a portion may be wizzed up if smoother texture preferred.

Hope you have lotsa friends round as this makes heaps of tarts:)

DianeVegan
Oct 29th, 2005, 03:20 AM
Pat!!! You are so good with the recipes! And I am going to try your caramel (dulce de leche recipe) soon. I am too tired tonight, and must drive hours to the in-laws tomorrow. If there is left over apple pie then I will try it and post results. If not, I will try it anyway. I am so intrigued....

Flibble, try the mincemeat. By the way, in the U.S. almost all "mincemeat" is at least vegetarian (prepared).