PDA

View Full Version : replacing sucanat with organic sugar?

foxytina_69
Oct 26th, 2005, 11:46 PM
okay, heres another question about replacing ingredients! (maybe i should make a thread of this?)

i want to make caramel apples for halloween. the recipe calls for sucanat. i dont have that, but i read its an unrefined sugar. can i replace that with organic sugar instead?

Tigerlily
Oct 26th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Maybe an organic brown sugar?

Mr Flibble
Oct 26th, 2005, 11:53 PM
sucanat is basically brown sugar, so yes, assuming the organic sugar you refer to is brown (ie without the molases extracted). Sucanat is a made up american word (perhaps just to be special?) not part of the english language.

Artichoke47
Oct 27th, 2005, 12:26 AM
I'd use a brown sugar, not a white one! :)

Just as was stated...

foxytina_69
Oct 27th, 2005, 02:17 AM
thanks everyone!!

DianeVegan
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:34 PM
sucanat is basically brown sugar, so yes, assuming the organic sugar you refer to is brown (ie without the molases extracted). Sucanat is a made up american word (perhaps just to be special?) not part of the english language.

I think it is a made-up word from SUgar CANe NATural. It retains all the minerals and may foam when you caramelize it (not desireable).

Kiva Dancer
Nov 5th, 2005, 01:50 AM
Yes, they can be replaced. Caramel is simply sugar that's been heated to melting with a syrup in it such as corn, rice, etc (to help prevent crystalisation) and butter and cream added to make it rich so yes, IMO, you can replace the sucanat with organic sugar with no problem. If the sugar will melt, it will work. :)

Brown sugar, at least in US, is simply white sugar with molasses added. If bone char is an issue (since a lot of US sugars are bone-char filtered), use the sugar of choice with a bit of molasses added in. Viola! Vegan brown sugar. :)

eta: I realsed I might be a bit late with my "help". Did you make the caramel apples and how did they turn out?