PDA

View Full Version : Proud to eat healthy

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 21st, 2006, 10:56 PM
i dont think anyone was attacking you Sticky.
No, they weren't and it's good to see you posting in here, Sticky Date (I still wanna call you BANANA!!! ;) ) and in fact, I wish other healthy eaters would post here and leave the other thread for those with ED's, disordered eating (for WHATEVER reason it is, illness, finances, laziness, depression, WHATEVER) or for when they have an occasional not-so healthy day.

It seems likely that Tigerlily was referring to many of the posts that reflect days with under 1,000 calories and little nutrients...those are the ones I was referring to anyway!

I post sizes, amounts and quantity of foods eaten so people can get an idea of just how much food a normal and healthy vegan eats to get all their nutritional needs met and also to show that eating a LOT of food can be healthy (my actual calorie intake is lower than one might imagine because I rarely eat "fluff" foods;everything counts and is packed with nutrition on good days and on other days, well, it's just delicious) . :p

Mystic
Jan 21st, 2006, 11:02 PM
Oh sorry :o It's just that I don't write portions coz I don't really keep track. I just have a bowl of oatmeal - I don't know how many cups or whatever - I just eat the oatmeal until I have had enough. I hope it doesn't look like I don't eat a lot. And Tigerlily, a bowl of soup wouldn't cut it for me either - you need bread and a yummy salad to go with it :p

strawberry
Jan 21st, 2006, 11:03 PM
I commend you Conscious.
In giving you a compliment, you have truly inspired me, along w/ Roxy to be healthy and learn to embrace a healthy lifestyle. Next year Im going to pursue my teaching in yoga and hollistic health and I feel as though all of you have a lot to do w/ it. You especially, conscious are such a wonderful and intuitive person! Thanks to everyone who DOES embrace healthy eating and a peaceful lifestyle, thank you. :)

moochbabe
Jan 21st, 2006, 11:03 PM
Well only part of my day is done so far but i'll post for so far...

scrambled tofu with sauteed mushrooms, sprouted english muffin with peanut butter, a mango; homemade whole-wheat yeast bread with homemade marinara sauce (mmmm!), hazelnuts, a large apple; a large piece homemade apple and quince crumble(and dinner and snack coming!)

Mystic
Jan 21st, 2006, 11:04 PM
No, they weren't and it's good to see you posting in here, Sticky Date (I still wanna call you BANANA!!! ;) )

LOL - go for it :)

Tigerlily
Jan 21st, 2006, 11:21 PM
Nah, Sticky, I wasn't talking about you! Your food always sounds so yummy.

Roxy
Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:44 AM
I commend you Conscious.
In giving you a compliment, you have truly inspired me, along w/ Roxy to be healthy and learn to embrace a healthy lifestyle.

Really? Wow - that is so cool! :)

I wish you all the very very best with your studies! You will make a fantastic healer (of body, mind and spirit). :)

thecatspajamas1
Jan 22nd, 2006, 01:13 AM
Today I had:

- 1 slice of organic whole wheat sprouted bread with almond butter

- small bowl of organic whole wheat couscous with organic collard greens, sunflower seeds, spices

- can of coconut soda :)

- (a couple) organic veggie burgers (ingredients: sunflower seeds, brown rice, carrots, herbs, sea salt) with a slice of Tofutti "mozzarella" melted over it. (No bread)

- frozen chocolate covered banana chunk (about 1 square inch)

- water throughout the day

Later I will have tea with soymilk and maybe an apple for some extra nutrients.

Roxy
Jan 22nd, 2006, 03:43 AM
I'm not sure if I should post here today or in the other thread.

I guess I certainly ate enough calories, maybe a little too much on the carby side and not enough fresh foods though. And.....it's not disordered eating I - so yes ok, I'll post it here.

Brunch:
2 cups of coffee with non-dairy creamer.
3 home-made pancakes (organic wholewheat, apple and blueberry pancakes) with maple syrup.

Afternoon Snack:
2 home made "Asteroids" (organic quick oats, coconut, cinnamon, organic dark choc chips - melted, peanut butter, organic soy milk and sugar)
Water.

Dinner:
about a cup of steamed rice
stir fried veggies with cashews (brocolli, carrot, zuchinni, celery, water chestnuts)
Panang curried tofu and vegetables (carrot, cauliflower, onion).
6 pieces of fried chilli tofu.
sparkling grapefruit juice.

Dessert:
I am going to have a cup of rooibos tea and a couple of organic sandwich cream cookies while I watch a movie later.

Mystic
Jan 22nd, 2006, 05:48 AM
B: oats w/ almond milk & raspberries
S: banana, dates & walnuts
L: avocado salad roll. macadamia nuts & cherries
S: dates & walnuts
D: Asian greens w/ sesame soy sauce on jasmine rice. vanilla soy yoghurt

strawberry
Jan 22nd, 2006, 06:27 AM
Thanks Roxy ;)

applepie
Jan 22nd, 2006, 07:43 AM
grapefruit, banana, raisins, amaranth muesli, soya milk
2 oranges
huge salad, lots of carrots, rye bread, vegemite, few nuts
2 apples
chickpea curry, quinoa, brokkoli
liquorice, 2 kiwi fruit

Tigerlily
Jan 23rd, 2006, 01:25 AM
An "okay" day. Not the greatest but I don't like posting in the other thread.

Breakfast:
Plain, iron-fortified cereal with raisins
Cup of extra (soy)milky coffee

Lunch:
Oven fries with ketchup
(My cousin came over, we wanted something junky and quick :p)

Afternoon snacks:
Banana
Raisin bread with marg and jam

Supper:
Stir fry (red pepper, green pepper, cauliflower, zuccini, onions, carrots, hmmm more stuff) served over penne pasta with soy sauce, plum sauce, and 1.5 tsp of flax oil

Evening snack:
Apple juice

Roxy
Jan 23rd, 2006, 04:33 AM
Breakfast:
2 cups of coffee with non-dairy creamer.
1 bowl of Organic Panda Puffs Cereal with vanilla soy milk :o

Lunch:
4 Ryvita (light rye style) with a scraping of earthbalance and lots of vegemite.
"Perfect 10" health food bar (dates, figs, cranberries, sugar, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, chocolate liquor, cocoa butter, flax seeds, poppy seeds, soya lecithin, salt).
Water.

Dinner:
about a cup of steamed rice
stir fried veggies with cashews (brocolli, carrot, zuchinni, celery, water chestnuts)
Panang curried tofu and vegetables (carrot, cauliflower, onion).
6 pieces of fried chilli tofu.
Water

Desert:
cup of herbal "Breathe Easy" tea
1 home-made "asteroid"
and thanks to Tigerlily's post I now have a craving for raisin bread, so I am going to make a piece of raisin toast and put organic raspberry spread on it.

Tigerlily
Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:51 PM
We ran out of raisin bread. Oh well. I want to try the sprouted grain raisin bread Ezekiel makes.

herbwormwood
Jan 23rd, 2006, 02:50 PM
LOL
Oh yes, I could eat it anytime!
Funny, because that's the thing people told me the British were so fond of and that it was foul. In Germany it's unheard of. I tried it when I came to Britain and can't keep my hands off it since! Well, first I had Marmite, but that's Unilever, so I have happily switched to Vegemite.

Hello, sorry if this does not belong in this topic but did you know that vegemite is owned by Kraft foods? This is true. Apparently Kraft foods is owned by Philip Morris?
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Altria_Group
http://www.mercola.com/2003/jan/1/gm_foods.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1443087.stm

I use Natex instead of either marmite or vegemite.
http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/600073.html

I will post about my healthy breakfasts when I have finished reading this thread.
I am an "older" Brit and I can tell you for sure that Marmite is the popular spread here. Vegemite is the aussie version. I don't eat marmite but I keep a jar in the cupboard, which belongs to my friend. He thinks natex is disgusting for some reason.

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 23rd, 2006, 03:10 PM
I commend you Conscious.
In giving you a compliment, you have truly inspired me, along w/ Roxy to be healthy and learn to embrace a healthy lifestyle. Next year Im going to pursue my teaching in yoga and hollistic health and I feel as though all of you have a lot to do w/ it. You especially, conscious are such a wonderful and intuitive person! Thanks to everyone who DOES embrace healthy eating and a peaceful lifestyle, thank you. :)
Thanks so much strawberry! :D You are so sweet! What a beautiful journey you are in for ;)

herbwormwood
Jan 23rd, 2006, 03:49 PM
This is for yesterday as I haven't finished today's meals:

Breakfast: Home made millet cake made with millet, maplesyrup, vanilla, cinammon, raisins, cashews, sunflower seeds, a little soya flour and a little hemp flour and soya milk, topped with some tahini. Also a whole organic orange cut into 4 pieces, a handful of whole cashews and a handful of organic raisins, all arranged together an a glass divider plate (the sort which were popular in the 1970's which I obtained from a charity shop). I also had a large pot of tea made with leaves (see the thread on chai) which made 3 large mugs to which I added Provamel soya milk fortified with calcium and vitamins.

Lunch: 2 wholemeal bread buns, with pure spread with hummus and tomato and 1 with home made vegan cheese savory (mix grated cheezely with sprouted mung beans and lots of vegan mayonnaise) and tomato.
Some more cups of tea.

Dinner: Half a vegetable pastry pie I bought in the health food shop, some stuffed vegetables my neighbour gave me (onions, peppers, and spinach leaves stuffed with a spicy rice mix) and a large serving of oven roasted organic potatoes coated with olive oil and sunflower seeds) with a garnish of home made pickled beetroot and onion. A glass of pear juice.
Snacks:
Some grapes, some nuts, some green and blacks chocolate.
Extra drinks: Barleycup,
http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/310185.html
Yogi Choco Tea
http://www.nappies-direct.co.uk/yogi-choco-tea.php3

herbwormwood
Jan 23rd, 2006, 04:31 PM
Maybe I'm a weirdo but I eat LESS vegetables when they are raw.

Take broccoli, for example. After a cup or two of it raw, I don't want anymore. But if I was to steam it, I could eat 5 cups of it!

Have you tried chopping it up really small and mixing it in with rice and other veggies (carrot, tomato, cucumber, lettuce etc., all chopped very fine) and your favourite dressing? My neighbour introduced me to raw brocolli done this way. You can add some nuts and seeds to the salad for fat and protein.

Tigerlily
Jan 23rd, 2006, 04:54 PM
That sounds good. I don't mind raw broccoli in the first place, it's just I can eat so much more when it's cooked. But it doesn't bother me if it's cooked, I'm not aspiring to be raw anytime soon. :)

Mystic
Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:34 PM
Yesterday:
B: oats w/ soy milk & raspberries
S: cherries
L: avocado salad roll. nectarine
S: too many vegan 'tim tams'
S: 2 date & almond rolls
D: chilled roasted capsicum soup, mushroom & nut pie w/ mushroom sauce, herbed potatoes & steamed beans, apple crumble w/ caramel swirl ice cream.

My next door neighbour, who also happens to be my best friend cooked me a 3 course vegan meal last night coz I sliced my hand up. Yes I am having a difficult time typing and I have the day off work coz of it :o

strawberry
Jan 23rd, 2006, 11:57 PM
Ohh sounds yummy Sticky, sorry about your hand!
B, grande soy chai latte, most of a big orange
S, carrot cake clif bar
L, tomato flatbread w/ lettuce, green peppers, onions and cucumbers w/ mustard, small handful of sunflower seeds and a few dried cranberries
S, bite of vegan chocolate
D, pasta spirals w/ "butter" parmesan "cheese" and pepper sprinkes, some steamed cauliflower and broccoli
S, dates & raw mixed nuts, vanilla roobios tea.

Tigerlily
Jan 24th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Breakfast:
Bowl of iron fortified cereal with soy milk

Lunch:
Spicy tex-mex veggie burger stuffed inside a pita pocket with parsley and tomato slices and ketchup+mustard

After Lunch Dessert :D :
Bowl of mango-applesauce with cinnamon added

Afternoon snack:
Apple juice

Supper:
Potato-kale salad (potatoes, kale, lightly fried onions, drizzle of olive oil, 1 tsp flax oil, lots of lime juice)

Dessert:
Cup of hot chocolate made with soy milk
Piece of toast with jam and Earth Balance

Mystic
Jan 24th, 2006, 01:44 AM
B: oats w/ soy milk & raspberries
S: grapes
L: slice of mushroom nut pie from last night w/ ketchup & salad. more grapes.
S: cherries
D: will be salad w/ oil & salt dressing, butterbean & herb soup w/ bread, soy milk w/ vegan tim tams for dessert (having my neighbour over :p )

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 24th, 2006, 04:27 AM
Sprouted grains/seeds English muffin with 2 oz. homemade smoked vegan "bacon" and 1/2 an avocado with nutritional yeast

1 cup spiced smashed pinto beans, 1 cup steamed kale and 2 corn tortillas

16 oz. combined blueberry juice and Kombucha tea

1 cup strawberies

2 cups rooibos tea

3 cups salad of shredded beets, carrots, sprouts, mixed greens, cucumber and lemon garlic dressing

2 cups lentil lime soup with onions and garlic

1 slice sprouted grains bread

1 cup mashed potatoes with carmelized onion/garlic gravy

3 fig "Newman's" :) and 1 cup soy milk

'bout a gallon of water :D

1,800 calories of veganly goodness!