PDA

View Full Version : Proud to eat healthy

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32

treehugga
Mar 5th, 2006, 06:16 AM
breakfast:
* 2 Good for You muffins (grated apple, dates, raisins, lemon rind and juice, wheatgerm, whole flour, olive oil, walnuts, sunflour seeds, soy milk, sugar).
* 2 cups organic tea.

lunch:
* homemade vegan sausage rolls (cashews, breadcrumbs, sage, onion, soft tofu in vegan puff pastry) and mashed potato, carrots, peas.
* 1 slice homemade vegan mud cake - for my eldest sons 20th birthday.
* 1 glass sparkling apple

cup of organic chai

dinner:
lots of various fruit and some salad and homemade bread roll.

vitamins and herbs.

Loads of water. :)

Plunder Bunnie
Mar 6th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Breakfast : One homemade blueberry pancake with light syrup. A small bowl of granola, almonds and vanilla soy milk, a big glass of water and big glass of apple juice. 1 iron pill and multi vitamine.

Lunch: 4 mini brusettchas, made of sliced bagette, olive oil/garlic/parsley spread, topped with tomatoes, green and red peppers and red onions. Also a large salad w/ lettuce, red cabbage, asparagus, zuchinni, red onion and light catalina dressing. Also a glass of chocolate soymilk, water and a green apple.

Snack: A few crackers with PB and sliced banana, and a bite of dark chocolate.

Supper: A few big scoops of mashed potatoes, corn, slightly boiled beans with a tiny bit of margarine and pepper, and a bit of cooked ground veggie burger cooked with onion/garlic/peppers on the side with ketchup for fun.

Ive been trying to diversify my veggies. I still am picky, but want to at least eat a few different things through out the day. Im still trying!!

Tigerlily
Mar 18th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Breakfast:
Puffed wheat cereal with soy milk

Lunch:
Bowl of baked beans
Toasted pita bread
Tomato and cucumber slices
Half of my mom's sandwich (tomato and cucumber sandwich with olive oil and zatar)

Snacks:
Soda crackers
Banana

Supper:
Mushrooms and onions sauteed with olive oil and seasoned with cumin, salt, pepper, and soy sauce
Toasted tomato sandwich

Dessert:
Cup of hot chocolate (hot water, soy milk, cocoa, sugar, vanilla extract)

treehugga
Mar 19th, 2006, 11:38 PM
bowl oatmeal and soy milk

1 cup organic tea

roast potato, pumpkin, sweet potato, carrot onion, broccoli with vegan gravy.

2 cups organic chai tea

2 apricot wheatgerm cookies

eggplant fritters (eggplant, garlic, breadcrumbs mashed together and fried) with salad of tomatoes, lettuce, red onion, walnuts, cucumber and balsamic vinegar.

fruit salad (apples, cantaloupe, watermelon, mango, pineapple)

1 orange

slice vegan banana cake.

Lots of water

1 magnesium & calciium tablet before bed.

Wildflower
Mar 20th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Breakfast:
Half of my mom's sandwich (tomato and cucumber sandwich with olive oil and zatar)

Tigerlily,

I saw zatar and sumac at the middle eastern market I go to and remembered them being discussed here. Do I just mix the spice with olive oil into a paste? Or what do I do with it?

:D

Tigerlily
Mar 20th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Everyone fromn the middle east does it differently. Some people add the olive oil to make a paste, others (like my family) has two bowls: one with olive oil and one with zatar. Take your pita bread piece, dip it in the olive oil, and then dip it in the zatar. Eat it like that! Or you could open up a pita pocket, drizzle some olive oil and add some zatar, sliced tomatoes, etc, and eat it like that. Or you can go the unconvential route, and add to sandwiches and salads for extra flavouring.

Does yours have seasme seeds in it?

Roxy
Mar 20th, 2006, 04:17 AM
I bought some Zatar from the markets in Australia and it was yummy! We dipped our bread in some macadamia oil first before dipping it in the zatar and mmmmmmmmm - it was good!

Wildflower
Mar 20th, 2006, 05:02 AM
Does yours have seasme seeds in it?

Thanks Tigerlily. I didn't buy it yet, because I wasn't sure what to do with it. I think it did have sesame seeds though, I will post it when I buy it.

Roxy - you tease me so with your stories of macadamia nut oil! :p mmm..I have been craving macadamia nuts lately, but they are too damn expensive!

Thanks guys, that sounds really yummy so I am going to pick some up the next time I am there...probably Tuesday.

Roxy
Mar 20th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Roxy - you tease me so with your stories of macadamia nut oil! :p mmm..I have been craving macadamia nuts lately, but they are too damn expensive!

LOL :D It really is a lovely oil but VERY expensive. Here in Canada it's about $17 for 250ml. I have my parents send it to me in 2L containers from Australia. Much less expensive that way (even when postage costs are taken into consideration).

I don't waste it on frying stuff etc - I'll use it if I'm cooking something sweet such as brownies or cake, or use it in salad dressings etc......things where you really want to taste the macadamia nuttiness of the oil :D

Wildflower
Mar 20th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Drool!

I have been trying to shop around for macadamia nuts here, but the cheapest I found them were $16 a pound. I may have to splurge soon as my cravings are out of control!

Cherry
Mar 20th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Tigerlily/Roxy - what's Zatar?

For breakfast I've just had a large glass of apple & mango juice, and a big bowl of homemade muesli (with raisins, apricots, dates, hazelnuts, brazil nuts, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds) with fresh strawberries!

I feel so healthy. I thought I'd better post this now as no doubt by about 6 this evening the chocolate cravings will have started! :D

foxytina_69
Mar 20th, 2006, 01:06 PM
ive just come up with an idea everyone.

how about if i post what im planning to eat tommorow, and anyone can give me suggestions about what to add/take away to make it healthier :) that way i can make the appropriate changes before the day is over!

okay, heres what i plan to eat tommorow. feel free to make suggestions on what i should do different.

breakfast:
-strawberry smoothie (strawberries, orange juice, soy milk and ice)
snack:
-beets
lunch:
-brown rice w/ mixed veggies, lentils, nutritional yeast and tamari
snack:
-almonds
-1 tbs natural peanut butter
dinner:
-veggie balls (carrot/onion/bread crumb/spices/nutritional yeast mixture made into balls) w/ tomato sauce
-soy milk

i also on a daily basis take a high quality multivitamin and calcium/zinc/magnesium supplements.

after entering this into fitday, its about 1200 calories, 40 grams of fiber and 50 grams of protein.

foxytina_69
Mar 21st, 2006, 08:33 AM
okay so i ended up eating the same thing, minus the beets. i ended up with 35 grams of fiber and 50 grams of protein.

i hope noone minds me doing this. i figure its the best place to get feedback.

tommorow i plan to eat:

breakfast:
-2 slices rice toast
-scrambled tofu (with nutritional yeast)
-medium potato, baked
snack:
-beets
dinner:
-brown rice/lentil/vegetable mixture w/ tamari
-cup of soy milk

probably a smoothie aswell.

that would bring me to 30 grams of fiber and 60 grams of protein.

Tigerlily
Mar 21st, 2006, 12:42 PM
Tigerlily/Roxy - what's Zatar?

It's a Middle Eastern spice mix with seasme seeds and other spices I don't know. These spices don't grow naturally here, only the Middle East.

speedylemons
Mar 21st, 2006, 01:50 PM
Yesterday i felt pretty good about what i ate, so i'll post it here. I felt healthy after eating it all. :D

B: strawberries, kiwi, banana with 2 tbsp ground flaxseed. cup of tea

Snacks throughout the day: pot of tea, half an orange, two strawberries, half cup of grape juice, 2 clif bars :o

Late late dinner [i met these new people who are totally cool with cooking vegan meals with meee! whoo]: Edamame, some sweet potato fries, fruit salad [strawberries, blueberries, banana, kiwi, grn grapes], homemade sushi with avocado, carrot, shiitaki mushrooms and cukes, and a really great stirfry with baby corn, carrots, green & wax beans, and i think some snow peas too.. probably some others.

For dessert i had two huuuuge strawberries dipped in all natural creamy peanut butter.. mmmmmm

DancingWillow
Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:46 PM
Yesterday...

Breakfast:
bowl of organic whole grain flax-soy-blueberry cereal with almond milk and cinnamon
1 banana
8 oz. strawberries

Snack:
1 cup herbal tea

Lunch:
Organic sauteed veggies (onion, carrots, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, and a mix of four different kinds of organic mushrooms) over a base of garlic cous-cous
1 home-made brownie

Snacks:
1 glass orange juice
a bunch of strawberries
1 organic kiwi
1 tbsp peanut butter
about 2 oz. cocoa marble fudge rice ice-cream

Dinner:
Big salad with all organic veggies (baby spinach, red chard, cilantro, tomato, cucumber, and avocado) with about 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast, sea salt, and olive oil
2 slices of organic whole grain multigrain-oat bread
Handful of chocolate chips for dessert

Yoggy
Mar 22nd, 2006, 08:13 PM
okay so i ended up eating the same thing, minus the beets. i ended up with 35 grams of fiber and 50 grams of protein.

i hope noone minds me doing this. i figure its the best place to get feedback.

tommorow i plan to eat:

breakfast:
-2 slices rice toast
-scrambled tofu (with nutritional yeast)
-medium potato, baked
snack:
-beets
dinner:
-cup of soy milk

probably a smoothie aswell.

that would bring me to 30 grams of fiber and 60 grams of protein. I'm probably not in much of a position to give nutrition advice, but I don't see any fresh fruit or veggies on the list, except the strawberries in the smoothie. I think adding a big salad or plate of mixed veggies with dip would make it a very healthy day :)

Also, where is all that fibre and protein coming from? I have so much trouble getting even 25 grams of fibre or protein a day, and I eat a LOT. On the other hand, I don't eat very many legumes, which probably accounts for it :o

I think my meals today are worthy of this thread :D

Breakfast: oatmeal with a little organic sugar and a small handful of sunflower seeds mixed in

Lunch (spread over late morning/early afternoon):
organic sliced kiwi
2 organic carrots (unpeeled)
veggie wrap on a sprouted Ezekiel tortilla with: mixture of 1 Tbsp each Tofutti cream cheese and Vegi dill dressing; half a shredded organic carrot; diced organic red pepper; few leaves of romaine lettuce; and organic alfalfa sprouts.
3 whole wheat fig cookies
some whole wheat crackers

Snack: probably some fresh carrot juice, since I have SO many carrots to get rid of!

Supper: will probably be homemade pizza with a yeast-free, whole wheat crust, veggie pepperoni, organic red pepper, and Follow Your Heart cheese (okay, my supper isn't the healthiest, but I'm sorta proud of the rest of my day :o )

Snack: will be about 12 oz freshly juiced apple juice, or however much juice comes from my remaining organic Granny Smith apples :)

Roxy
Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:41 AM
I have so much trouble getting even 25 grams of fibre or protein a day, and I eat a LOT. On the other hand, I don't eat very many legumes, which probably accounts for it :o

You need to eat more of those tacquitos :D They have 7 grams of protien each!

Tigerlily
Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:46 AM
Let's see if I remember everything!

Breakfast:
Bowl of strawberry soy yogurt with fresh strawberries
1/2 a bagel with natural peanut butter and fruit spread (which is different than jam as fruit is the main ingredient, not sugar)
A few sips of berry herbal tea but it was too gross to finish
A glass and a half of chocolate almond milk

Lunch:
Sauteed mushrooms and onions (in olive oil) seasoned with cumin, soy sauce, black pepper, and this "parmasean cheese" made from nutritional yeast and seasme seeds, served over brown rice
Granny smith apple

Snack:
A couple of fudge covered Oreos
Half a cup of plain soy milk

Supper:
2 servings of lentils and rice dish
Sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, some salsa, and pickled turnip

Dessert:
Bowl of strawberry soy yogurt with fresh strawberries

Evening snack:
1/2 a bagel with fruit spread
Another glass of almond milk

EDIT:

I also had another bowl of the lentil and rice stuff.

herbwormwood
Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:20 AM
ive just come up with an idea everyone.

how about if i post what im planning to eat tommorow, and anyone can give me suggestions about what to add/take away to make it healthier :) that way i can make the appropriate changes before the day is over!

This is fine if we normally do eat what you plan on eating, but a lot of us don't. I think for most of us it is best to describe what we actually did eat, maybe from the day before, as good intentions so often fall by the wayside! :)

foxytina_69
Mar 23rd, 2006, 03:50 PM
i updated it as i went along, and ended up eating everything i planned except the beets :) i always eat what i plan! i do it daily :)

yoggy, the fiber is coming from the potato, brown rice, lentils, vegetables and beets. i dont know how but i always manage to get 30 and over grams of fiber a day, and 50 grams of protein. i just fool around a bit on fitday with amounts and plan what ill eat that day, so that i know im getting enough. like right now, im planning what im eating today on fitday and mixing it around until i get enough of each, and add things if i need to. you should try fitday :) it works great.

oh and yoggy, i appreciate any advice given. i DEFINITELY need more fresh fruits/veggies, but i dont have any right now so im just trying to eat what i can! i need to get some salad stuff definitely. oh and i have carrots that i could eat raw. maybe ill eat some of those today :)

foxytina_69
Mar 23rd, 2006, 04:07 PM
okay this is what i plan on having today.

snack:
-slushie
light breakfast:
-slice rice toast w/ natural peanut butter
lunch:
-other half of strawberry smoothie
snack:
-carrot sticks w/ dressing
dinner:
-homemade brown rice/lentil vegetable soup
-baked potato
snack:
-popcorn w/ nutritional yeast

that brings me to 32 grams of fiber, and 50 grams of protein, whilst staying in my calorie limit.

i dont know if ill beable to eat all that food, i hope so though.

strawberry
Mar 23rd, 2006, 08:19 PM
That sounds good Foxy....although add some more fruit girl! ;)

Tigerlily
Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:13 PM
Breakfast:
Seasme seed bagel with Earth Balance and fruit spread
Glass of chocolate almond milk

Morning snack:
1/2 a can of baked beans
Cup of black tea

Lunch:
Melted soy mozzarella on crackers with tomatoes (ran out of nacho chips)
Salad made from baby greens, tomatoes, green pepper, radish, and broccoli topped with shredded soy cheese, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and this savoury seasoning made from seasme seeds and nutritional yeast
Glass of apple juice

Post-Lunch Dessert :) :
Bowl of strawberry soy yogurt with strawberry slices, banana slices, and sprinkled with hemp hearts/seeds

Afternoon snack:
Cup of extra milky tea

Supper:
Serving of a middle eastern lentil and rice dish
Serving of roasted veggies (potatoes, carrots, zuccini)
Side of salad (made from baby greens, tomatoes, radish, and broccoli topped with olive oil, and apple cider vinegar)
1 tsp of flax oil drizzled over everything
A few spoonfuls of the seasme seed-nutritional yeast seasoning sprinkled over everything

Dessert:
Smoothie made from soy milk, frozen strawberries, banana, and hemp hearts

I don't know what else for this evening, it's only 7:15!

DancingWillow
Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:39 PM
Wow Tigerlily, that's a REALLY healthy and yummy day! I want to eat what you ate:)