PDA

View Full Version : Proud to eat healthy

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

applepie
Nov 5th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Breakfast: porridge with mashed banana, raisins and toasted nuts
Throughout the day (at uni): 3 apples, orange, carrot sticks, baby tomatoes, few rice cakes
Dinner: veg stir-fry (cabbage, mushrooms, pepper, water chestnuts, beansprouts) served with brown rice and soy sauce
Snack: few dates with a bit of tahini

terra
Nov 5th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Wow terra! You had a great day!! :D

Thanks Roxy!!!

It feels good to eat healthy, don't you agree? ;)

terra
Nov 5th, 2005, 10:18 PM
what a yummy thing it is to eat healthy too!

very yummy! I wish I could get more organic produce here though :(

applepie
Nov 6th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Brekkie: soy yog with mixed berries and sprinkle of linseed and toasted nuts
Snack: orange, apple
Lunch: salad (tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, mushrooms, yellow pepper, carrot) with balsamic vinegar and toasted chickpea flatbread
Snack: apple, 2 kiwi fruit
Dinner: roasted root veg (swede, carrots, parsnips) sprinkled with sesame seeds and nutritional yeast and served with quinoa
Snack: hot soya choc :rolleyes: (was studying until late and needed some encouragement...)

moochbabe
Nov 6th, 2005, 06:40 PM
yesterday...
oatmeal with maple syrup and bananas, and some chopped melon; (fried) spring roll, sauteed mintleaves with tofu, bell peppers, and onion, miso soup, some brown rice, and salad with peanut dressing (it was at a vegan restaurant); soy yogurt and a 1/4 of a pineapple; spaghetti with pumpkiny "alfredo" (i made it myself) and mixed green salad (spinach, escarole, red leaf lettuce, romain, and i can't remember what else); mini shredded wheats with almond milk

foxytina_69
Nov 8th, 2005, 02:47 AM
maybe i could post in here today? i think i ate quite good :D

today:

lunch:
-1/4 cup apple sauce
-2 bowls of brown rice w/ tsp vegan butter and 2 tsp organic tamari each
dinner:
-bowl of brown rice pasta w/ sauce, nut. yeast, spices
-bowl of salad (romaine lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, catalina, pepper)
-smoothie (mixed berries, oj w/ calcium, ice)

ETA:
-half big bowl of popcorn with bf
-handful of mixed dried fruit
-glass of oj w/ calcium

is that good, health wise?

Mystic
Nov 8th, 2005, 02:55 AM
Uhhm Foxy, I don't think that is nutritionally adequate. Don't you remember that vegans are supposed to eat ONLY carrot sticks and alfalfa? :rolleyes: :D

Tigerlily
Nov 8th, 2005, 03:14 AM

today:

lunch:
-1/4 cup apple sauce
dinner:

maybe some popcorn with the movie too :D

Eeew, horrible! Your teeth are all gonna fall out! :eek:

:)

ConsciousCuisine
Nov 8th, 2005, 03:22 AM

today:

lunch:
-1/4 cup apple sauce
dinner:

maybe some popcorn with the movie too :D

:o Do you really want me to answer or was this a rhetorical question ;)

Mystic
Nov 8th, 2005, 03:26 AM
Oh CC, it is better than 98% of the population - I think it was fine. At least there was no chocolate, fries, chips or ice cream involved :)

ConsciousCuisine
Nov 8th, 2005, 03:42 AM
See Banana, the thing is, we are vegans are in that less than 2% of the population who needs to very closely pay attention to our nutrition and eat plenty of nutrient-dense foods to ensure we get our minimum needs met (protein, iron, calcium, fiber etc. are very important!). It's important for us to be the picture of health!

I think maybe I just am too technical, bookish and in general a "walking encyclopedia" of knowledge on vegan health for most everyone here. I devote a good deal of my time to keeping current on issues concerning us as vegans and matters of health, wellness and disease prevention. People seem to like what I have to say when they are seeking assistance, but act as if I'm not being "nice" or somthing when I share what I know any other time :( One of the many reasons you'll rarely see me posting anymore :o...(Goes back into lurk/absent mode).

Mystic
Nov 8th, 2005, 03:46 AM
I understand what you are saying, but I don't think Foxy was 'unhealthy'. I don't want to get into a big debate about it :( Sorry you are upset

ConsciousCuisine
Nov 8th, 2005, 03:54 AM
I understand...no one ever wants to debate a differnece of opinion :(

I'm just sad that it seems like things have to be kept "positively superficial", or people act as though I'm mean or something when all I am really being is real and helpful--because I CARE. You won't hear me say: "Oh, yeah! You had a GREAT day!" when I really don't feel that way at all--what kind of friend would I be if I saw room for helping and withheld that help?

It seems as though it's considered wrong somehow (by some) for a question to be asked and for me to answer it honestly. Like, saying that her diet is protein-deficient in answer to her question would somehow be construed as an "attack" when it is actually an act of love for me to point out (when asked, especially) what she could be doing to improve her chances of vibrant health and disease prevention...Why is this :confused:

Mystic
Nov 8th, 2005, 03:59 AM
I never said it was wrong to point out those things - I just think that Foxy's meals were not unhealthy

Also remember that she doen't have much money and she tries her best on what she has. I understand that you are trying to help, but I know people who don't eat vegetables or fruit at all Noone is going to have a perfect diet, and I know that I try my best, but don't succeed - life takes over. I appreciate your constructive criticism, but come on, her food wasn't unhealthy. Maybe you could make suggestions for improvement, instead of implying the nutritional deficits???

Btw, I do not think you are mean at all

Roxy
Nov 8th, 2005, 04:01 AM
very yummy! I wish I could get more organic produce here though :(

I know what you mean. There is a bit of a selection of organic produce where I shop but not nearly enough. I'd say the organics section of the produce department would be equivalent to about 10%. I could travel further to have a better selection but then I don't know.......extra fuel, extra pollution etc etc.

On the whole though - I am seeing more organics that I did say, this time last year.

ConsciousCuisine
Nov 8th, 2005, 04:05 AM
I never said it was wrong to point out those things - I just think that Foxy's meals were not unhealthy

Also remember that she doen't have much money and she tries her best on what she has. I understand that you are trying to help, but I know people who don't eat vegetables or fruit at all Noone is going to have a perfect diet, and I know that I try my best, but don't succeed - life takes over. I appreciate your constructive criticism, but come on, her food wasn't unhealthy. Maybe you could make suggestions for improvement, instead of implying the nutritional deficits???

Btw, I do not think you are mean at all

Well, that's one person who doesn't think I'm mean :) I'm glad ;)

I *have* suggested what would be healthy for her, on numerous occasions, on the forum and in private.

It's the same thing I always say (and everyone may be tired of hearing it) Greens and beans! Lentils, beans and green leafies! Whole foods over processed! Once again, greens and beans! Kale, broccoli, bok choy, cabbage, black beans, red green and brown lentils :D

Seriously, if there were lentils or beans in her day, it would be such an improvement :)

Foxy, it looks like you had around 15 grams of protein...adding in beans or lentils would up the protein and fiber for your day, making it a GREAT day ;)

Mystic
Nov 8th, 2005, 04:06 AM

Banana is happy

LittleNellColumbia
Nov 8th, 2005, 04:11 AM

ConsciousCuisine
Nov 8th, 2005, 04:14 AM
Happycow, what a beautiful improvement! Keep up the good work! Adequate calories, lots of variety and an array of nutrients! Wow. You should be proud of yourself! (I AM! ;) ).

Mystic
Nov 8th, 2005, 04:14 AM
Yep Happycow - you have the alfalfa so you qualify ;)

What about me:

B1- mango & a punnet of strawberries
B2- smoothie made from calcium OJ, blueberries & banana
S: 5 dried figs
L: butterbean soup w/ 2 slices of toast. apple & a carrot.
D: will be Sesame Asian stir fry (bok choy, broccoli, snow peas w/ sesame oil, toated sesame seeds, garlic, chilli & tamari) w/ basmati rice. mango.
S: 2 medjool dates stuffed w/ walnuts

terra
Nov 8th, 2005, 04:16 AM
I know what you mean. There is a bit of a selection of organic produce where I shop but not nearly enough. I'd say the organics section of the produce department would be equivalent to about 10%. I could travel further to have a better selection but then I don't know.......extra fuel, extra pollution etc etc.

On the whole though - I am seeing more organics that I did say, this time last year.

Well - that's an improvement! It's better than nothing. :)

There is only one grocery store in my town to get organic anything... the produce looks old and wilty. I buy it anyways. I'd rather it wilty, bruised and organic than full of pesticides...

Roxy - I think you should move to kelowna... My aunt is a health nut and she says it's awesome out there for organics (I still haven't found out the names of those restaurants yet ;))... If she ends up coming to visit in the spring(both of my sisters are getting married :eek:, otherwise, she wouldn't come out to ontario...haha), I'm going to get her to bring me some stuff like earth balance and some yummy stuff I can't get here!

I know what you mean about driving to get better organics... My boyfriend and I try very hard not to drive the car anywhere. I think the closest place to get better organics would be 40 minutes away...if not further... that's just out of the question. I'm glad you make the right choice about fuel and the environment Roxy! :)

LittleNellColumbia
Nov 8th, 2005, 04:17 AM

Roxy
Nov 8th, 2005, 04:20 AM
LOL well if we don't move to Australia when my boyfriend retires.......we will move upto our house in Kelowna.

(BTW my b/f is 21 years my senior, so retirement isn't all that far away. Well maybe another 10 years ;) )

Oh and also - do you know the Pyramid Winery on Lakeshore? The road our house is on, runs just off Lakeshore, near the winery.

terra
Nov 8th, 2005, 04:56 AM
Roxy - unfortunately - I've never been to kelowna.... :( I hope to go someday soon. :)
I moved back to ontario before my aunt moved to kelowna, and I haven't travelled since.

I'm sure my aunt knows where that is. Her house is very close to lakeshore!

Do you think you'll be moving back to Australia Roxy? My sister moved there 6 months ago, after living in BC for a few months. She loves it there! But her aussie boyfriend wants to come to Canada! Which country would you consider to be a better place to live?

CC - Judging from your posts, I think you are very considerate and helpful.
You are always willing to help others and I think that is an awesome thing!
I've always enjoyed your post and have taken many good ideas and information from you! so, Thank You!

Thank you also, for reminding me about the legumes in my pantry. I seem to always forget the chickpeas, kidney beans and navybeans that I have on hand.

When I feel like eating something quick though, I usually go for a can of lentil vegetable soup...it's one of my favorite soups.

I started buying bok choy and kale because of you. :D

Thank you for being so aware of the health risks for vegans and sharing your knowledge with everyone here. I can only imagine how many PM's you get with health & food related questions. I am very greatful that we you here to help healthy veganism stay strong.

foxytina_69
Nov 8th, 2005, 05:42 AM
first of all, i ate much more calories than i usually do today. second of all, ive been eating a ton of beans the past while because theyre cheap. i eat lots of baked beans or homemade chili with lots of veggies in it. i just didnt happen to eat them today. third of all, ive been eating salad ALOT more, which is leafy greens. and lastly, i actually got around 44 grams of protein. definitely not enough, i should be getting around 50 grams, but definitely not 15. and like banana said, i did good with what i had. i think i ate great, and i am proud of myself for getting leafy greens, veggies, fruits, brown rice, and nutritional yeast, aswell as enough fiber (33 grams) and calories (1843) and lots of vitamins/minerals. i even got in a good amount of calcium today aswell.

i think i did great :)

i appreciate your constructive criticism cc, but instead of telling me how good i did despite my normal eating habits, u tell me what i did wrong. i dont thats very constructive as it doesnt make me feel very good, even when i DO try :( being constructive is encouraging people, not making them feel badly. i know that wasnt your intent cc, but maybe because you are so "by the book" thats how you come across sometimes. ive learned alot from you, and i appreciate that so much. so thank you for always giving me and everyone else advice. :)