PDA

View Full Version : Crafty ways to end ignorance

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

txartcgal
May 19th, 2007, 12:39 PM
There are so many good ideas floating around here. Thanks! I try to cook a lot for others because so many people have a very stubborn tofu-lettuce-leaf stereotyped mentality about veganism and when they eat a vegan cupcake, for example, it really seems to enlighten them. The person who most contributed to my "conversion" to veganism always seemed to have fun with it, and that's what intrigued me.

I do this as well! Also...I have taken some friends and/or co-workers out to eat at our local vegan restaurant just so they can see there are other meals besides zucchini and tofu (as one of my friends thought). In fact...on Monday I am planning on taking some brownies to work! :)

liusaidh
Jun 14th, 2007, 04:16 PM
I like slapping stickers everywhere, and writing on public loos, heh
I also have blogs on my myspace page and often forward things to people via email, but I found that you often get bad responses from graphic photos, people don't take to well to being proven wrong so abruptly.

When people come round my house, there are often leaflets and things laying around that people look at, I often see facing screwed up in disgust, so hopefully it's sinking it!

I take much pride in wearing my tshirts too :)

Linxie
Jun 15th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I use humour a lot, particularly when people make comments to me. I don't like to get into big debates with people ... unless they are picking a fight with me of course!

Recently I had a cold and quite a few people said "what you need is some red meat inside you". My response was "No thanks, the cold is bad enough, I don't want to contract mad cows disease as well". Even though I was just making a joke, I think it does still make people think.

When I lived at home with my meat-eating family, I would forever find joints of red meat defrosting in the kitchen! I always used to ask my Mum is I could take it into the garden and give it a proper burial ;o)

danaeonyx
Jul 16th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Where's a good place to buy leaflets in bulk? I was thinking of walking round my neighbourhood putting leaflets in doors. A bit like a paper round!

cobweb
Jul 16th, 2007, 06:42 PM
^ Viva, Animal Aid, Vegan Society all do bulk leaflets on various different topics :) .

pat sommer
Jul 16th, 2007, 09:50 PM
nice humour, Linxie!
I commented to my daughter well within earshot of other patrons: "rumpsteak aged 21 days; that cow has been dead longer than grandma." ...sad, but true.

thealyssa
Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:44 AM
I find that the best way to promote veganism is to:
1) not talk about the animals -- everyone knows about it and just gets annoyed. Think of feminism and the negative connotation that it has recieved despite some awesome ideals; I don't want to do that to veganism
2) have parties where the food is vegan -- but don't make a big deal about it. People then realize that vegan food tastes good -- and the best way to anybody's heart is through their stomache!
3) When people ask me why I became vegan, which they always end up doing since I won't bring it up, is I be honest with them, and don't hate on them for their eating choices (if they are omni). The last thing you want is defensiveness, or to make them feel inadequate, which will only distance them from veganism.
A lot of the time, I feel that people are repelled by veganism because of the big deal everyone makes of it. It makes it more scary to transition since it seems like such a big deal -- when really our life should only change in diet and some ways of thinking. I show people that I have an average, yet more than satisfying life, and veganism is a part of it -- though not wholly responsible. Through this, a lot of people have come to me with questions and their doubts/fears about veganism. I help to alleviate them and don't push them into anything they're not ready for since I know that if they do it out of guilt, it will last less long than if they came to develop a good reason to abstain from meat/dairy/eggs and a way of eating and living comfortably. It's all about showing them the possibilities, and not having anger with them for only being able to see the limitations.
It is sort of how confidence is attractive -- not over confidence. You want to love veganism, but not be an overzealous smothering idiot.

laserblast
Aug 10th, 2007, 12:05 PM
This is always such a difficult situation. I agree that the militant standpoint is a great way to alienate or anger people and rarely has any positive effect.

Within my own group of friends and family, I try to cook a lot. Everyone already knows that I'm vegan, but sitting them down for a delicious meal provides a great opportunity to talk to them about the food, where it came from, what ISNT in it, and what vegan products I might have used to create the meal. ("I'm glad you liked the mashed potatoes. I used soymilk and Earth Balance butter, which is vegan. You should try it!", etc.)

Zorillo
Sep 13th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Where's a good place to buy leaflets in bulk? I was thinking of walking round my neighbourhood putting leaflets in doors. A bit like a paper round!

Maybe it is best to put stickers where a lot of people can see them because it is less wastage, more people may see them and it will save time. Example of what to put: "In commercial honeyproduction, bees are subjected to procedures similar to those of factory farming". Also "Cows produce milk to feed their young so isn't it unnatural for us". Also "meat intensive diets contribute to global warming, deforestation, desertification, water pollution and the malnourishment of people". That way you have covered the environment, health and animal cruelty.

You could give them to companies who are advertised on leaflets put through your home door. Another point: Junk mail put through your box, deliver to the companies advertised. I might of done that a few times. Perhaps even contact companies, explaining you received a leaflet, and advertise veganism. I handed papers to people straight after I got them posted through my door. If enough people posted unwanted leaflets back to companies, then maybe we won't get as much junk mail

Blue moon
Sep 13th, 2007, 01:56 PM
If enough people posted unwanted leaflets back to companies, then maybe we won't get as much junk mail

Yes, though in the UK sadly it depends what the junk mail is. Any leaflets, magazine types, or polythene wrapped stuff that's blatant junk, the Post Office send straight to landfill and don't bother to return to sender as marked!:mad:

To avoid sending it to landfill, and get it back to the company to get the message drip by drip, take out any envelope provided for "orders" and use that wherever possible.

Zorillo
Sep 13th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Not stick them in a post box, but the companies' box if you happen to be walking near there.

Blue moon
Sep 13th, 2007, 03:49 PM
ah, I see :o

Zorillo
Jun 15th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Date a meat eater, make them fall in love with you, turn 'em vegan then move on to the next one :P

Elahiya
Jun 15th, 2008, 09:03 PM
LOL great idea!!!

Laura-Louise
Jun 16th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Date a meat eater, make them fall in love with you, turn 'em vegan then move on to the next one :P

Great idea Abby, I'm actually halfway there at the moment, although he's irritating me so much right now, I might just skip to the "move on to the next one" part. (Only joking - he will be vegan someday!)

Zorillo
Jun 16th, 2008, 10:48 PM
By the way, I haven't managed to do that!

jonny_mears
Jun 17th, 2008, 12:10 AM
good ideas people! does anyone know where you can buy good stickers in bulk? some organisations sell them individually, but it would be good to get a sheet or more of small stickers to put up everywhere...

exec
Jun 23rd, 2008, 07:44 AM
I have an idea of making a box sat on the backseat of my bicycle. I am thinking of designing the box to contain different categories of information in the forms of leaflets. Then I'll put some bright words on the outside of the box to attract people to come and take a look at it, and then take those leaflets. I'm currently starting to do that.

tofuandpotatoes
Jun 28th, 2008, 10:02 AM
seeing such dedication fills me with the happiness i felt when i first joined these boards.
i still remember what i thought:
"finally, a peta2 without the unintelligent and useless posts, and absent of the hypocrasy." :)

but what i always thought was the best way to get the word out without having to do much is to do publicly noticeable things, like putting up posters, talking to people personally and loudly, and drawing banners or graphic images on sidewalks with chalk.

Fungus
Jun 28th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I'm thinking of painting my bike and having ' Veg-powered ^ ' on the crossbar with an arrow pointing up to me ... so when I'm overtaking omni's they'll see it.. :)

Zorillo
Sep 23rd, 2008, 07:09 PM
I covered a badge and put the words "Go vegan" on it. I suggest attaching thread to the badge and the bag or whatever to help it to stay on. I've been wearing my t-shirt on the street I got recently. I got stopped by a vegan I guess by what he said. He was on about a demo, etc. Maybe I'll get a Meat eater asking questions. If I look so healthy when I'm wearing one, then maybe that will be encouraging to others!

Should be "vegan powered" shown as big as possible!

journey
Sep 28th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Where can I get free good brief pamphlets encouraging veganism, in America (British Vegan Society has some great ones, but it's not cost effective to send to me because of the shipping cost to them)? Especially I'm looking for something that does not show the gore - sometimes that's effective, but a lot of times it turns people off from reading it - I've seen some like the Brit Vegan Society that mention the cruelty but without being quite so graphic, which would work better for places I want to leaflet.

I'm concerned with leaflets getting thrown away and therefore wasting money/resources, so I usually don't leave them in picnic grounds at picnic tables like I used to, but going to start putting them on the free lit rack at the grocery stores - then people can take them if they want them, but not so likely to just get thrown out.

Zorillo
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:41 PM
As well as getting leaflets, maybe write big phrases on the back of old envelopes and cut them up. It is likely to grab peoples attention with big writing, and keep their attention, although leaflets may help. Perhaps instead of handing them out when people don't want them and they are thrown to the ground, stick them on walls of rehearsal studios, supermarkets, etc.

People could make more effort wearing jumpers and t-shirts to promote. I have worn a t-shirt loads lately. If people see several people wandering around with them, maybe that would be encouraging. Example: imagine you seeing a word around a lot, then you start wondering what it is about. Then you look on The Internet after seeing it around a lot. You find out it is a band. You then listen to the music. Um... it will be cold soon, so maybe I'll have to get a "Go Vegan" jumper!

Zorillo
Sep 29th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Leave a website open when finishing on the Internet in libraries. Start a new session so it stays on for longer

ClawsyWP
Oct 4th, 2008, 01:57 AM
i email people. i post on other forums...i do talk about the animals when i do these things.many people do not know of the worst cruelty.
i have my vege boots which i wear everywhere, and make sure the tag saying vegetarian shoes' is visible all the time.
me and husband put AR messages and pictures, links onto msn messenger profiles. he put the link to the dog being skinned alive on his msn and colleagues watched it and were appalled, i thought that was a great thing to do.

also t shirts, 'meat is murder' is a good t shirt i have. remeber on the train a young boy reading it and his father looking annoyed. i think t shirts are great. kids get to see them and kids are open to caring for animals a lot more than most adults.