PDA

View Full Version : Crafty ways to end ignorance

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Michelle
Jul 26th, 2004, 06:32 PM
I wanted to start this thread because of a conversation that was going on in the animals forum about how to help convince friends and family or ANYBODY how cruel the meat, egg and dairy industry is. Geoff gave the following input:

"There are a lot of things one can do to 'convince' people to become vegan without having to confront them: Copy and distribute PETAs 'Veganism In A Nutshell or 'Meet Your Meat', Leave vegan magazines etc in waiting areas, donate books to libraries, give away 10% of your income (or whatever) to organisations promoting veganism or helping the hungry with vegan food like Vegfam.
My daughter has covered the walls of her toilet with animal rights and veg posters which promotes a lot of interest.
I put posters in the back window of my car to give following drivers something to read and think about.
I admire the Jehovas Witnesses and Mormons who feel so strongly about their beliefs that they doorknock houses to tell others. Surely, if we care about the animals, we should be doing all we can to convince others."

I thought it would be a neat idea if we all brainstormed up some ideas for distributing literature. I like the idea about leaving literature in waiting areas. Surely someone in a doctor's waiting room would sit long enough to read...and being in a doctor's office...maybe they would be thinking more deeply about their own health. Anyway...I'll start by naming something that I plan to do right away:

1. Send information via email to everyone in my address book and ESPECIALLY start sending a lot of it to people who forward everything in the world to me! I'll think I'll start by sending just some terrible photographs from slaughterhouses and explaining their origin.

Thanks for reading! :)

gertvegan
Jul 26th, 2004, 06:43 PM
I have some leaflets and whenever I catch the bus, I leave a leaflet on the seat or some way attach it to the back of the seat in front, or leave it in the free newspaper thats always available on board. One of the leaflets, a viva leaflet, has a child smoking a fag and eating a burger. This is great at the moment, being school summer hols and all. Either way, the leaflet is there to be read in the persons own time, no pressures. :cool:

ConsciousCuisine
Jul 26th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Anyway...I'll start by naming something that I plan to do right away:
1. Send information via email to everyone in my address book and ESPECIALLY start sending a lot of it to people who forward everything in the world to me! I'll think I'll start by sending just some terrible photographs from slaughterhouses and explaining their origin.

Thanks for reading! :)
I relate to your zeal and passion to educate others! If you take this approach you have described, please know that you will likely upset, irritate and shock the recipients rather than open up a productive dialogue with them about sensible, conscious choices and transitioning towards better ecological, ethical, health and compassionate living. You might also end up exposing very young children to these gory photos unintentionally if you send a bulk mailing of this kind, and I know you wouldn't want to do that...

Perhaps just sending out email describing how you feel and what you have learned with an appropriate link like AFA where they can choose to sign up for a free "Vegan Starter Pack" from Action For Animals in Seattle. (WWW.afa-online.org (http://www.afa-online.org))

Blessings and let me know what responses you get from whatever you send out!

St George
Jul 26th, 2004, 08:12 PM
In my signature on other,non animal message boards,i provide links to PETA(i am not a big fan of them,but they provide good info on their site) and Animal Aid.

It is only a small step,but if it makes a couple of people visit the sites who wouldnt otherwise,then it is worth it.

Michelle
Jul 26th, 2004, 08:43 PM
ConsciousCuisine: While I do believe that people need to see these gory things, I know you are right about the children. I do want to shock people into thinking about this, but I don't want them to start avoiding me while they keep eating meat, so I get your point.

St George: That's an idea, and I suppose it is a start.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm obsessing. I've been home sick for a couple of days with energy to do no more than surf around and watch videos like "Meet Your Meat". This is all stemming from my recent decision to go vegan. I haven't felt this strongly against eating meat since 1996 when I first went veggie, ya know? Anyway...I'm very thankful that you guys are here letting me vent. Maybe I'll go take a nap and chill :)

ConsciousCuisine
Jul 26th, 2004, 11:04 PM
I understand and agree! People DO need to know that they are believing lies that have been told to us all about meat and the treatment of animals in general, not to mention the ecological and health issues raised by consuming animal products!

I feel so intensely about this that it makes me too uncomfortable, sad, irritated and so on to even eat with others eating meat or animal products! I have been in "Vegan Exile" for a while now, because I just feel so strongly that it's no good for the meat-eaters (or for my well-being either) to mingle at meal time...on the plus side, I get to educate several new people daily when I work with clients! I often don't even mention the term "vegan" but stick to talking in terms of choosing more "whole foods, natural, plant-based foods, high fiber, antioxidant rich, mineral rich, natural, good-Karma foods, eating low on the food chain and cruelty-free" and so on. I have helped more people this way, by tempering -without watering down-my zeal to educate and empower others. I find it satisfying when I hear a 64 year old client (who has never tried soy or rice milk even) switching to almond milk for her breakfast cereal and that she likes it "even more than milk! And no cholesterol!" . I know that being more gentle is the way I reach more people. It has taken a long time for me to get to this point, and I still can get a bit didactic! (I am only human...)

I owe some of the credit to Blake. I have an 11 year old "Vegan Avenger" for a daughter. She is outspoken and still very kind to others and EXTREMELY aware (in that pre-teen way girls can be) of others feelings and reactions. It is a joy to see her develop tact and compassion...not just for the animals, but for those still eating them! She teaches me by example to be more kind and gentle in my delivery...

Blessings~

Trendygirl
Sep 15th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Putting leaflets on the back of toilet doors is a good idea. Try doing it at your university if you can. I’m going to put some up about fur and leather in the toilets that the fashion students use. I know a lot of them and some are even happy to use fur! If I manage to change just one of there minds they might change the minds of there future employers.

You could also stick some up on the back of the changing room door in shops, by the time they notice it’s there they won’t know who put it there.

wuggy
Sep 15th, 2004, 09:52 PM
When there was an anti-'Boots' campaign (British chemist chainstore), I went in to a few stores with bundles of anti Boots leaflets, took the Boots own leaflets out of their dispensers, and replaced them with the campaign ones. As they had the 'Boots' logo on the front, shoppers were taking them with them to read, only to be shocked by the evidence in front of them (i.e Boots torture Beagles, etc.).
Also I have spent hours before mailing all my neighbours with helpful leaflets.

Left of Centre
Sep 16th, 2004, 12:15 PM
I'm a member of a couple of other forums, and most people in them know me as the resident 'animal rights nutter'. But I have a good reputation for being helpful and non abusive. So I do post quite a few things about AR on there - often causing massive debates (see here for an example http://forums.handbag.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=182950 )

I can honestly say, going by the amount of emails and private messages I get on the subject, I've managed to single-handedly 'challenge' quite a few peoples views, and their eating and shopping habits.

I also have a signature on my emails, that automatically sends out a link of my choosing - this week it's 'Meet your meat' from Peta - to anyone I mail or reply to.

And you can't miss the sticker in the back of my car - simple and thought provoking, and you have no choice but to read it when stuck behind me in a jam! ;)

Cloudy
Sep 16th, 2004, 12:32 PM
When there was an anti-'Boots' campaign (British chemist chainstore), I went in to a few stores with bundles of anti Boots leaflets, took the Boots own leaflets out of their dispensers, and replaced them with the campaign ones. As they had the 'Boots' logo on the front, shoppers were taking them with them to read, only to be shocked by the evidence in front of them (i.e Boots torture Beagles, etc.).

Haha, I like it!

gertvegan
Sep 16th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Here in the uk theres a very popular bike ride from London to Brighton ( only 57 miles )each year. Approx 27000 people enter the race to raise money for The British Heart Foundation who look into finding a cure for heart disease. This year myself, another veganforumer and six others ( all vegan ) did the ride in meat is murder t-shirts on old fashioned butchers bikes with the aim to promote prevention is better than cure. We handed out various leaflets along the way inluding some promoting www.britishheartlessfoundation.com . Just to be clear, we didn't enter the ride ourselves. Theres always next year.

wuggy
Sep 16th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Saw that posted on Vegan Village, Gertvegan - great thinking!

Hemlock
Jan 28th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I found out the hard way that being militant about veganism just doesn't work, I suppose any psychologist could have told me that. It just p*sses people off.
So today I tried a different approach and trollied off to my local supermarket having first made my hair all curly with tongs, put loads of makeup on (vegan of course) and worn my best gear.
Arrived at the checkout looking great and smiling and people actually stopped to see what was in my trolley - I chatted with several people about what my health secret was. I started out saying I was on a vegan diet as a cure for my arthritis and had felt so fantastic on it I'd never go back to eating animal products again.
There was a lot of interest:D Yes I know, using feminine wiles is a rotten cheat but who cares, it got people interested:)

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 28th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Who doesn't like a little sugar ;) ?

twinkle
Jan 28th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Woohoo! good going, Hemlock :)

Blueshark
Jan 28th, 2006, 04:20 PM
I found out the hard way that being militant about veganism just doesn't work, I suppose any psychologist could have told me that. It just p*sses people off.
So today I tried a different approach and trollied off to my local supermarket having first made my hair all curly with tongs, put loads of makeup on (vegan of course) and worn my best gear.
Arrived at the checkout looking great and smiling and people actually stopped to see what was in my trolley - I chatted with several people about what my health secret was. I started out saying I was on a vegan diet as a cure for my arthritis and had felt so fantastic on it I'd never go back to eating animal products again.
There was a lot of interest:D Yes I know, using feminine wiles is a rotten cheat but who cares, it got people interested:)

Nice one. And whats more it probably made you feel good.

Pilaf
Jan 28th, 2006, 04:57 PM
I actually became vegan because a really cute vegan girl in a chat room said she would only have sex with vegan guys. :D

RedWellies
Jan 29th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Did you get to meet her, Pilaf?

kriz
Jan 29th, 2006, 05:50 PM
I think the best way to represent veganism and push the agenda is to be mentally and physically healthy (at least pretend he, he), and to be kind to others - even if they make us angry with all sorts of things they say and do. So many omnis stereotype vegans as being mentally unstable misanthropes, who cares more about animals than humans. It's so far from the truth - the vegans I know (myself included) care deeply about their fellow human beings and all human related issues of this world. I think veganism strengten one's compassion period. I do, however, often feel depressed about all the animal cruelty and violence perpetrated against people. But I think it's normal, it's a sign that I'm a thinking compassionate being, not only absorbed and preoccupied by my own personal problems.

Havings said that, I do belive in taking it a little further and try to impact people by giving flyers to friends, co-workers etc. I also put a few in my gym and in places such as doctor and dentist offices. That way people can "discover" it on their own without feeling pressured or 'judged' by someone they don't know handing out flyers.

Pilaf
Jan 29th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Did you get to meet her, Pilaf?

Hehehe...not yet. I'm gonna meet her sometime next year I believe.

At this point I don't really care about the adult stuff anymore. I just wanna meet the girl who showed me the light in person. :)

thecatspajamas1
Jan 29th, 2006, 06:19 PM
When I leave pamphlets in the dorm bathroom, someone always puts them in the garbage!

This morning I slipped pamphlets under people's doors. I don't know if that's allowed, but the chinese food restaurants always put menus under our doors...

Pilaf
Jan 29th, 2006, 06:23 PM
I try to be more discreet than that. I leave them in library books I borrow, etc. Or just slip them between books at the library or behind videos at the video stores.

kriz
Jan 30th, 2006, 04:04 AM
You guys are so creative...I love it! Library books, huh...:)

pat sommer
Feb 26th, 2006, 11:52 PM
I make mental notes on appropriate news items (non AR sources) to drop into conversation... 1 in every 100 pints of milk has MAP bacterium (TB) or the amount of putrifying waste in average male omni gut. trying to act shocked while recounting details is half the fun!

No, I don't expect it wins over converts but it is the carrot-and-stick routine as I then extole the virtues of falafel for lunch. Try some?

DancingWillow
Mar 1st, 2006, 07:42 PM
Many great ideas here...bathroom doors, library books, and I love the boots one:D I'd love to do something similar with leather jackets.

I was had to fly this weekend, and I wish I had some vegan pamphlets/magazines to leave in the airplane seat pockets, behind the safety instructions, so that the flight attendants won't see them and throw them out. And of course some pamphlets in airport waiting areas would be great too! So much waiting is involved in flying and bored people will read just about anything, so it might as well be something useful and thought-provoking;)